Thread: Powdered Formula - How long to keep?

Default Powdered Formula - How long to keep?

I have a large tin of Nan HA Gold 1 and the tin says to used within 3 weeks. As we breastfeed mostly and use formula when out etc (so only really 3-4 feeds per week) there is no way I will get through a tin in 3 weeks, any ideas if it will last longer (I know these used by dates etc are guides only). Perhaps if I put it in a airtight container instead of the formula tin I can keep it and use for longer?

I have tried to find a smaller tin or sachets and cant seem to find them anywhere ...

Any tips re how long to keep it, or if you are aware of where I can buy in sachets or smaller tin please let me know, its so expensive I dont want to throw out half a tin every three weeks

Thanks
    Naomi

i think it is usually yes 3-4 weeks.

We have 400gm tins of our formula so it makes it easier for us.
    I think with DD when we were using the 900gm tins i would often go over in time but i didnt notice or i weaned onto soy (obviously older - 12 months).

2s6 gold have sachets but they will prob work out the same price.

it is one of those catch 22;s

Yeah i think most tins say 4 weeks.
    i have only seen the satchets in the s26

Yeah I think on the tin it says use within a month if opened...have you considered using the little sticks instead? It might save you $ and formula in the long run.

My health nursed advised me when I was comp feeding DD2 that I could extend the life by 2 weeks if I put the tin in the fridge, which I did and all was ok

I saw the 1 Nan Gold sticks at Chemist Warehouse the other day... I bought the s26 sticks though when I was in your position... But when I weaned DS onto formula used Nan HA Gold...

Thanks Bekz - I have stored it in the fridge in an air tight container now

Rufalina - do you know if the chemist warehouse had the Nan HA in the sticks?

Meanwhile, I've sent an email to Nestle to see if they can give me any info re the availabilty of sticks/sachets too

Thanks to the others re the S26 sachets, but I've been advised by a few health professionals that Nestle HA is similar to breastmilk in that its easily disgested etc so my preference is to use that if I can find the smaller packaging

Cheers
    Naomi

I was going to suggest the fridge. Freezer even? Mum used to keep her flour in the freezer...I really don't know how much longer you'd get though.
    I was told about the sachets. Haven't used them though. I've thrown out 3 tins of FF more than half full. I really hated doing it too.

Naomi, I will have a look tonight on my way past, and let you know...

oooh, dont make a special trip mate, I can check it out, thanks so much

No trouble, I walk right past and need to grab a tin for DS anyway...

Yep. Nan 1 HA sachets 180ml bottle... But I am sorry I cant remember if it was gold (darn preggie brain)... I think it was, but I dont think that would make much difference for the one off uses...

Rufalina - you are a legend, thanks so much, I will head to our local chemist warehouse in the next few days

I really appreciate you checking (and have added to your reputation points) - Have a great night!!

Naomi
    x