Thread: is this normal?

Default is this normal?

Hi, we have started bubs on formula due to circumstances from hossy. So I am partially breastfeeding and partially bottle feeding.

So far we have tried.

S26 gold - this makes her power chuck and smells awuful
    S26 original - still throws up considerably
    S26 anti reflux - this stays down and seems ok, makes her sleep a lot - the constipation factor worries me - we havent had a poo since I gave her this.
    Nan pro gold 1 - its ok so far but we are still having episodes of spewing. Although this is supposed to be the closest in texture to breast milk.

I am thinking we should have got the Nan HA gold, as this seems to be the most popular and recommended by most people.

What are your thoughts?

We used the nan HA gold. Sam tolerated it quite well - we didn't find out until much later that he has a slight intolerance to some dairy foods and the HA formula helped us avoid a lot of the issues he would otherwise have had.

You can get a thickener from karicare to add to which ever formula works best if you want that bit of extra thickening. We did it for a while with Sam. No reflux, just a happy chucker, but my goodness did he chuck!

BW

Chopping and changing forumlas could be making her tummy upset too hun. As annoying as it is, stick to one type for a week or two to see how she goes, it could just be an initial thing and will settle down once her belly gets used to it.
    chucking is normal in babies, DD1 was fully FF and she would spew wonders! DD2 was BF for 6 months and is now FF she spews more now on the formula than she did on breatmilk.
    We used nan with DD2 and karicare gold with DD1

Whoa! That is a lot of different formula for a bub that little. You need to give a formula at least one week of use to know whether it is the right one for your bub or not. Some babies are just happy chuckers - this is normal and often nothing to worry about. Formula is quite hard on their little tummies and is harder to digest. The Gold formulas are 'richer' than other regular formulas and I always preferred to use a non-gold one. Also, if she doesn't actually have reflux, stay away from the thickened formula because as you have found out, it can block them up. If you want to minimise the vomiting, Don't actively burp her - just gently prop her up over your shoulder or sit her upright on your lap and most of the time the burps will just come. Also try not to move her about too much or 'squish' her up - if you lay her down in a reclined position it will help because she wont be all curled up and placing upward pressure on the sphincter muscle at the top of her stomach. But if she is not visibly worried about wind, don't worry about burping at all, just lay her down and she should be fine. Most importantly, pick one formula and stick with it

Thanks for the replies, the Nan HA gold seems to be the best so far, we swapped bottles too - to the pigeon brand.

Everything seems to be working just fine - although I have noticed that the poop from formula smells horrid!

I'm glad that things have settled for you both. And yep, the poos are foul!!