Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room temp bottles?

Arrow Room temp bottles?

Can anyone tell me who does this? I have heard it is much easier and not to stress if it is not "warmed"

Would love to know as it sounds like a fabulous option. I would assume you would boil water and then when it is cooled, this is room temp?

Thanks. ; )

I've only ever given ds2 bottles that are 'room temp'. I boil the kettle in the morning, then pour the required amt into his bottle, it cools down to room temp and is perfect at bedtime. (he only has 1 formula feed a day, that's in the evening).

He's now 9 1/2mts and has never complained about it!

My SiL always used room temp bottles. She would fill the bottles with boiled water in the morning and just mix the formula in as required. Her twins didn't seem to mind

yep, I do room temp bottles too and my DS has never complained! Cooled boiled water, into his bottle and into the fridge until he's hungry. I do give it a real quick zap (like, 25 secs) in the microwave if I'm home to take the cold edge off. Otherwise, just serve as is if we're out. I like to give his formula a bit cooler anyways if the weather is really hot. Makes life so much easier, not having to worry about heating bottles while out or in a hurry! I definitely recommend it

Ive done this before but not until DD's tummy was abit more mature (so after 6 ish months). She didnt really like it too much though.

I found bubs would drift off to sleep a lot easier if the milk was warm, so I've always warmed their formula

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    I found bubs would drift off to sleep a lot easier if the milk was warm, so I've always warmed their formula
    Yep me too. My DD wont drink it unless its warm.

Although I will give a little tip, we filled our bottles up in the morning and chucked them in the fridge - but only put the amount of cooled water that you needed to cool it to a perfect temp when boiling water was added - ITMS? So, when DD2 was on 200ml of formula, we would put 135mls of water in first, chuck it in the fridge, then when it was time for a feed, the water was cold, so we added 65ml of boiling water, which made the water the perfect temp for drinking - nice and warm. Then we added the formula, shook it up and there you go - a quick and easy way to prepare a bottle at the perfect temp without needing to heat it up in a jug of water beforehand

DD started off with HOT HOT bottles- she wouldnt drink them unless they were hot, then one day when she was teething a bit, she started fussing on the hot ones, i had one in the fridge ready to heat up and i thought, what they heck and gave it to her cold, she loved it and drank it!! Now she goes with cold, room temp or hot, depending how she feels at the time lol, but usually room temp. Same as the others, i just put cooled water in the bottle and then add the formula and she drinks it like that. Its much handier when going out!!!

But i do find she likes her bed time bottle a bit warm, like Mel says, i think it helps them go to sleep a bit better!

Bella would never drink it unless it was hot - I have accually tasted formula both warm and cold and it tastes WAY better when warm (well as good as it can taste!!)

I still warm her cows milk in the micro coz she hates cold milk just as much!

I was a "bad" mum and made all my formula bottles up in the morning and then just zapped them in the micro....unless I was going out and then it was just boiling water and take formula with us.

I do like Mels idea! I hope (fingers crossed) that I will not need this time around but if I do then Ill do it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunet View Post
    My SiL always used room temp bottles. She would fill the bottles with boiled water in the morning and just mix the formula in as required. Her twins didn't seem to mind
    That's what we did when DD had a formula feed. Some babies just don't like room temp though so keep that in mind if your LO doesn't seem to enjoy it.

Mel that is a great idea!

DD always liked hers cool, so from the fridge and in the microwave for 20 secs or so if we were at home. or if out, i would put them from the fridge to the bottle bag and she would drink it at whatever temp it had cooled to! she has never drunk a warm bottle, and still will only drink ice cold milk from the fridge.

forgot to add my friend tried this with her son and he hated it with a passion lol. warmed milk all the way for him!

The temperature that the bottle is when given to the baby is not important - some babies prefer cooler milk anyway. However the recommendation is to make the formula with boiling water as the formula is not sterile and this helps kill germs.

Mine always had room temp bottles. No one told me I had to warm it, so never did!

Before going to bed, I used to wash, sterilise and fill up the bottles for the next day using boiled water from the kettle. I would also portion out the formula for each feed into one of those formula transport thingy's. The water would cool overnight and was ready to use the next day.

That way it was easier when going out to chuck bottle with water and portioned formula into the bag and ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    The temperature that the bottle is when given to the baby is not important - some babies prefer cooler milk anyway. However the recommendation is to make the formula with boiling water as the formula is not sterile and this helps kill germs.
    Wow! I was not aware of that! Well Im glad I always made my FF with boiling water! Thanks MR!

My formula says to use cooled boiled water. Specifically, says to allow boiling water to cool for 30-40 mins until it gets down to 50-60 degrees.

I don't do that. I keep a jug of boiled water on the benchtop that would be room temp. If it's a hot day, I mix as is. If it's a cold day, I use the room temp water and boil the kettle and add a bit of piping hot water to make it warmer.

On a hot day, DD likes her bottles room temperature; on a colder day she likes them warm (but not hot).

I to fill the kettle and boil the water the night before so the next day its at room temp and i use it as required. DS loves anything no matter what temp but it is very handy. I give him a warm one after his bath as part of his night time routine just so he relaxes and knows its close to bed time.

As long as it's not too cold I do it now with Ds. Too warm and he chucks more, and it's faster than warming it up when you have a screaming bubba.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast