Thread: Formula....

Default Formula....

Hi, just wondering has anyone used the formula Bellamy's? And does anyone have any feedback on Nans HA 1 Gold? Thankyou

Haven't tried Bellamy's sorry, but my DS did have NAN HA Gold. We never had any problems with it. He didn't get constipated and the smell of the formula was not as strong as some of the others. I only found out later that HA stood for Hypo Allergenic and we could have just used NAN but by that time he was 10mths old and we didn't want to change.

Hope this helps.

Hansie

We used the nan HA gold. It was what the hospital started him on when my milk didn't come in and we just continued with it.

My baby tolerated it quite well and had no issues. We have since moved on to the stage 2 nan HA gold and he's doing well on that one as well.

I'm actually pretty happy that we did start on it - if he has any dairy foods we find ourselves in puke city. It's also like that if he has any non-HA formula. It appears that he has a slight dairy intolerance and that we escaped finding out earlier because the HA formula is easier on his tummy and he can digest it without issues. I have no experience with the Bellamy's, and I don't know anyone who has used it.

BW

Thankyou BW and Hansie, I'm using Bellamy's (which is an organic product) at the moment, but he is feeding very frequently, every 2 hours sometimes or less, which seems alot with formula. This is our first bub, 4 weeks old tomorrow, all very new and exciting. Some family have suggested that maybe this formula doesn't have enough "guts" to it, this is why he is feeding so frequently???? He does like Nan also, just thought the organic product may have been more natural, which we really like, but it's all about our little son that he is happy and getting enough. Lizzy

My bubba was having feeds around every 3 hours then but how much is he eating every feed?

He is feeding anywhere between 80 - 120 mls!!! He was born 6lb and is putting on weight well, Maternal Nurse happy with his gain. Go back Monday for 4 week checkup. He is 4 weeks tomorrow, he is now about 7lb or a bit more. He is feeding anywhere between 1 hour 45 mins to 2 and a half hours, he is a hungry bub. Have also tried water in between feeds as I was adviced.

my DS skipped to 100mls every feed about 125 after formula is added every 3 to 4 hours and not long after that was feeding every 4 hours 150mls i totally think it depends on the bub it should settle down soon and he'll have more per feed and space them apart

Thanks, I'm sure it will settle. Sometimes he just won't take anymore though, but then is awake in another hour or two hungry!! Maybe he is playing catch up!

Have had to change formulas, have been recommended by maternal health nurse S26 or Karicare, due to them keeping bub fuller for longer. My baby is feeding so frequently and large amounts she thinks maybe the formula I was using was not quite enough for him. Has anyone got any dvice or have used either of these two products? Thanks Lizzy

i use Karicare. its been really good for DS as its very similar to BM in consistency. as for feeding more often my DS was like that. he was the same on BM and FF. some babies just drink more- the way i look at is dose every one eat the same amount every day? why should babies? (my DS at two months was drinking upto 140mls every 3.5hrs with a 4.5-5hr stech over night.)

S26 also has a rep for constipation in babies. HTH

Question How many feeds on formula?

Thanks Dansta for the feedback. Visited the Maternal Health Nurse yesterday, he has gone from just under 6lb when born to 8lb 3!!! He is a month old and she is telling me he should only be having 600mls of formula a day. I'm confused as the Karicare can has a rough guide and it works out to be about 900mls if following the guide and having 6 feeds a day for his age. The problem is sometimes he only wants 50 ml, sometimes 80ml. Also he has one 4 - 4.5 hour sleep at night, then the rest are 2.5 to 3 hours, and only one 4 hour during the day. The rest are maybe and hour or two here or there, he is very alert and awake during the day. I'm worried about overfeeding the the nurse seemed to think thats what I'm doing by his weight gain. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I have swapped to Karicare as the nurse thought that my bub may be digesting the other too quick thats why he is hungry all the time.

My DD never had what it said on the tin she would only drink small amounts too 50-100mls and never drank more...even when she was alot older the most she ever drank was 120mls. I had dd on heinz after trying alot of other formulas. it doesnt sound to me like you are overfeeding so i wouldnt be worried if Ds is alert and happy and putting on weight. just have a bit of trust in yourself and try not to worry too much what ppl tell you. My gp gave me totally different advice to the health nurse so i stopped going to the nurse and just got DD weighed and checked at the gp.
    the guide on the tin is just that a guide and every bub is different.

Hi lucylu, thanks for your advice, sometimes he has 100ml to 120ml, I was just worried because of what the health nurse was saying about 600mls, meaning 100mls every 4 hours. I feed him when he is hungry, sometimes it's 50ml, sometimes 100ml! . First time Mum, I'm just trying to go with what he wants! Thankyou