Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why soy infant formula is one of the absolute worst foods your baby

oh, I see. why not use breastmilk in your cooking Ok, I'm not sure if that'd work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    oh, I see. why not use breastmilk in your cooking Ok, I'm not sure if that'd work anyway.
    i'm not sure DP would like his breastmilk mashed potato or his breastmilk cookies... lol
    The Paed wants me to try soy milk formula and said def no SOY MILK before 12mths so it would only be to test that she does not react... so i am totally unsure, she's starting to want to eat mroe of 'our' foods and if i there was something else that would not affect her allergy and possibyl not harm her i would love to know or is soy 'safe' now as i'm only testing.. damn this parenting gig is hard work.

Could you try eating/drinking soy yourself? Or does she only react when she consumes the protein directly? (Have we had this conversation before???). When you talk about changing the family foods, do you mean for yourself (because you're breastfeeding her) or for when she starts to join in?

If you do end up having to try her with soy formula, don't stress yourself. It's not like you have to give it to her all the time, it's just for a test. If she was FF, then sure, you would look at an elemental formula, but she's not, so you don't have to worry about that .

ETA Parenting a child with food issues is a big gig. Don't be hard on yourself, and remember that it's not an immediate process, sometimes it can take time. It's okay to be frustrated, and totally normal. The soy thing is tough, because some kids will react to that too. I actually think rice milk works brilliantly in alot of cooking, and I now much prefer it over soy. But that took time, and it was only because I was forced to change that I kept on going with it. I remember Christy saying that it's a lengthy process to change a family's food habits, and she was right. I honestly think it can take up to two years, or even more, to totally get your head around it. But I promise you, you will get there
    Last edited by Janie; November 20th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.

She seems fine when i have dairy but cannot have it herself, i have lowered my dairy intake quite a bit (used to have cheese EVERY day etc) and she is a lot more settled now.
    I am finding it ok as we eat a LOT of fruit as a family but she's starting to be interested in cereal, pasta, cakes etc and i would like to be able to make a lot more 'healthier' options of these things for BOTH of my girls, also that DD1 gets a lot of variety that DD2 cannot get due to products containg milk solids or butter etc.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    Ciara, at her age she wouldn't even need milk. Her calcium requirements can come from other food sources - many vegetables are high in calcium as well. There was a thread about it on here a few weeks ago and I posted a list of veges that would help make up for hte lack of dairy.
    oh do you have a link to this list i can read?

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Yep, it is totally frustrating. Particularly as we both need to avoid dairy as well.........and 95% of dairy replacements are soy!!!! So I hear you!
    Oh my goodness, what do you do; i have a eight month old son who already i have to avoid both because it affects him thru bf...dairy i'm sure of but soy we are just steering away from for now (i didn't know it was in everything processed though so i guess i havent' been avoiding it as much as i could have!) we are yet to have an allergy test for dairy and soy....if he is positive what are some food ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Could you try eating/drinking soy yourself? Or does she only react when she consumes the protein directly? (Have we had this conversation before???). When you talk about changing the family foods, do you mean for yourself (because you're breastfeeding her) or for when she starts to join in?
    I was going to ask the same thing because i have to cut out dairy completely because my son can't tollerate it....but i was also told to avoid soy because he could develop an allergy to that as well?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123