Thread: question re: shelf life

Default question re: shelf life

I just noticed that my canister of bellamy's formulas says to toss 4 weeks after opening. We use it for an occasional feed - like once a day 4 days/week. Thus, I'd be tossing a huge amount. What's wrong with using it beyond 4 weeks from opening?

I'd cynically say the main thing is that you wouldn't buy as much formula and the company won't like that.
    I guess you need to make a judgement call. Your baby is older now, and formula only plays an occasional role in his diet. He's getting all the good stuff from you. However, even in the tin, formula is not a sterile product and contains bacteria.

I always wondered this too, powdered milk can be kept for ages. Why can't formula?

It sounds similar to tins of coffee, milo etc - and I always thought that was because it starts to go 'stale'. Barb is probably right, marketing to make more money out of you!!
    TBH when DS was on occasional comp feeds I would have used tins over monthly periods or longer without a second thought but like Barb said,its your judgment call to make!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Is it a best before date?
    A friend of my mum contacted a different formula company who said it's safe for 12 months opened.

I felt that it does go off after a month, just imho.

My SIL brought over a tin that she'd opened a few months earlier for me, and it just smelt "off".

I think it would also be the added nutrients in the formula would not last after that time as well - the vitamins and other things, and just the contamination of opening and closing it.

My son used to notice when the formula was getting close to a month old and he clearly didn't like it. He'd drink much less. It really does seem to go stale.

It is also different to scoop, stickier or something. I also noticed that difference.

Sent from my Desire HD
    Last edited by SunnyRain; September 9th, 2011 at 12:34 PM.

I just wanted to add, if anyone wants to buy in case of emergency formula, they have premixed packs of a few brands, in tetra packs at Woolies, it is expensive to buy it that way, but it keeps a smaller amount on hand for a few feeds.

edited to say I have just discovered you can also buy stick packs of some formulas, eg s-26 6 feeds for $5.
    Last edited by emc2; September 9th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Hmm - Given that I've stopped sterilizing and also use tap water, I can't say that I'm that concerned about it being 100% bacteria free. However, the idea that it may go off gives me pause. It does have a "use by" date that from recollection is at least one year out...but that's for an unopened tin. I'll think about it and decide what to do - thanks!