Thread: Karicare HA-AR - warning on can

Default Karicare HA-AR - warning on can

Last night we ran out of formula so I popped out to get some HA which we've been using for a while for our happy little chucker. They were out. I was tired & suffering from sciatica so couldn't be bothered going elsewhere so grabbed a can of HA-AR. It says on it that you should only use it under medical supervision. Anyone know what that's about? I also noticed it says the same on the HA.

Anyway I'm hoping I can continue to use it as he's had 2 feeds of it and hasn't bought up anything..... absolutely nothing. This has never happened before. I even used the same bib for both feeds which is completely unheard of in our household as they always get drenched.

Anyone know that the warning is about?

i dont know y ther warning is there. my doc told me HA was one of the best ones to use. also the AR is great for chucky babies.

I think it says it on all tins of formula simply because it states on the tins that breastmilk is best for babies, so to go to formula you are SUPPOSED to have gotten a docs opinion first..

Ellibam Guest

:yeahthat:
    i saw it in a chemist catalogue that was advertising formula.

queenbee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    I think it says it on all tins of formula simply because it states on the tins that breastmilk is best for babies, so to go to formula you are SUPPOSED to have gotten a docs opinion first..
    yep I agree with Arimeh...that's what my doctor said anyway

Yep, that's about the sum of it. Also with the HA-AR it is primarily for babies with allergies, or that MAY get an allergy (if a family member has an allergy etc). So I assume that you would probably be under a Dr's 'supervision' if there was an allergy risk anyway, as with reflux too.

Thanks everyone. I thought that might be the case. Both my DF & I have a history of asthma (my DF was so bad as a child he went to asthma camp - who knew they had such a thing) so from what I've read Brock is likely to either develop that or eczema. He's been rashy from early on & he's been a happy chucker from birth but the MCHN & GP aren't too concerned about it as he's developing well.

Just wish I found it earlier, but being determined that I was going to breastfeed I didn't do any research whatsoever into formula therefore was not at all prepared when BF didn't work out and just grabbed something in a hurry on the way home from hospital for his top up feeds.

Satya- my bubs is very chucky and I use the Karicare HA, and am considering using the HA-AR. Have you had to change teats to use it? Or can your LO suck it out of your normal bottles?

amberj - Neither HA-AR or AR go well with the Avent teats I have but they both work a treat with the Happy Baby bottles & teats.

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to stick to it though as today I found him to be a little chucky so if that continues we may as well stick to the AR. We also experienced a disgusting poo today so I think I'll see how that goes over the next few days before deciding which one to stick to. He's also woken for a feed two nights in a row which he very rarely does. This was because he's sleeping longer in the day on it so he skipped a day feed. Who knows what tonight will bring.

The HA formulas are modified to be hypoallergenic. They should only be commenced on a doctor's recommendation for that reason. The AR formulas are slightly thickened to help prevent reflux, and for that reason, once more, are usually started on a doctor's recommendation.