Thread: Do you warm your babies bottles or use room temp water? why/why not?

Default Do you warm your babies bottles or use room temp water? why/why not?

Another dumb question but I just wanted to know if you warm your babies bottles? Is their a science with this? as in would the baby get a tummy ache if you just gave them room temp water (that was boiled of course!)

If you do warm the bottle do you just warm the water first then add the formula or do you do it after you have made it up?

Filled the bottles with boiled water every night, then served at room temp after formula added the next day.

I warm the bottle because I find the formula doesn't clump that way, also because the warm milk seems to help her go to sleep. I basically fill the jug first thing in the morning then everytime i go to use it switch the jug on to boil then once its warm enough put it in the bottle then add the formula, actually im the only one I know that does it this way but if im going out I boil it and leave it in the nappy bag to cool .

Oh the science of bottle making
    Last edited by MummaBee; May 26th, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma09 View Post
    Filled the bottles with boiled water every night, then served at room temp after formula added the next day.
    Exactly That!

I gave my DS all of his bottles at room temp, it made it very easy when we were out about - didn't need to find a way to warm it up!
    Was easier that he preferred it like that over it warm as well

I warmed the bottles for my girls because they were precious little princesses that wouldn't drink it at room temperature!!! It would have made life soooooo much easier if they did like room temperature, so if you can get away with it with your LO I would.

I would warm the water, then add the formula.

I warmed DS's bottles made them up then warmed. At first we used a bottle warmer the the mirowave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always warmed,
    As unnatural as formula is, it seems to me to be really odd to feed a baby cold milk.
    But maybe thats just me......

Default Do you warm your babies bottles or use room temp water? why/why not?

Microwave warm used here... Hospital told us to use a cup of boiling water but this took to long and the microwave made life much easier! Especially for night feeds.

Sometimes I had the kettle full of already boiled water, would heat that for 40seconds or whatever and add formula. Other times I pre made all the daily bottles with formula and then warmed in microwave when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma09 View Post
    Exactly this. Room temp here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made my bottles blood warm (i.e. can't feel the temperature of the liquid when you drop it on your wrist).

I used to fill bottles with boiled water to half way and let them cool down. When I needed to make a bottle, I just added boiling water to the right level and the formula.

Both my boys refused bottles unless they were blood warm.

Room temp here too.

Thanks girls - very interesting as I thinking bout breast milk and its certainly not heated up! lol

Not that I have bottle fed but especially a young baby I would heat it up as breastmilk is heated to about 37 degrees which is mums body temperature. Otherwise baby is taking energy to warm itself back up instead of digesting and putting that energy to good use. When the baby is older though room temperature would be ok.

DS#1 we warmed the water at first in a cup of boiling water but then in micro added formula and off we went PIA!! it was
    DS#2 room temp boiled water from word go no tummy problems happy as a lark, he is on cows milk now and only the last few nights with it being cold have we wamred the milk slightly

I always warmed DD water prior to adding the formula. DD was a winter baby & I thought there would be nothing worse than giving her a cold/luke warm bottle plus like one of the others said, the forumla mixes easier

on a journey called life, finding our way home

We always warmed our bottles up, your breast milk is your body temp so its warm anyway.
    I we live in a cold place and I didnt like giving my babies cold milk.
    I was always told to warm the water then add the powder as you shouldnt warm pre made formula in the microwave. You can warm it in hot water though.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzberry View Post
    Thanks girls - very interesting as I thinking bout breast milk and its certainly not heated up! lol
    But it is!
    We run our spa at 37 deg and it certainly is not room temp (its comfortably hot, really).
    Body temp is really very warm.
    Room temp water is probably only 15-20 deg.
    I would think that feeding a very young baby(who cant regulate its own body temp) cold fluids would actually be a bad idea.
    Why would you not want to heat it?

Quote Originally Posted by Razzberry View Post
    Actually it is heated - 37 degrees at body temperature!

I used to warm them in the microwave. The danger with that though (and why the hospital doesn't recommend it) is because it doesn't heat evenly. I just made sure I would shake it really well before I gave it to them.

Mine were precious little bundles too that totally refused their bottle if it wasn't a "perfect temperature".