Thread: Sleeping through the night

Unhappy Sleeping through the night

Hi guys, I need some help trying to ge tmy bub to have his big sleep when Mum and Dad sleep.

He does a good 6- 7hrs anywhere from 4pm onwards but then we only get about 3/12 - 4 hrs before the next one. His last bottle yesterday was at 4 so I tried waking him for a "dream feed" last night at about 10 to see if that "top up" would get him through to 3ish but it was actually worse. He woke up for a feed at 1, which was only 3hrs and then again at 5.45am, which isn't so bad.

I'm not sure how else to do it. I can't keep him up any later cause he'll scream when he's tired and then just got to sleep regardless. Is everyone else's bub just sleeping through the nite without any particular effort or have you done something to help them get the timing right??

Please help, I hate to think I have to get my sleep at a time when I'd like to spend time with my DH.

He's still just learning what it's like to be out in the big world so it's still very early days! Many babies at this age are still working out the difference between day and night, let alone sleeping for more than 3-4hours at a time. It sounds like he is doing very well to put in 6-7 hours in one go!

The only thing I can think of is to put him down at 4 but give him a top up feed at 8pm to see if he sleeps longer then. However, you run the risk of him waking. I always tried to have my babies awake from 4.30 - 7pm as this was Daddy time when he got home from work and was able to help bath and put them to bed. Then they had the long stretch of sleep from 7pm. They were about 2 months old when this really started working though. Until then I just let them go with whatever they wanted.

pooley- im having exactly the same issue, except Oscar doesnt even sleep longer than 90mins!! im exhausted.
    im hoping it gets better for both of us
    x

I wouldn't be expecting your little man to work out his sleeping in the near future. It takes them quite a while to work out day/night and when to sleep longer. My DS is 3 1/2 months and still isn't sleeping overnight when I do. So unfortunately you may just need to spend time with DH and DS at the same time or use the time to sleep. DH and I are still crossing at the bedroom door, LOL! It will turn around soon though, they all do, we just have to be patient.
    Good luck.

Wow, your bub is doing really well to be doing a nice long stretch of sleep like that! I understand why you'd prefer for it to be later though. As Nai said, he is still really little and still working out things. He will get there eventually.

I know you said he is tired at 4pm and will scream, but could you encourage him to just have a nap at that time, get him up at say 6-6:15pm for a bit of wake time then put him down for the night at around 7pm? This is what I do with my DD and I give her a dreamfeed a bit later to help her sleep her longest stretch while I sleep. She is 7 weeks old and it is working well. We have a basic feed/play/sleep cycle throughout the day which ends at 7pm when she goes down for the last time. She has naturally fallen into a pattern of sleeping up to 8 hours overnight.

I'm sure your bub will have worked things out soon though, you are doing a great job .

Some toddlers dont even sleep through the night!
    I think (without sounding harsh) that you should accept that this is what life with a baby is like. He is only 5 weeks old, and his routine will be all over the place, as expected. There is nothing that you can do that will make him sleep through the night, he will when he is ready.

Having said though, there are things that you can try to encourage him to go to bed at a later time, this would mean working on his day routine too, as well as night routine. Shifting day sleeps, or holding them off even for 10 mins if you can. I cant really help in that aspect coz til about 9mths old I pretty much went with my babys lead!

Trust me, I know its not easy with a new little bub! Its a bit of a shock to the system, and you do want to spend the time you have with your hubby, but the saying "Sleep when the baby sleeps" pretty much explains itself.

Hun: firstly, you are doing such a good job. Those early days are tough work.

Now I second Trish, your bub is doing wonderfully getting such long stretches of sleep already. I know it doesn't seem like a long stretch but trust me, my DS woke 3 hourly until about 6 months and didn't 'sleep through' until 12 months.

Just go with the flow hun. I know there is a temptation to try other things but he will just sort it out in his own time. Before you know it he will sleep through a feed and life will settle again.

Hang in there
    Lv Spring x

My six month old still wakes once or twice in the night for a feed. My two year old STILL doesn't sleep through the night. It's just something they do in their own time... welcome to parenthood!!!

I second Trish on the timing of sleeps... My DS would fall asleep at 4, and I needed to wake him around 6. He would be fussy then, for a bit, but better for night time sleeping, and getting a good routine for when they are abit older...

Hang in there... and remember sleeping through is a stretch of 5 hrs, and it sounds like your DS is going really well with this, you just need to help him shift that stretch of sleep to a bit later in the day. xo

Hi Pooley,

I would recommend, keeping day as bright with plenty of light as possible and night at dark as possible. I second what the others have said. At 1 month I didn't want my DD to go for a 6-7 hour sleep without a feed as she needs food. My DD feeds a lot more at night and I think this allowed her to sleep straight through the night (from 10:30 pm till 6:30 am) but this does not occur until she was 7 weeks old. Your bub would probably be the same in no time if he is currently able to go for 6-7 hour sleep straight. He just need to get adjusted to the fact that night starts at 7 pm and not at 4 pm.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I hope I didn't sound like I was whinging I just wanted to see if I could make the most of the fact that he does have a big block of sleep and try and persuade him to go to bed a little later.

I have tried today to keep him up and feed him more often, I was demand feeding but he was pretty much going straight back to sleep after every feed in the day and wasn't awake for very long. Today has been good have been giving him a bottle every 3 hrs and hopefully tonight he may be a bit fuller at his last feed and a bit more tired and fall asleep a little later?? See what happens.

I am truly lucky that he is sleeping for long stretches, I was just hoping like Rufalina said that some sort of schedule would help him get used to night and day but obviously I will learn from him as we go.

If you have a bedtime routine (like bath, feed, sleep), try starting the routine 10-15 mins later each night until he's going to bed at a suitable time. This worked with my son when he was about 8 weeks old. If you don't have a bedtime routine, introduce one for about 5 days or a week, and then start shifting the time you start it. Goodluck!