Thread: An hour to drink a bottle???

Default An hour to drink a bottle???

Newborn DD is taking over an hour to drink her bottles...she is only having 90mls at a time?? ive tried changing her nappy before a feed and inbetween but she still nods off and if i try to put her down before i finish she wakes straight away just about chewing her hand off.
    DD#2 never took so long to finish a bottle but i used different bottles with her so i dont know if thats it or if its just the every baby is different thing.
    It isnt an issue that it takes an hour im just concerned this is a long time for her to be awake?? sometimes after she has finished the bottle she still takes over 30 mins to settle back to sleep so she is kind of awake for over an hour and a half.

DD1 was a very slow drinker - she used to take up tp an hour to finish off 50ml... and would feed every 2 hours during the day. What bottles and teats are you using? I found using the "Y" teats with the pigeon bottles were the best for her.

mayb a faster teat will help?

This is very normal for a newborn. I wouldn't be concErned about the amount of time she is awake for. I'm not sure how old she is but from your ticker I'm assuming very new if so 90ml is heaps for her age. My dd's took 1hr to finish 70ml when they were tiny. She's probably still getting used to it all. I'm not sure about trying a faster teat unless she seems to be sucking too hard and not getting it fast enough kwim? Faster teats can give littlies bad wind if given too early. What bottles r u using? I don't think the type of bottle really matters imo. She's probably just taking her time with it all. She'll get quicker once she gets bigger.

thanks for your replys i'm using nuk bottles with nuk orthadontic anti colic teats so i went and bought normal stock standard teats and she took half the time to drink her bottle and seemed much eaiser to settle afterwards...before it was like it was making her sleepy working so hard to get the milk out. so hopefully we have it sorted for now.
    i forgot how much you stress about everything when they are newborn lol

That's great news! Those orthodontic ones can be a bit weird. Good on you for going with your insincts! You know best

last nite we got sleep can't belive how much difference a different bottle teat made

great to hear hun