Thread: Length of Time between feeds

Default Length of Time between feeds

Hi all,

Just wondering what stretch of time overnight your formula fed baby was doing between feeds at 3 months?

DS2 is now 3 months old and is doing 5 hours (from start of last feed in the evening till start of middle of the night feed). Occasionally he'll do 6 hours. When DS1 was this age he started going from 8:30pm-5:30am and we are so far off that with DS2.

Everyone tells me not to complain and I know a lot of breastfeeding mothers are up lots more, but seriously I need my sleep and I don't handle sleep deprivation well! I should add that DS2 is a great little sleeper and is only waking up because he is hungry.

Please tell me if 5 hours is average, or less than average.

Five hours is pretty good! My twins where ff and they where still waking every four hours at that age. Do you go down to sleep when your little one does? Does he go back to sleep after his early morning feed? I know it's tough when your body is crying out for sleep!

At that age I was still up every 3 hours, she didn't give us 5 hour stretches til 8 months. What you have now with DS2 is very normal, DS1 was just a great sleeper.

Boo hoo. What I wanted to hear is that he will be going longer stretches very very soon!

But seems that it is normal. Bummer.

I am changing him up to a size 3 avent teat today in the hope that he will drink more during the day. Perhaps I need a week off night feeds, just to catch up on my 3 months of sleep debt - not going well without sleep and most things make me cry as I am just too tired. Sometimes I get a day nap if my mum comes over.

My DS was doing about 9+hours at 3months, and was doing 12ish at about 4months. There's hope he might start stretching it out soon.

*runs and hides*

Sahbear - that sounds what I'd like thanks! DS1 was similar to yours. I keep telling myself, it's just around the corner. Just a few more weeks.

Anyone else's baby doing long or short stints at 3 months?

I really think it depends on each baby - I breastfed and my DS was 8hrs overnight at 3mths, I considered myself especially lucky!!

Try to remember their tummies are still really little at that age and it's still a long time for them to go without food. A 5 hours stretch is great.
    Can you work around the stretch as it is? Can you get off to bed earlier and get your DH to do that feed so you can get a longer sleep?

Hi all! I have a 3 week old (will be 1 month on Thursday)
    He sleeps generally 4 hours more or less
    Last night he feed at 10pm fell asleep at 11.30pm
    And didn't wake up till 8am I thought that was
    amazing especially for his age!
    Should I wake him for feeds if he is doing this
    We have had other nights were he sleeps 5-6 hours
    Maybe we're a bit lucky?
    Oh any tips on settling after night feed?
    Some nights he is great and other nights
    it can take ages

No, I wouldn't wake your DS up if he is sleeping for a feed - He will wake if he is hungry.

It is hard to offer advice on settling after night feeds - can you elaborate?
    Eg: - Is he gulping whilst feeding and perhaps taking in alot of air, then getting a tummy ache?
    - Are you burping him during feeds or letting him feed straight through then burping him at the end? I used to give my DD a quick break during a feed for a burp then give her the rest of her bottle. She was never unsettled after a feed.
    Try to keep to the same thing you do for night feeds. ie: Keep it quiet, no talking or too much engagement, dim light/dark. Feed, change nappy, wrap, dummy or whatever is his sleep cue - this needs to be consistent so he knows it is sleep time.

It's hard when you are formula feeding because research shows that formula feeding mums get less sleep than breastfeeding mums (and yet we are often sold the opposite) Be kind to yourself. You can't change baby biology. They need to wake frequently and eat frequently - it's the way they are wired. And the good thing is it doesn't last forever, but it can be tough. Catch sleep wherever you can. Enlist help and support from family and friends. We've all been there, and so most have sympathy for new mums going through the sleepless times.

Thanks for the advice! With settling in between feeds he wakes up we feed him then change and then back to bed. Dim lights, no interaction, then
    He goes back to bed with a dummy however we have the battle
    of him wakin up when he spits it out this can go for an hour more sometimes
    and other nights he goes down with no issues at all!
    Not sure what else to do?

Quote Originally Posted by RhiChiChi View Post
    No, I wouldn't wake your DS up if he is sleeping for a feed - He will wake if he is hungry.

It is hard to offer advice on settling after night feeds - can you elaborate?
    Eg: - Is he gulping whilst feeding and perhaps taking in alot of air, then getting a tummy ache?
    - Are you burping him during feeds or letting him feed straight through then burping him at the end? I used to give my DD a quick break during a feed for a burp then give her the rest of her bottle. She was never unsettled after a feed.
    Try to keep to the same thing you do for night feeds. ie: Keep it quiet, no talking or too much engagement, dim light/dark. Feed, change nappy, wrap, dummy or whatever is his sleep cue - this needs to be consistent so he knows it is sleep time.