Thread: Broccolini

Default Broccolini

I have been using broccoline (sp?) in stir fries and boy is it yum yum yum but i have some in the fridge i want to cook up tonight with some veggies.

We are having pork with some mixed veg, grilled garlic zucchini & onion, i was thinking of doing some steamed carrot sticks & steamed broccolini but i don't think DP will eat it plain, could i maybe grill it with a bit of garlic, the zucchini & onion?

How do you have yours, i'm looking for low fat recipes too, very little oil and maximum YUM!

I ahve a feeling grilling it would dry iot out and make it a bit tough... I would enjoy it just steamed, but I understand that your DP might not be so keen. The simplest way to dress it would be a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Other ideas to make it not plain-

Sprinkle with any spice mixes you've got, eg cajun or moroccan, etc.
    Make some herbed butter with just a tiny bit of butter and chopped mix of whatever you've got - chives, parsley, oregano, etc. Or butter and mint, which is also a delicious dressing on carrots or peas.
    Steam it, then top with a mix of breadcumbs, fine parmesan cheese and sesame seeds, then grill just enough to crisp the top slightly.
    Steam it, then rub it in the dropped off bits of garlic from the vegies you grilled.
    Steamed with a yoghurt and herb (any of those above) mix as a dip on the side or a splodge on top. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to the yoghurt mix if you like.
    HTH.

Cook it super quickly over high heat with come garlic, a few drops of olive oil, salt pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar/soy sauce/kechap manis, some flaked almonds...noms!

mmm one of my favoutie vegies, might have to try some of these ideas

Thanks so much ladies that night i cooked a DELICIOUS veggie dish that even DP loved and he's more than happy for me to cook again.

1 x bunch broccolini (sp?)
    1 - 2 Zucchini's
    1/2 Red Capsicum
    1 Clove Garlic
    1 teaspoon butter (salt reduced)
    Oregano (dried but i would normally use fresh)
    Salt & Pepper to taste.

Cut zucchini into long thin slices (flat), cut capcisum into long thin slices & grill until brown
    Meanwhile heat butter, garlic & oregano in a pan then throw in broccolini, once cooked add in the capsicum & zucchini and toss.

SWe had this with pork and it was delicious, you could basically throw in any vegetable you wanted, even chunks of roasted pumpkin maybe?

Any other ideas would be brilliant though ladies.