Thread: Weaning off the bottle

Default Weaning off the bottle

Hi All,

DD is still on the bottle and she is 16mths. All the docs and MCHN said you should wean by 1 because it can cause ear infections and bad teeth or something.

Anyway, i have about 3 drawers of different sipper cups. She drinks water from all of them but as soon as I put milk in (warm and cold) she refuses to drink it!

Any tip plz???

Thanks!!!

have you tried a cup? or a cup with a straw? DS will drink from both but we started with small amounts so he didn't spill everywhere and I usually have one hand on the cup as well if that makes sense.

yep have tried that too!!!

I think it's just a matter of perseverance - just keep giving her the milk in a cup and do not offer the bottle as an option. Or, if she is getting very insistent, give her a choice - milk in a cup, or water in her bottle. She won't like it, but eventually she will get used to it. If she flat out refuses to drink her milk at all, don't worry about it. Just try again next time. I found with my kids that they always refused to take their milk in a cup during the day, but at night time before bed they would have warm milk in a cup. So I just stopped giving them milk in the day time and they just had the one drink at night before bed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the milk in a cup. DD1 went cold turkey at 17 months. It took about 2 days & she was over it.

I made the mistake of trading DD2 to a pop top or cup with lid & it has ruined her teeth. Her 2 front top ones are rounded out like the pop tops. It also took until earlier this year to get her off them (nearly 4). She wouldn't go to sleep with out a drink at all.

She doesn't need the milk so much. As long as she is getting dairy other ways
    Good luck.

Just moved this to Formula Feeding area where you will hopefully get further advice.

Thanks Ladies!

I got some breakthrough today after i though nothing could be done! She actually drank 100mls from a sipper cup, the one with a straw!

YAY!!!!! VERY happy and shocked actually!

If she is okay with a sipper cup how do I wean her off her night feed? she waits up at 2am for a feed (water trick doesnt work)

Thanks all!!