Thread: Do you keep tomatoes in the fridge?

Default Do you keep tomatoes in the fridge?

I usually buy cherry, grape or mini roma tomatoes. I keep them in the fridge. My Tupperware fridgesmart tells me tomatoes aren't supposed to be kept in the fridge...
    Has anyone tried both and found one way keeps them better than another?

I keep mine in the fridge, but I have heard that you should take them out of the fridge an hour or so before you want to eat them.

I keep mine in the fridge as well!

I like cold tomato on my sandwiches....unless its a toastie...but that's a whole other thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikky View Post
    I keep mine in the fridge as well!

I like cold tomato on my sandwiches....unless its a toastie...but that's a whole other thread!
    mmmm toastie

Ours are kept in the fridge too. Haven't ever not kept them in the fridge so don't know about the difference. Just assumed they'd keep longer in the fridge..

Homegrown I keep out of the fridge, as often there are one or two that need to ripen. I do have the luxury though of only picking as I need them

I keep mine in the fridge so they keep longer but my MIL keeps hers out so they ripen more and taste better.

As a side point my mum always said if you need something to ripen faster leave it out with a banana...

It depends how ripe they are.

I do the banana thing. I wonder if it's true or a myth.

Fridge here, but have left them in the cupboard for a day or so to ripen as needed. I do this with other fruit (stone fruit, pears etc) too!

Fridge here.

Cherry toms in the fridge, but normal ones I just keep on the bench, I think it makes them taste better.
    Apples in the fridge though.

Interesting! I always assumed they would keep longer in the fridge too. Maybe the taste factor is why they recommend you keep them out then. We struggle to get through the punnet before they start getting wrinkly so I think I'll stick with the fridge then.

Little-O & Onyx - the banana thing is supposed to be about the gas a ripe banana produces isn't it? I think I remember learning about it in high school science... so it must be true

I do keep stuff out to ripen as well (pears & avos) but have always just bought ripe tomatoes.

Astrid, that would be nice But I am an absolute brown thumb. I kill the lowest possible maintenance plants. Except wandering dew - we have loads of that going gang busters.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I keep everything in the fridge tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkin, onions etc. I told DH it's because they last longer but really it's because I am lazy I just upend them all into the crisper!

The old fridgesmarts give you the settings for tomatoes.

I keep mine in the fridge, but nuke them for 5-10seconds when I'm about to use them, as the zapping of heat releases the lycopane (which is the active nutrient in tomatoes).

Quote Originally Posted by Joeve View Post
    I keep everything in the fridge tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkin, onions etc. I told DH it's because they last longer but really it's because I am lazy I just upend them all into the crisper!

Quote Originally Posted by Joeve View Post
    LOL, me too, although I will keep organic and homegrown tomatoes in the fruit bowl. They do taste better that way! But if they store brought tomatoes, they go into the fridge. I find not much makes them taste better, lol!