Thread: Have to use formula ... recommendations

Question Have to use formula ... recommendations

Hi all,

As a few of you may know, my wife has been extremely sick now for nearly three weeks. Recently, she has been too sick to feed Olivia at night. As of this morning, we have enough breast milk left in the fridge for one more night

So, sadly, I need to buy formula for the first time. My work knowledge says that there is no difference between formulas, but I guess the father in me is looking for something that helps me decide which formula is better. I just want the best for Olivia, IYKWIM? Does anyone have any recommendations?

julesr Guest

My DS is breastfed and the only formula he will take is Bellamy's Organic - it's much sweeter than the other formulas I tried, kind of milkshakey, it's hard to describe (no added sugar, I checked). I'm very happy with it (plus it's Australian made and organic which I love), but you will only find it in a large Coles or Woolies/Safeway, it's not a mass produced brand on the same scale as S26, Karicare, Heinz etc. My MCHN says that in her experience babies have more trouble with S26 than any other brand but of course many babies have no trouble with it. My DS spat it out! He looked as if he might consider Karicare but I couldn't stand the smell of it myself. He took to the Bellamy's instantly.

I taste-tested them all myself just out of curiosity and I must say that if I were a baby I would prefer breastmilk! I personally thought the Bellamy's was tolerable (although I can't say I would have a tall glass of it LOL!)

NB: My DS never has as much as the can says "for his age" and we do find that he will only have a decent feed of formula if he's very hungry. I had to introduce a bottle a day to give myself a break because I haven't been able to express.

I hope your wife recovers soon.
    Last edited by julesr; April 30th, 2007 at 10:06 AM.

If price is not a consideration, you could go for one of the 'gold' formulas, they are supposed to be better, although there is no evidence that they provide any benefits over regular formula. From my own experience the most commonly used brands are Karicare and S-26. But really when it comes down to it, there really is no way of telling which formula is better, as it really is a matter of personal preference. There is a perception out there that cheaper formulas must not be as good, but that is not necessarily true. I use Heinz formula which has been fine for us and is not too expensive.

The only thing I will say is get one that is Whey Dominant as they are meant to be easier to digest and also closer (slightly) to breast milk. Most starter formulas are whey dominant.

HTH!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I was warned against s26 by my mchn as well. I used Karicare gold for my 1st son and then I used Nan Gold for my 2nd after he didn't particularly like Karicare.

Karicare has more water per scoop of formula and the MCHN told me it was more gentle on their stomach.

I too hope your wife improves very very soon!

julesr Guest

PS: We did have issues with the actual teat of the bottle too. He would take the formula from a Tommee Tippee bottle but not from an Avent bottle...

Kirsty77 Guest

I have used s26gold for both my girls. Like you said though all formulas are basically exactly the same, its your personal choice.

we used SMA as my son was chewing through S26 and not gaining weight. dr said SMA is the same frmula by the same people but thicker (and cheaper) unfortunately he was only BF for 3 weeks as my milk didnt put weight on other of my kids. i know if you opt formula in hjospital my SIL was given NAAN GOLD.

maybe give your gp a call, but it really is just personal preference and even ask at the chemist which they recommend.

My Twins were on S26Gold. The ladies in special care nursery said the Karicare gold and S26 gold were basically the same.

I've used Karicare gold for both my kids it's my personal choice. WE've had no issues at all with with.

Ellie

Jesse was on Heinz Nuture Gold 1 from 9 days until 6 months. That worked fine. We then moved him up the the Heinz Nutrute Gold 2 and he was contipated from when we made the change. His poos turned extremely dry, black and dark green and pebblish. That went on for 2 weeks with no change. He would only ever drink half a bottle of the heinz towards the end. So i bought S26 Gold #2 and his poos went back to normal and he now drinks the whole thing. So depending how old your baby is. i still found Heinz good for the first 6 months but with future children ill just be buying the S26 Gold from word go.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; April 30th, 2007 at 03:34 PM.

I introduced 1 bottle of formula a day from when Xander was 6 months old... the only formula that he'll accept as a comp to breastmilk is the Heinz Nurture. It is probably one of the cheapest available, but is whey dominant so easy to digest. I've never bothered with the Follow-On formula as I've heard a lot of bubs get constipated from it (as they are casien dominant) and the From Birth ones contain all they need anyway.

Hope ur wife gets better soon...we use Karicare gold + and have had no problems

I first gave Lily Karicare but it gave her really bad diarrhea. So i put her on S26 gold and she stayed on that until 12 months old. DS was S26 gold for about a week but hated it so we gave him SMA until 6 months and then he decided he didn't like that anymore so now he's on Heinz Nurture.

Hi Schmickers, I hope your wife gets better soon.

I have DD on Nan 1HA Gold. We started on S26 but it made her constipated. I've been told Nan is the closest in consistency to breast milk.

HTH

MG

Michael, I hope Victoria is getting better huni. I will be sure to give her another call tomorrow. What a sorry pair the 2 of us are hey. Give her my love and a huge cuddle. Wish I was there with her. I know how much this would be killing her to have to do the whole formula thing.

Oh yeah, sorry, can't help you on the formula hun. Just tell Olivia to sleep through and your problem will be solved hun If only hey.

So you don't feel left out a big cuddle and kiss for you too sweety. And for the princess's.

Hi Michael We use Karicare for our twin girls and we have never had any problems...Hope your wife is feeling better soon....