Thread: should i change back to "normal"formula??

Default should i change back to "normal"formula??

I drove everyone crazy im sure on here a few months ago when DS was having major constipation issues and didnt know what formula to try,so i tried quite a few and the nan H.A seemed best except since I stopped breast feeding and put Ds on the normal Karikare formula he got used to it filling him up(he was a very hungry baby)i put him back on the karikare but he still had bad constipation so on my doctors advice I put him on Novalac for constipation,hes been nothing but happy on this and no problems pooing so will be starting solids before long and i know it can cause them a bit of a prob with there bowels so i asked her the other day about it and she said she realisticly thinks there all the same and there tummys just need to adgust and the tin says not to leave them on the formula all the time so now im wondering if since hes a bit older and the constipation has resolved(hes been on the novalac about2 to 3 months?)should i try him back on the normal formula?I know i guess all i can do is try and see how he goes but im thinking too is the novalac "babying"his bowels too much(not sure how it works but you know what i mean if its made easier to digest)so that when he does start solids he will have poo problems again?and i know once they start solids i can give him pears etc that can help im just not sure if i should leave him on it since hes happy or change back now hes older?im thinking too that it must be how other formulas slowly get there bowels ready for solids etc because how come you have like a birth to 6 months which is easier to digest then a different one etc?I know im raving here but just any advice would be great!!!Thanks

The reason that you have birth to six months, follow on formulas, etc is because depending where they are sold it is illegal to advertise formula to babies under six months or twelve months. Formula companies developed new fomulas for different age babies to find a way around the marketing laws, not because there was a biological need. There is no need for babies ever to go onto a follow on formula or one for older babies, they can stay on the "newborn" formula if that's what suits them. Formulas don't get their bowels ready for food, their stomachs develop with age and this is what makes them ready for solids.

WRT switching formulas, if Novalac says not to be used long term then it would probably be a good idea to try him on another formula to see how he goes. He might be able to cope with regular formula again now that he is older. However if you are worried that he is having issues with constipation then it might be a good idea to delay solids after making the switch just to allow his tummy to adjust.

If you get a tin of NAN HA 1 and NAN HA 2 they are pretty much the same. It's just marketing.

It is similar with nappies too, apparently with Huggies they market them to appear cheaper, when in fact you will need a larger size nappy earlier for some bubs.

I don't mean similar issues but just that it is to do with marketing or pushing us to buy the product.

wow thanks heaps ladies!I didnt know all that!

The Stage 1 and Stage 2 formulas are not exactly the same. The large difference in the S26 Gold Stage 1 to Stage 2 is the iron. The Stage 2 formula has reduced iron levels as bubs now gets the iron needed from food.

As for your question on whether to change, you've hit the nail right on the head. The only way you can know is to try. Someone from my mothers group kept their bub on Novalac for a long time (longer than 6 months) and there was no problems in starting solids.

For what it's worth, my humble opinion is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IF a problem should arise when solids start (and it's likely you won't have any problems at all!) then you can deal with it then.

With NAN HA - 1 & 2 are the same I did go through each number on the tin. So useful if they sell out of stage 1.