Thread: heating bottles in microwave

Smile heating bottles in microwave

hi, im due to have #3 in 5 weeks i bottlefed my last 2 kids but never heated bottles in microwave
    but im wanting to heat in microwave this time around cause i have a special needs child i need to heat bottle fast but safely
    can anyone please tell me how i go bout heating in mirowave do i just heat bottle with water with or without lid than add forumla&shake or
    do i heat bottle with water&formula with or with out lid than shake & most important how long do i heat in microwave for
    thankyou for you suggestions.

I used to heat with formula added. I took the lid off so the teat wouldn't get hot (actually saw a teat explode once!) & make sure you shake well so there are no hot spots
    I would take out & feel after 20 seconds, then go 10 seconds at a time. You'll find if the bottle has been in the fridge it might need 40 - 50 seconds, if not 20 - 30 seconds should be enough depending on the microwave.

thanks clover i will defently be taking the lid & teat off how long did you heat in microwave? & was that after was in fridge or just made up thanks

I personally would not use the microwave, but instead, what I do is make up all my bottles using cooled bolied water, but leaving space for adding some boiled water to bring it up to the temp I need, then add the formula and shake and go. But, what I do is just leave a small amount of water in my kettle, so it boils quickly. This works well for me at nights, when you need to get a bottle quickly. Not sure if this will help at all... Good luck... xo

What I've found works for me is -
    make up all bottles with only cooled boiled water and store in fridge
    heat bottle of water (without lid & teat) in microwave for 25 seconds
    Add formula and shake VERY well (so no hot spots)

I have a 1100 watt microwave, and only heat the bottle to room temp - not very warm at all. You may want to heat longer if you want the milk warmer, but just be careful to shake very well to avoid hot spots as ~clover~ mentioned.

HTH

I also wouldn't put your bottles in the microwave unless they are glass or BPA free...otherwise you never know what horrible chemicals may leach out of the plastic when it gets heated up...

I do the same as rufalina, fill bottles up to a certain point then refrigerate and when I need them top them up with boiled water. We have an Awesome Water cooler/heater which is always on, so I always have almost boiled water available. But if you boil the kettle 10-15 mins before you need it, you should be right.

I used to heat mine with lid and teat off and for 20secs straight from the fridge already made up. Like Clover I would give a really good shake when done (with lid and teat on of course ).
    I never did any longer than 20secs as it was quite handy getting them used to coolish formula so when I went out I just gave it to him without warming it at all.

We made about 5 or 6 bottles up with formula and water every night to go in to the fridge for the next day.

Heating times depend on the amount of liquid and the wattage of your microwave, but once you get the magic number it's easy as.

We zap a 240ml bottle (cows milk) in our 1000w microwave for 53 seconds and as the others have mentioned, without the lid pushed on or take off completely, plus give a good shake.

Good luck

I do up my 240ml bottles and pop them in the fridge, then heat them in the microwave before adding formula. In my microwave, refrigerated (cold) bottles take 46 seconds to get to the desired temperature, I usually take the cap off but leave the teat on. Give the bottle a good shake to ensure the heat has been evenly distributed, then chuck the scoops of formula in and shake again.

You'll figure out pretty quickly how long you need to microwave your bottles for, some microwaves take 20 seconds, some take a minute - just play around and it'll become clear in just a few feeds how long your microwave needs HTH!

thankyou all for your repleys handy tips!
    i am using bpa free bottles
    i will have a go in my microwave & test out temp before baby comes just to get idea
    i used to prepare all my bottles up with other 2 kids & have in fridge i just heard that zapping in microwave can take some out of formula
    but i will probley add the formula after heating water
    thanks again for all your help

i just went&tryed out one of my bpa bottles i have a 850 watt microwave & 20 sec was warm enough after good shake (no formula added of course) but i will put a bottle in fridge& heat up & see how long to heat up too & as i get closer to my due date will do a test with formula so i have fair idea instead of coming home trying to work it out with a hungry baby lol
    thanks again ladys helped me out lots

Just a thought - do you have to heat at all? My little man has always had his bottles at room temperature and has never known anything different. I was never told to heat them up in the first place so never did.

His feeding has always been great and it doesn't seem to bother him.

I just fill the sterilised bottles with cooled boiled water and leave in the cupboard. The formula is added when it is time for the feed.

i dont think has to be i think just warms good but if been if the fridge be nice to have a little warm i did heat with other 2 but everyone has there own way of feeding i must say i was always told to put the bottle in fridge not on bench but in saying that its just water isnt it so its a good thought be intersting to see how many others just leave there bottle filled with cooled bolied on bench & just add formula

I was always told you couldn't leave bottles on benches as there was the risk of nasties growing in the water - exposure to germs starts the second you pop open your steriliser, kwim? Some babies prefer their feeds at room temp, others like it heated to more closely resemble the temperature of breast milk (body temp, around 35-40C), so if you manage to get a bub who doesn't mind either way, that'd work too HTH!

thats true i always got told bout the nastys if kept outside off the fridge i think warmed up is nice in winter its cold down here drops down to 6 & below during the nite & so be nicer to have a belly full of warm milk lol but like you said every babys diffrent too