Thread: I think it's time...

Unhappy I think it's time...

After having horrendous shooting pains whilst breastfeeding that could not be resolved, my LC & GP suggested I make the switch to formula when DD was 5 weeks old. I thought about switching, but I had really wanted to BF so I decided i'd express instead and since then have been exclusively expressing BM for her.

It's time consuming and as DF works away (he is only home 1 week and away for 2 weeks at a time), I'm finding it very stressful to continue to express every time she is sleeping, and as a result getting no sleep myself. My supply decreased so I went on meds to get it back up, but it's gone back down again even though i'm still taking them and i'm struggling to keep up with her feeds which is adding extra stress.

So basically I just don't think I can do it anymore and the time has come for me to make the switch to formula. I've passed the 3 month mark with EBM and although I had really wanted to make it to 6 months I just can't see it happening. I've pretty much made my mind up but have alot of guilt over my decision. My DF and family are very supportive of whatever I decide but I just can't help but feel as though i'm giving up.

I guess I just needed to write it down and let it out somewhere to hopefully get my head around it a bit better, and I thought here would be a good place to get the reassurance I'm after that i'm not a terrible mother for giving up so easily.

I've looked into it, and from what I can see alot of people recommend NAN pro Gold 1, does anyone have any additional advice for me regarding brands?

Thanks in advance

hi sweet,
    i would just like to say well done to making it this far i hope that i can make it to as long as that. i too have been having ALOT of bfing issues, nipple infections, breast infection, and i have wanted to give up SOO many times, but DH wants me to stick it out, if it were soley up to me i would have stopped by now,
    your very strong for making this far, its nto easy when ur in pain all the time. i can totally relate.
    You arent a bad mum, if anything your amzing for putting yourself through that for your baby. Youve done an awesome job and dont feel bad.
    good luck, i hope you start feeling better soon, and start getting some sleep.
    xxx

Wow, expressing full time is hard work - good on for doing it for so long. You have had a very difficult time with breastfeeding, and still your DD has been getting breast milk for all this time. Good on you hun - that's a fantastic effort.

I'm not sure what to say about the guilt - the thing with mothering is that the guilt seems to always be there no matter what you do. But it might help you to think of it like this. You have not failed and you are not giving up. Instead, you were faced with a situation that was out of your control (the pain), and despite that, you continued giving Emily breast milk for over 3 months. That is a huge achievement. You have done the very best you can to provide Emily with breastmilk for as long as possible - and that's the very best you can do. Try to think of it as a success - because that's actually what it is.

All the best with it all hun. We are always here if you need support.

I'm sorry you've had such trouble with breastfeeding. What a hard decision to make . You have given your DD a wonderful start in life with your breastmilk, and sounds like you have perservered through a lot of difficulties.

Try not to feel bad - you are doing what is best for you and your DD in your situation .

Janine, please don't think that you are giving up too easily. You have done a fantastic job to express for so long. I struggled to express once or twice per day in the early weeks, and my DH was home to help. You should be very proud of what you have managed to achieve.
    Guilt is something that goes hand in hand with being a parent and will always be there. As MR said, think of it as a success because it is. You have given Emily the best start possible, so please don't feel as though you have failed.

Sweets, I am a former expresser myself.
    You have done a wonderful job!!!!

Full time expressing is extremely hard, time consuming and sleep depriving. It can be painful and very draining. It is physically and emotionally tiring.

You have not failed, you gave her milk for 3 months!!!

I too felt extemely guilty when I stopped, (there were posts here somewhere) and its the BB girls that let me know what an achievment it is. And IT IS babe.

You have done a wonderful selfless thing for your daughter. The personal guilt will wane sweets, and the day will come when you see how wonderful your gift of all that milk was!!

So big congratulations sweets, you have done a beautiful and amazing job.....

hi hun, ypu have done great, i had the same pains and bleeding nipples and only got to 1 week fully BF and the next week EBM by 3 weeks old on formula so yeah, good on ya!!!

DD started on s26 but upset her tummy been on nan pro gold since then no probs. bit more $$ than s26 but goes on special pretty often at chemists etc. HTH

I just wanted to say congratulations for getting to the 3 mth mark!! Well done hun!

I know how you feel about the guilt factor and feeling you're letting everyone, especially DD down, but please hun - know that she also needs a happy mum, and if all of this is paying its price on your happiness (additional stress), IMO it aint worth it. You have given it a great shot thus far too (as you've said you've been dealing with your GP and a LC about this) - so its not like you haven't tried hun...I have been there - twice now, but never got so far as 3 mths, so I'm jealous!

As for brands we started DS on S26, and he seemed overly windy sorta, so we switched to Karicare Gold and we've been cruising ever since. With DD it was opposite, started on Karicare Gold (I liked the picture of the bear on front ), and then to S26 and that was working great for her too.

Firstly a HUGE congratulations to you for reaching the three month milestone, what a brilliant milestone you must be so very proud of every drop of liquid gold you have provided your wee wun.

I would really recommend joining the exclusive expresser group Here , if you want to continue and need so additional support for mums who have travelled the same/similar path to you.

But in the end you need to make the descion that will work for you and perhaps that is still some expressing and some formula just to give you a small break, I firmly beleive in a happy mum = a happy bub. That way you can give her all the antibodies that is in your BM.

Take care and wishing you all the very best.xxoo

Thanks for all your kind words of support. We started on the formula last night and she took to it like a duck to water, and I'm just going to express a few times a day when I have time and give her BM whenever I have enough for a bottle of it. It'll just take that stress of me having to have enough for each feed, this way if I have EBM i do, but if I don't I can just give her formula instead.

It was just so hard trying to keep up with her with EBM for each feed, especially when she's up and I was finding it hard to actually have the time to sit, relax and express.

I think this is a good compromise to start with and I'll just have to see what happens with my supply, if I lose it then so be it, but at least I'll be less anxious and stressed all the time like I was.