Thread: New to formula - baby drinking ALOT more formula than EBM

Question New to formula - baby drinking ALOT more formula than EBM

Hi

I am about 11 weeks pregnant and my DD weaned from the breast early pregnancy and I've been expressing full time for her. My supply has dropped significantly so we've been comping with formula - S26 Gold. She took the formula fine and originally it was supposed to be 1 bottle of formula/day BUT she seems to be hungrier so we've been giving her more. That's fine but it seems like she needs about 3 times the formula compared to 1 EBM bottle. Is this normal or do you think maybe this is just the wrong formula for her or ???? She's 9 months old and we are feeding her the number 2 type S26 - that's right isn't it?

Or maybe I should change brands? I seriously have no idea. Any suggestions or advice are welcomed please.

What kind/how many solids does she eat? How many breastfeeds was she having? At this age milk is still their primary food, but I have no experience with bottles. How many mls a day would she be drinking?

We do BLS but she eats bfast, morning tea, afternoon tea and dinner. I think she eats a fair amount compared to other kids her age - she has half a piece of toast for bfast plus some fruit and some dry crackers with cheese and vegemite for morning tea. Some fruit and yoghurt for afternoon tea and whatever we are eating for dinner. Dinner is her worst meal as she's so tired. She was drinking 500mls of EBM per day. Now she's on about 350EMB and up to 500mls of formula/day. It's bizarre. We're giving her the formula as her night feed (just because I express most in the morning and we try to give her fresh EBM) and she's been night waking STARVING. I thought she was just sucking for comfort, but drinking 250mls plus isn't comfort in my opinion.......

I'm not sure!! It's usually the reverse isn't it? That BM is digested easier and faster than formula? I wouldn't think the formula is wrong for her, unless she is having other problems like constipation or belly aches or anything.

Is it a particular feed of the day that she has formula? Is it possible she is just hungrier at this feed and would take the same amount of EBM?

I know Bec, that's what I thought "Isn't it supposed to be the other way around??" We've tried mixing the formula around in the time of the day but she still seems to want more milk after that feed. It's the most bizarre thing ever.

Hmm....I am stumped then!!

I hope someone else can give you an answer

*bump* Did anyone else experience this?

I don't think it is abnormal for her to want that much milk. Babies around that age need about 900mls of milk so what she's having sounds about right. She was probably always drinking that much when she was BFing but naturally you couldn't *see* how much.

I work fulltime so I was only BFing her morning and night and we knew how much she was drinking during the day but maybe you are right Trillian. Thanks everyone for your replies

Just trying to look outside the box here...

Babies tend to want to drink, drink and drink when they have a belly ache (from all the formula?)..

DD was on s26 GOLD at the age and was having 4-5 bottles of 250mls and eating pretty much the same solids as your DD.

or, she just might be a hungry bub and is going through a growth spurt.

And no, I don't think it is the wrong formula for her and trust me, after trying every formula under the sun... it makes no difference.