Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I go back to Step 1?

Default Should I go back to Step 1?

When DD was 6 months we changed to step 2 formula (we use S26). Since then she has been quite constipated. I have tried a lot of things, stewed apple/pear, lots of water, diluted prune juice, and started using Coloxyl drops yesterday, but nothing seems to be working and it's getting more and more painful for her to do a poo.

I've been to the doctor and he just prescribed a cream that acts like a local anaesthetic/lubricant..I haven't filled out the script though as it is untested on babies and it's not going to fix the problem. It also has to go right inside her anus and I don't want to cause anymore trauma in there than is already going on...

She hasn't had any rice cereal for a couple of weeks so I'm sure it's the change to step 2 formula. I asked the doctor if I should change back just until she is pooing normally again and then start using it again but he said it wasn't necessary..well now I am starting to think it is because it is not resolving itself. i also wonder if maybe I did the change wrong...should I have introduced the step 2 formula slowly? i.e. making a bottle with half step 1 and half step 2? The first bottle was like that, but then I ran out of step 1 so from then she just had straight step 2.

I don't know what to do to help my little girl...should I just wait a couple more days and see if the Coloxyl does anything?

I think your her mummy and you know what is best for her! so if you think going back to step 1 will help than do that - mothers intuition is best!!!! even if the doc dosent think its necessary!
    Also if you do go back - im no expert but when we went onto the next stage of formula for DD we slowly introduced it so maybe give that a go also! we did that with cows milk also!

Ihope your DD is feeling better soon!

Follow you instinct SS. I would go back hun just to test if the step 2 was the issue. Solids may also be causing this too. You could also try and stay off solids for a couple of days.

Bek- we've had a couple of days where we didn't get around to having solids and there was no change that I could tell. She's really only having yoghurt mixed with fruit at the moment as I stopped giving her rice cereal in case that was the problem. She had been eating a fair bit of it mixed with pumpkin (I think she likes pumpkin!) so I did think that was it, but she hasn't had any for at least a week.
    I think I'm more and more convinced it's the formula so will go and grab a tin of step 1, at least I'll know either way... she is only drinking about half of each bottle and although she has plenty of wet nappies I'm still worried she isn't having enough milk.

Thanks HJ...I wasn't really sure how to introduce the step 2 as it doesn't say anything on the tins and I ran out of step 1 so had no other option...I'll go back to step 1 for a few days and then gradually reintroduce the step 2. hopefully that will sort her out!

We had similar issues (different brand).

We didn't go all the way back, just starting mixing step one and 2.. We only did one scoop of step 2 until she wasn't straining as much, then added an extra scoop every 2 days till she was fully on step 2.

Good luck.

Yes. Change back.

There is no need to move up to Step 2 unless you have a very hungry baby. Step 2 formula is casein based which is harder to digest so fills them up for longer. Step 1 is whey based and easier to digest. Step 2 is optional, not essential. You will not be adversely affecting her growth or nutrient intake in any way.

My MCHN always said that if your baby is happy on Step 1, don't change, and would recommend waiting to try Step 2 until 8 months of age when solids was more established.

thanks for that Curly...I thought they needed the Step 2 because of their need for more iron at around 6 months? That might explain why she is only having half of every bottle though, except for her early morning feed at around 3am she finished almost all of that one.

Yes they do need more iron but that's why you start solids at 6 months of age, because milk is not enough sustenance for them anymore (regardless of whether it is breastmilk or formula)...and if you check the back of the tin you will see hardly any difference between Step 1 and Step 2.

My DS's digestive system couldn't tolerate Step 2 till he was nearly 9 months and I never bothered at all with DD. I only put him on Step 2 in the vain hope he would start sleeping through the night...never had this issue with DD. I did a bit of research on this and my best friend used to work for Nestle so I had the inside word on formula composition!

Go with your instincts... if you think it's the Step2 formula, try changing back for a bit...surely it won't hurt to try it & see?

I know it was a while back (ok, almost 15 years ago) but I fed my DD1 & DS1 on S26 and there was no step2 (that i knew of, anyway) - they just had the same thing right through to 12 months.
    So I am thinking it couldn't possibly hurt to change back for a couple of weeks at least, just to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post

There is no need to move up to Step 2 unless you have a very hungry baby. Step 2 formula is casein based which is harder to digest so fills them up for longer. Step 1 is whey based and easier to digest. Step 2 is optional, not essential. You will not be adversely affecting her growth or nutrient intake in any way.
    :yeahthat:

I would change back too. DS will stay on Step 1 until he's weaned onto cows milk at 1 year of age. We tried to move to Step 2 when he hit 6 months, but we had a week of horror constipation and I wasn't prepared to continue through that. So we just went back, and he's happy as larry. When you compare the tins, the difference is minimal. You can ensure they get all their additional nutrients through solids, which IMHO are better absorbed from natural food sources.

No need to go to step 2 When we were topping up DD with F we thought that at 6 months we would need to go to Step 2 but her Paed said not to both. Just to start with solids, as the Step 2 isn't any "better:, it just costs more, usually a bigger scoop or more of them per bottle and generally it is purely marketing

I agree with the others, go back to step one.
    i did the exact same thing with DS - same scario and everything. As long as your bub is having solids its fine to stay on starter formula

Default Q about heinz formula

duplicate

OMG I was just about to post the exact same thing!
    I was thinking about going back to Step one, but we brought box at BigW (6 tins) and they won't swap them!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by Queen; January 27th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Prob a bit too early to ask - but i thought i would ask how things were going and how your DD is?

Havent noticed a change yet HJ...I am really hoping that it works though otherwise i dont know what will! I'm still giving her 1 scoop of step 2, just to use it up, it was almost a full tin so I don't want to throw it out. Giving her the coloxyl drops still but they don't seem to be making a difference either..I don't know if it's because she is only drinking half of her bottle so she's then not getting all of the coloxyl?
    Will see how we go over the next couple of days, hopefully by then she should have sorted herself out.

Hmmm poor bubba girl! hope its not for too much longer, does she seem to be in any pain or discomfort? Have you introduced water yet? and not sure if this would make a difference or not but are her bottles warm or cold? and maybe stop the 2step all together for a little bit than go slowly back to it - it should be fine to last a while before its goes bad - so you wouldn't be wasting it!
    Coloxyl drops always worked a treat on Miss B! so did tummy rubs and warm baths!
    :hugs: for DD

I spoke to GP today about this!
    He recommended going back to Step 1!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast