Thread: How old were your kids when they could bottle feed themselves?

Question How old were your kids when they could bottle feed themselves?

I think the title says it all . How old were your kids when they could hold their own bottle and feed themselves??? DD1 puts her hands in the right spot sometimes but is far too weak to hold the bottle herself.

Hmm... I know Aricyn was over 12 months. And Miss M looks to be following the same path - she's 11 months and won't hold her bottle. (not that they can't - they just WON'T)

another late one here.. DD refused to hold her own bottle till about 16 months. She could, but just wouldn't.. It wasn't until me and d/c threatened she wouldn't get one unless she held it herself that she started, LOL...

Far out! You replied before I could even click 'new posts' LOL.

Thanks for the info Mel, should I put her hands on the bottle every feed to get her used to it, or will she get the hang of it herself?

DS was probably around 8 month, maybe a bit earlier. It started by him putting his hand on the bottle, but not really holding it, then only holding it some of the time. Now he won't let us hold it!

I dunno Candice, I never forced the matter, I don't mind feeding them their bottle, its my job

I know people out there do put their child's hands around them and hold their fingers around it to train them to hold it themselves, but I dunno.. that just seems mean to me!! lol

They just do it when they are good and ready I think - not when I think they should be doing it.

I can't remember how old my lil man was but he's been doing it for ages. Maybe about 6 months, possibly younger. We used to get comments all the time about how well he did it at such a young age & I used to have women with 12 month & 18 month olds saying their kids still couldn't do it. He learnt to do it by lying flat on his back on the floor. These days he can sit almost upright in the stroller and do it & he's just turned 1.

Bella CAN do it but she has far better things to be doing with her hands at feedtime - like stealing my glasses, pulling my hair and stratching my nose

I love feeding her. It is my job as her mum! And it is our cuddle time .

Kate have I ever told you I luuuurv your siggy?

ITA, I love feeding Peter- even though he won't let us hold his bottle, I still sit with him on my lap. There's something special and soothing about it, especially the way they look up at you.

Except at 3am. Then I don't love feeding him quite so much!

Hehehe Thanks! I love your siggy too! Its yours and a few others that inspired me to do it!!

My DD was 4 months old - she has been very independant from the start and also loves her milk so I guess I wasn't holding it right or something. God help me when she's a teenager...

I don't know how old mine were when they could hold their own bottle. I preferred to feed them, I couldn't BF so I used feeding as bonding time, holding them while I fed them made me feel better for being unable to BF.

7 1/2 months.

Occasionally DD has a bottle of EBM and from about 12wks she started patting her bottle when i fed her and holding it a bit....
    I think it's important though to hold it for them. It's part of the whole nurturing thing... but also letting them hold it with you is nice

Brendan was approximately 14-15 months for memory....