Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do FF babies need to drink water?

Default Do FF babies need to drink water?

Sorry...another newbie FF question! I have no idea, I BF'd DS till he was 18 months so this is very new to me!

I am still BFing my 2 month old DD but she is now on 3 FFs a day and it is inevitable that she will be fulltime FF before long. Am I supposed to offer her drinks of water too? On a regular basis, or only if it's hot? How much?

Thanks!

All 5 of my babies have been ff and from 6 months onward i offered them a sippy cup with cooled boiled water.

She wont need water at this age, she will be getting more than enough fluids from both the BF and the FF. If it is particularly hot then you could give her a tiny bit or another milk feed, but at her age she really doesn't need it as it will fill her up too much and she will cut back on milk feeds.

I started both of my kids with cooled boiled water when they started solids (at 5 months). Otherwise i dont think they really need it unless its a super hot day and they have been sweating a bit.
    Re how much.. i just fill a sippy cup up for DD and let her sip at her own pace throughout the day. She doesnt always drink the lot.. sometimes only has a small amount.

Best of luck.

the only boiled cooled water Jack takes now..is if he is constipated..and it is only 30mls at that....

My MCHN told me to add 15 - 30 mls to each bottle of formular or give some boiled water out of a bottle if she will take it.
    Bella will some times drink the water between feeds if she will not then I add the extra water to her bottles.
    HTH
    Kate

adding extra water to formula is not a good idea (unless your GP or Pead advises)

your bub will be getting everything he needs from your breastmilk. Once he is Fully FF then yes, its good to offer them some cool boiled water in between feeds to keep them well hydrayted. Its a pity formula doesnt have 2 sections like the Breast milk.

Mia has more water on a hot day. I rather give her this than more formula coz it upsets her tummy.

ahhhh Katones.. u like my ticker? lol

(sorry just had to put that in)

Jack BARELY drinks the water when offered it...splutters/coughes coz it isn't formula

Quote Originally Posted by katones View Post
    adding extra water to formula is not a good idea (unless your GP or Pead advises)
    I agree 100%! NEVER mess with formula and water levels!

Maybe I will just keep offering the water between feeds then and not adding the extra to the formular. I wonder why the nurse would tell me that??

i asked our pead about adding extra water to FF and he said NO..just offer boiled cooled water (30mls with a tad sugar in it) The reason i asked was because of constipation..BUT he said the cooled water should help with that

I hope I have done no damage! I am feeling sick now about it... I was just trusting what the mchn said to do... she even wrote it on a piece of paper for me..

Kafer - don't stress - lots of people get told the same thing. The fact that there is a huge warning against doing it on the formula tins doesn't seem to be paid any attention by most professionals

Mel,
    Yeah and I read it but thought that if the nurse said it was OK then it was..
    Feel silly and like a bad mum now!!

Don't feel silly. These are the people that are supposed to know best. And if you are new in the job - you do what trusted people tell you to do.

My doc told me the same thing the other day about Miss M. I didn't take his advice - I just gave her water in a sippy cup

nah don't feel like a bad mum!!!! i donged Jacks head today (accidently) god did i feel bad!!!!! poor little mite....
    no harm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast