Thread: apricots

Default apricots

DP's mum has given me a big bowlful of apricots from the tree in her garden. they're almost ripe now & i'm not sure what to do with them all! there's somewhere between 20-30 of them. i like apricots but they're a fruit i prefer to use in cooking rather than just eat as is! i'm thinking maybe a pie but i'm looking for any other ideas - what would you do with them?

Mmmm, apricot chicken comes to mind straight away. It has been years since I have had that.

What about some danish's or maybe make a jam.

Do you like jams, preserves pickles etc?
    I can have a look in my Mum's preserving book for some ideas if you do.

Jam! I have some homemade apricot jam from a friend's tree and it is awesome.

kazzo - apricot chicken sounds like a good one! i don't think i've eaten that in YEARS! it would be nice to make a version with fresh apricots & maybe some moroccan spices

onyx - i like jams, some pickles too - i'd love some ideas if you wouldn't mind

L&B - excellent idea! i've always wanted to make some home made jam

If you want to do Moroccan how about an apricot lamb tagine...

Apricot Jam
    -
    Ingredients

1 lemon
    900g (4 cups) white sugar
    1kg firm ripe apricots, flesh cut into 1.5cm pieces
    250ml (1 cup) water

Add above ingredients to your shopping list
    Method

Use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from the lemon. Halve and juice the lemon, reserving the seeds. Wrap lemon rind and seeds in a piece of muslin and tie with unwaxed white kitchen string to enclose.

Preheat oven to 150C. Place the sugar in a deep-sided baking tray or baking dish. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until sugar is warm.

Meanwhile, place the muslin pouch, apricot, water and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and soft.

Reduce heat to low. Add the warm sugar and cook, stirring, occasionally brushing down the side of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.

Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Simmer rapidly, stirring and using a slotted spoon to remove any scum from the surface, for 20-25 minutes or until the jam reaches setting point (take care the jam doesn't catch on the base of the pan). Discard the muslin pouch.

Ladle hot jam through a funnel into clean, dry jars and seal. Invert for 2 minutes. Turn the jars upright. Set aside to cool. Label, date and store in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight until ready to use.

Apricot chutney
    -
    Ingredients:

750g fresh apricots, stones removed and roughly chopped
    2 large onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    250g raisins
    1 tbs salt
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 tbs fresh ginger, chopped
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 chillies, seeded and finely chopped
    2 tbs tomato puree
    500ml brown vinegar

Method:
    Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and gently heat until sugar dissolves.
    Simmer gently for about 1 hour until mixture is thick. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
    Pour chutney into sterilised jars.

Oooh, yum!!

Freeze em
    My Nana used to pip them and freeze them. They are AWESOME!!!!!!