Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toddler formula supporting immune system until 3?

Matryoshka Guest

Default Toddler formula supporting immune system until 3?

Okay i really don't want this thread to be a formula company bagging thread, i do agree they stretch the truth a bit in regards to the benefit of toddler formula. But i would really like some legitimate information about the needs of supporting a toddlers immune system until age 3 which one particular add claims is essential and that their toddler formula does so.

I was actually planning on transferring DS2 on to cows milk come 12 months, as he eats a balanced diet. However in light of this "new information" come propaganda its left me a little confused. I breastfed DS1 until 2.5+ years because i wanted to support his health in the best way and he was a very poor eater. But my understanding was that if they eat well, come 12 months they only really need the addition of some kind of milk as a compliment.

Whereas the advert i've seen claims their immune system needs supporting until age 3.
    Which their formula does.

What i want to know is, HOW and WHY does it need "supporting"? and how can i do this without continuing to toddler formula? would the kids full cream milks do the same thing? or do i need to give some kind of pro-biotic?

TIA.

To some extent everyone's immune system needs supporting. I take a daily probiotic and I eat very well. I do try to get the kids to have it, but I am running out of ways to hide it LOL. I think if you are overly concerned about it, I would support his immune system by using a probiotic, rather than relying on a formula to do it. Plus I do doubt the integrity of the probiotic in it as it is not 'live'. I would prefer to use In-Liven as I know I can trust it kwim?

Matryoshka Guest

Yep i see. I take In-liven, but i've not been able to disguise the taste for the boys. How do you do it?

I don't use the In-Liven for the kids as it was far too hard to disguise it and they would have it once, then nope, never again. I tried it in smoothies, plain milkshakes with flavouring *cringe*, juice, even in yoghurt and once in icecream. So I use a different one for them that I get at my local health food shop. It is much cheaper and it doesn't have quite the same taste as In-liven so it's easier to hide in their milkshakes. There is also another one I get called Olive Life Elixir by Sandra Cabot and I put that in apple juice and they always drink that no worries. It's a liquid and it's amazing stuff.

you can always use fast track for the littlies (i gave it to laa when she had oral thrush)

hth

Tan, it is really interesting that the formula companies are using a leading reason for "full-term" breastfeeding as a way to sell their product! It is also very opportunistic of the companies to flood the market with ads at this time of the year when everyone is worried about colds and flu.

The reality is that there is no scientific evidence that the toddler formulas provide any additional protection. They contain synthetic versions of a particular substance which, in its natural form (such as in breastmilk!) does boost the immune system. The synethetic version might or might not assist the immune system also - it has not been proven to do so.

If you are concerned that your boys need some extra protection now that they are no longer bfing, I suggest you persist with the In-Liven or talk to your GP or natural therapist about vitamins, pro-biotics etc. These are going to be a much healthier option than toddler formula! And for mums who are still bfing - keep at it!

Matryoshka Guest

Okay thanks for those Recs.

It makes sense that there should be a substitute for full term breastfeeding for those who cannot breastfeed.

Yeah, I know Tan. Both my boys self-weaned before age 2 so I am in much the same boat as you also.

I agree with Trill and would also be sceptical of this claim by the artifical milk manufacturer. Stick with a good quality live probiotic so often companies make claims about their products and only put in a token amount of active ingredient (not enough for it to be effective)... it's just a rip off. ETA: oh and good quality probiotics are expensive... i can't see it being economically viable for them to include it in their formula and still ask a r.r.p that the average person would be happy to pay.

Matryoshka Guest

Thanks ladies, you've reassured me.

I want to have faith in my baby's immune system, he's been just as healthy as my DS2 since he recovered from the reflux. I will check out the other pro-biotics.

You've just prompted me to get some more Fast Tract... I find it easier to slip into a cup of apple juice too (not citrus).

If it's the same ad I saw, it wasn't just the probiotics they were claiming were supporting the immune system. They also seemed to be trying to imply that their formula was a great source of omega 3 fatty acids and a few other goodies... which I honestly thought would be better off coming from regular dietary sources rather than formula.

As another related question... There's now a HA toddler milk on the market... would there be any benefit in using that over regular milk after the age of 12 months when you have a child at high risk of allergies? Or, just another marketing ploy?

BW

I suppose it depends on if you want to trial him and see how he copes with it. I guess they have brought this out as an extension for those babies that can't transition to regular milk etc, so it's probably not as big a con as most other toddler milks kwim? FWIW, I do use Karicare 1-3yrs, but not because I want to or like using it or that it has all the added goodness of artificial-ness . He just will not have a bar of milk, plain or otherwise and he doesn't get enough calcium from other sources and his diet it crap anyway (fussiest eater I have ever had!)

Ugh, you girls have made me face up to the fact that now DS is one and I can ditch the formula... Thanks for the suggestions re probiotics... better check DS diet too...

Matryoshka Guest

Okay i've seen the advert up close, and WHILST they are saying "from the age of 1 your toddlers immune system needs supporting" It says in very tiny print (i was literally sitting in from of a 42 inch plasma and still had to squint) "if dietary intake is inadequate"!

MYTH BUSTED!

Tan, also remember that your boys have had a great boost to their immune systems with the bfing they have had.

The reason that companies make toddler formulas is to make money, pure and simple. Obviously because it captures the "post-baby formula" market, but actually also to boost their baby formula sales. They are not allowed to advertise baby formulas, but they are allowed to advertise toddler formulas. THey make the tins look the same and advertise the older one, in order to get brand recognition which also sells their baby formulas.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I dont know much about what formula brand it is and what its claims are, but I assume its due to the inclusion of pro-biotics - of which fast tract would be better, its organic, and made from fruit and vegies and have a range of 13 pro-biotics, not one or two strains. Formula could never reproduce white blood cells that comes with breastmilk to help with immunity though... so yes I would be very wary of claims.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Great thread ladies - I should also be looking at Fast Tract and taking DD off of toddler formula. Where do I buy Fast Tract from - I've never heard of it until now

Manta - out of interest, why can't forumla companies advertise baby formula? Is it keeping with health notions about breast is best? (regardless of mums unable to b/f for various reasons, like myself ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast