Thread: What's the difference?

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Default What's the difference?

Between 'regular' and 'gold' formulas.

I've been using SMA and its making DS constopated and poo really smelly. It's ment to keep belly fuller but he is still feeding every 2 hours.

I thought I give S26 a go next but wondering what difference in the 2.

The gold formula's have extra iron in them so they can cause constipation. The gold formula's also contain omega 3's (the heinz regular includes this also) neucleotides ( the heinz regular I'm pretty sure includes these too) The karicare gold includes prebiotics and the heinz and nan one's contain probiotics which is supposed to help with healthy gut bacteria. The s26 gold contains leutin which is supposed to help with the free radicals with the eyes. So it's basically if you want to pay extra for those little extra ingredients whether they are important to you. Honestly I am not a fan of s26 at all the gold is notorious for causing constipation and the formula is sticky and has a horrid smell. For me if you want to go gold the Heinz gold or Nan Ha gold are the best to try first. NAN HA is partially hydrolysed so the proteins are broken down so its easier for bubs little belly's to digest. It's all whey though where the sma is mainly casein so you would find bubs would be a lot hungrier sooner on something like the NAN HA.

BUB's don't need the gold formula's its only if you feel its necessary for those extra ingredients. I like the Heinz because it has the omega 3's in the regular one and neuclotides and it's a really reasonable price. I also like the bellamy's organic because of course its organic. I have found all my bubs are different though. My boys both settled better on different formula's. DD is predominantly breastfed but she has one bottle of formula which is the NAN HA and she has no problems with it. Unfortunately it can be a bit of trial and error. But always give formula at least a week to see how it goes. It can take a little while for little belly's to get used to them. HTH

I was using the bellamys and it was making his tummy upset. Might give the nan ha a go. Thanks

Ok so Im thinking i give the Heinz Nurture a go but now i need to work out which to get the Standard or the Gold. The only difference is the Gold has DHA & ARA in it. EVERYTHING else is identical.

It's totally up to you. My Ds2 did really well on the Heinz nurture gold. Both my babies did great on the gold formulas. Some do better on the original. Babies are such trial and error it can be frustrating. Ds1 settled on the first formula we tried but Ds2 took about 6 or 7 to get it right.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

My DD is on Novalac Gold. Only because the normal she doesnt like. Try not to swap too many times but im sure you know that Hope you find one that works soon.

we are on karicare, just the normal one.
    i herd to many stories of bubs getting constipated on the gold varieties so we chose to go with the normal one, with no issues at all

We use S26 Gold. I have used it for all three of my bubs - DD1 did have some constipation, DS was fine, DD2 is about 50% BF and poo is fine! I started with S26G for DD1 as that's what the hospital used, then used it for the others simply because I had used it before. I do remember looking at NanHA for DD1 when it was recommended due to the constipation, but I *think* (it was 8 years ago!) it was much higher in Sodium than S26G and that didn't sit well with me.

The S26G does smell pretty average, but DD2 doesn't seem to mind although she has a definite preference for sweeter BM. OMG... have you ever lost a bottle and found it several weeks later?? The smell is enough to induce vomiting!!

Got the normal let's see how we go.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Dd2 was on the Heinz nurture (regular) and was fine on that - no constipation issues

She was a 3 hourly feeder.

Oh good with 3 hrs lol can't believe a 2 mtg old ment to drink 200ml

i have had all my boys on S26 gold, and my little loves it, he still poops like a champ and hasnt been constipated. he does have silent reflux and i tried to change him well he didnt like that so back to his usually one. my sister used heinz and had no problems with her little girl. its all trial you dont know unless you try and see if it agrees. i had ds1 on sma to start with and yes it did constipate him too, thats what got me shopping around to find what suited him.