Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which formula for newborn being born 36wks6days?

Default which formula for newborn being born 36wks6days?

Due to brain surgery last year I can't breastfeed.
    Now I have to deliver bub early so they can take out my gall bladder at same time. It's happening Friday.
    I need to bring formula to hospital, I was going to get milkbank milk but too stressed to organise.

37wks is full term I think but does the bub need different formula?

Karicare I've been told is gentler on tummies?

I'm really clueless as my 4 year old was breastfed for two years.

Thanks for your help.

Hun, we've tried 4 different formulas here and eventually settled on Nestle Nan as it gave DS the least amount of wind. I'm sorry you have no choice in b/f this time, hope all goes well for you on Friday.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Hugs so sorry to gear you had surgery and had decision of how to feed taken out your hands.

No need to use a different forumla, Karicare or Nan seems to be better on tummies, S26 and S26 gold tend to consipate babies a bit more due to increased iron in forumla.

Good luck I hope all goes well for you xoxo

My kids were on nan in hospital it's what they preferred. Hope it all goes well.

You must be getting so excited that you are going to meet your little one soon! Sorry to hear you had brain surgery and that you now have to have your gall bladder out. I've had my gall bladder out and luckily things went pretty smoothly even though my surgeon said he'd "never seen a gall bladder that looked like that", lol! Best of luck for the birth and surgery.

I don't know anything about formula (my toddler and 4 month old are both tandem feeding), but if you wanted help getting breastmilk (even just as a supplement to the formula), I would be more than happy to help you. Even if it is just to put you in touch with some people that could help. I'm not sure what state you are in though. If you were close by I would even offer my own milk as I am a milk donor already. If you want any extra information please feel free to reply or pm me. It must be a busy time for you so I totally understand if it's all a bit too difficult at the moment, I just wanted to put the offer out there just in case

DS was born at 38wks. The midwives recommended the Gold formulas - Nan HA Gold was what we started on but it made DS constipated after a few weeks. We've also tried Karicare Gold but he started having reflux symptoms so we changed to Nan Pro Gold and that's been working well.

Apparently Nan HA is supposed to be the closest to breast milk. I used this when DD2 weaned but she ended up on S26, but not the gold as that made her vomit too much. Good luck for next Friday! I will be expecting an sms from your DH xxx

I thought most.people tried to stay clear of nestle? More protest than anything else about many issues (islanders being told formula is better but mixing it with dirty water when they could have breastfed etc)

My sister in law has a 2 month old and when she gets into a routine has offered a bottle of breastmilk now and then! But thank you for breastmilk offer!

Should still be able to provide bub colustrum (comes from relaxin not prolactin, I have relaxin!) But now with gall bladder op keyhole spots I hope it doesn't hurt to feed bub that!

A week after I had my gall bladder out from a keyhole surgery I was completely back to normal. Even drove myself to the post op check. If it's the same as my surgery, you'll probably have 4 incisions. 3 of them didn't even have any stitches. They were just taped closed. The 4th was the one around the belly button that the put the camera down and also pull the gall bladder out through. I had 3 little stitches in that one. The actual incisions themselves weren't very painful. The worst pain I had was "referred pain". Straight after surgery I had a great deal of pain in my right shoulder whenever I started to sit up. Except, it wasn't actually my shoulder that hurt at all. The phrenic nerves that run from your diaphragm meet your spine at the same point as nerves from your right shoulder. Because your brain isn't used to getting conscious sensory messages from your diaphragm, when the diaphragm sends sensory messages your brain interprets them as your shoulder hurting. So you "feel" your shoulder pain, but it's actually your diaphragm. And the reason your diaphragm is sending messages is because it gets irritated by the carbon dioxide that gets pumped into your abdominal cavity during surgery (to make space and so the surgeons can see what they are doing) and not all of it comes out when they are done. It gets absorbed into your body over time, but until it does it can irritate your diaphragm whenever you sit up and it rises under your diaphragm. Apparently it usually lasts 3 days at most, but mine was 6 days.

If you find you get this pain you might try breastfeeding while laying down to avoid the carbon dioxide from rising

A week after I had my gall bladder out from a keyhole surgery I was completely back to normal. Even drove myself to the post op check. If it's the same as my surgery, you'll probably have 4 incisions. 3 of them didn't even have any stitches. They were just taped closed. The 4th was the one around the belly button that the put the camera down and also pull the gall bladder out through. I had 3 little stitches in that one. The actual incisions themselves weren't very painful. The worst pain I had was "referred pain". Straight after surgery I had a great deal of pain in my right shoulder whenever I started to sit up. Except, it wasn't actually my shoulder that hurt at all. The phrenic nerves that run from your diaphragm meet your spine at the same point as nerves from your right shoulder. Because your brain isn't used to getting conscious sensory messages from your diaphragm, when the diaphragm sends sensory messages your brain interprets them as your shoulder hurting. So you "feel" your shoulder pain, but it's actually your diaphragm. And the reason your diaphragm is sending messages is because it gets irritated by the carbon dioxide that gets pumped into your abdominal cavity during surgery (to make space and so the surgeons can see what they are doing) and not all of it comes out when they are done. It gets absorbed into your body over time, but until it does it can irritate your diaphragm whenever you sit up and it rises under your diaphragm. Apparently it usually lasts 3 days at most, but mine was 6 days.

If you find you get this pain you might try breastfeeding while laying down to avoid the carbon dioxide from rising

For my DS1 I used Nan Ha from birth up to when he could switch to cows milk. I did alot of research and this one seemed to be the best option for us at the time.
    If you are worried about Nestle, then perhaps you could look up what is in the Nan Ha and see if another company makes the same,

After 9 formula's Reflux ,wind bringing up all her bottles on some formulas NAN HA is the best and Ella has no problems with it.
    Where my 3 boys where all on s26 with no problems so it just depends on what bub does well on.

Most hospitals will reccomend Nan HA My DD was on S26. I would have put her on NAN if I could afford it at the time.

I started my bub on s26 original and she was vomiting a lot. She was vomiting before I changed her from breast to bottle, but with her continuing to vomit, I changed her to s25 gold as it is supposedly easier to digest. She stopped vomiting as much, but is still vomiting. I have had recommendations to use Nan HA, and looking through this thread, many others recommend it too... it is the formula that the hospital use, but I thought I would try her on s26 as thats what my other children were on... I will now consider trying her on Nan HA...

My bub was born at 36w4d...

P.S sorry to hear of the struggles you have been through... you have had it tough.
    Big hugs xxx

Congrats on your little girl!
    I just had a thought - any allergy issues in your families? Might be a consideration when choosing a formula. Hopefully you've got all that sorted now anyway

Definitely a gold formula and Nan and Karicare were best for our DD when she had top ups and stopped BF. S26 didn't agree with her at all and the poos on S26 are horrid

Good luck!

We also were advised to use Nan HA for my DD.

Yes, I have noticed there is a boycott on Nestle products but continue to use NEstle as my DD has had no tummy issues on Nan Ha.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast