Thread: Lumps in Formula

Question Lumps in Formula

Hi, I am hoping someone can help with a question about formula please. I've just started using formula for my 5 month old daughter and every time I make up a bottle it seems to have a few 'lumps' of undissolved formula in it which get stuck in the teat hole and block it up. Does anyone have any tips for mixing up a bottle to avoid the lumps? At the moment I'm storing the bottles in the fridge three quarters filled with boiled water, then I add hot boiling water to warm it a little, then formula, then shake. I'm using both Avent and Tommee Tippee (closer to nature) bottles and it's happening with both of them. Also the anti-colic valve gets clogged on the Tommee Tippee ones...any help would be great!

Either use more hot water and wait for it to cool down before giving it, or make them completely up with hot water in advance, stick it in the fridge and reheat when time to eat.

The hospital I was at would make up the formula in advance and just reheat as neccessary - it will keep in the fridge (on a shelf, at the back) for 24 hours. And if you do it that way, you can use a blender to mix it all up.

I always likened it to making gravy. If you dump the powder straight in to hot water, it will go lumpy regardless of how vigorous you stir/shake it. So I always used cooled boiled water to make mine and then heated it up.

If you don't feel comfortable reheating the formula, put the powder in the bottle and then add a little water and stir until you get a paste. Keep adding water and stiring until all the water is in and you have a good consistency. However, I always found the first method (cooled water) was much more conducive to tired Mummy Syndrome

HTH

MG

I make my bottles up at night for the next day. I will boil the kettle and wait about 15 mins then make them up with the formula and I have never had any lumps at all. If I have made it with cold water thats when the lumps form.

Kate

What you are doing should work OK. Just make sure that you are not adding too much formula to the water and after you have added the formula perhaps try shaking it for a little longer.

It didn't seem to matter what temp water I added or how long I shook Karicare Gold for - to it ALWAYS went lumpy on me I switched to the normal heinz when Elly hit 6mnths (as was so much cheaper for us) and it ALWAYS dissolves regardless of temp ? ? ? So I dunno . . could it be a brand problem perhaps? ? ?

I heat my water first then add the formula. I find if the water is too cool it does go lumpy.

try swirling the bottle a little with the formula in it first before shaking it.