Thread: How long to steralise and why do it anyhow?

Default How long to steralise and why do it anyhow?

First question- How long (until what age) do you need to steralise your baby's bottles?

Second question- Why do we steralise? I mean, today I was watching Peter play and EVERYTHING is going in his mouth, and its not like I steralise his toys (oh god, am I meant to??)- so why are we SO careful about their milk when they get lots of germs elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, my trust Avent steamer is in the micro ten million times a day, but I am just curious!!!

I know its the norm now adays not to sterilise but really when you have the convenience of a micro one or steam steriliser why not use it, I still do Jacks bottle and he is 2 tomorrow..

I don't sterilise anything this time. Though we're not using bottles at all, just dummies. I just wash them in hot soapy water maybe twice a day. With DD I sterilised until she was about 6mths, with the same thought as you, that she's licking the floor and stuff, so why sterilise?? I did it occaisionally, to make sure the bottles were clean, maybe every 2-3 days, but not daily. Both my kids are fine!

I dont steralize anything I just use hot soapy water and rinse in hot water. I work at a womens and childrens hospital and was told by the midwives that they dont steralize anymore and dont promote doing so. Amelie has (touch wood) not had any kind of sickness at all! But if you feel better doing it then I dont see why not and I have read that it is only needed until they one year old.

Wow I had heard from one lady that hospitals dont recommend sterilising anymore, I didn't know it was the norm!!

I sterilised DD's bottles & dummies for about the first 18 months. I'm sterilising DS's for at least the next 5-6 months, I just prefer to know the bottles & dummies have been sterilised.

I suppose it comes down to personal choice these days?

Oh wow, I thought it WAS the norm to steralise! Does anyone know why hospitals are not recommending steralising anymore?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

hmm we still tell people how to steralise but sayingthat in the hospital we use disposable bottle and teats so educte re all methods of sterlising and also check on dom visits re sterlising.

It was suggested to us by the health nurse to sterilise bottles but not anything else. Milk products contain heaps of bacteria, and they'll breed in the little spaces in the teat and bottle, so IMO it's worth sterilising items you use for milk.

I have never been told not to sterilise bottles etc, I have heard this through friends but for me I just couldnt not do it, I chose to sterilise untill all my children were atleast 1 year old, and if I were to have anymore I would also do the same again, I know when I was in hospital with my youngest, they used disposable bottles but they also had an avent electric steriliser to use if you had bottles to do or anything else, they obviously still expected that people would do this.

also I totally agree with Snacks here too

Milk products contain heaps of bacteria, and they'll breed in the little spaces in the teat and bottle, so IMO it's worth sterilising items you use for milk.

If you are using formula it is still important to sterilise because of the milk based bacteria - this can make bubs very sick if they ingest it. Apparently breast milk isn't the same (not sure why). I sterilised for the first 12 months and since then just hot soapy water. However I know others who have just done it for 6 months.

I've been told to do it til they are either 6 months or 12 months (can't remember who said what now). I've heard about the hospitals that don't recommend it at all but my health nurse says it's better to be safe and sorry, particularly with Melbourne's water being at it's lowest levels ever.

The nurse that runs my mothers group says that after they are crawling or walking there's no point in sterilizing as bubs is in contact with lots of germs anyway so soap and water is fine from then onwards. She also said not to vaccuum every day as your child will end up picking up more bugs if you do. I loved that little bit of info!!!!

My CHN said she recommends formula feeding mums sterilise bottles until 12 months. She said that the bacteria found in formula is not the same as everyday household bacteria and can be bad for bubs. She said if you use bottles for EBM then soap and water is fine as breast milk does not contain the bacteria.

She also suggests reading the dummy packaging as apparently some dummies say not to steam sterilise, I think it can weaken the rubber or something.

Never sterilised anything with DD. I wash bottles in dishwasher and teats in hot soapy water. DD is formula feed has a lot less colds/flu's stomach bugs than other bubs. Put dummies in dishwasher every now and then as well. She is a very healthy happy bubba.

jmmum, I was told that the the dishwasher actually sterilises the bottles due to the temp of the water - so that's another option if you don't want to or don't have a steam steriliser.

I sterilized for DS until the day he turned 1. Will do the same for DD. I guess in my eyes i see it as they use to say to do it for a reason. Maybe now our water isnt was bad or whatever.. but id still for peace of mind like to do it and know i did all i can to stop that bacteria upsetting DD's tummy. Last thing i need is another child with a bacterial case of gastro!!

Billy Ocean Guest

Hi all.

I agree with Snacks about the bacteria in the milk. I've been told by my MCHN to do it until he's one. No biggie, they're already washed, so it's no hassle to chuck them in the microwave! Better to be safe than sorry I reckon.