Thread: Inspire Me with your most delicious salad and other veggie recipes!

Default Inspire Me with your most delicious salad and other veggie recipes!

I want to eat more veg. I need inspiration.

What are your favorite veg and/or salad recipes?

If the contain pulses/legumes, all the better!

Thanks

In a rush but today I have made potato salad and a spinach sauce which is basically a white garlic sauce base, add spinach and then an egg - delish! My kids love it!

This is a hit whenever I make it, I got it off my SIL who got it off her GF

Lentil Salad

2 tins brown lentils
    5 roma tomatoes - diced
    1 spanish onion - diced
    1 bunch coriander - chopped
    Juice of 1 or 2 lemons - depends on your taste
    250g Danish Feta
    2 tsps ground cumin
    olive oil

1 - Drain and rinse lentils
    2 - Combine with diced tomatoes, onions, coriander
    3 - Crumble the feta in finely
    4 - Add cumin, lemon juice and a good drizzle of olive oil
    5 - Mix
    6 - Taste and add more lemon juice or cumin if required.

I'll post the recipe for the sweet potato couscous salad I am making for Christmas

Roast sweet potato, pumpkin, green bean and couscous salad

500g sweet potato (peeled and sliced)

1 cup couscous

125g green beans (trimmed)
    boiling water

butter
1/2 cup mint leaves (roughly torn)

? cup vinaigrette

1/2 cup natural yoghurt

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp honey

Method

Preheat oven to 200C.
    Toss 500g sweet potato (peeled and sliced) with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
    In a bowl, place 1 cup couscous with 1? cups boiling water and 1 tbsp butter.
    Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 5 minutes.
    Cook 125g green beans (trimmed) in lightly salted water for 3-5 minutes, or until just tender, then drain.
    In a large bowl, place sweet potato, couscous, beans and 1/2 cup mint leaves (roughly torn).
    Whisk ? cup vinaigrette dressing with 1/2 cup natural yoghurt, 1 tsp ground cumin and 
1 tsp honey, then drizzle over

This is exactly what I wanted

You've made an old woman very happy!

But Limey, please don't think that lets you off the hook. I am still making my way to your place for Christmas dinner

Keep 'em coming everyone

Roast Pumpkin Salad

We use a 20ml tablespoon and 250ml measuring cup for all of our recipes.

1.2kg pumpkin (we use butternut)
    20ml (1 tablespoon) oil
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    16g (about 2 medium) garlic cloves, unpeeled
    40ml (2 tablespoons) balsamic vinegar
    40ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
    20ml (1 tablespoon) honey
    100g (about 5 loosely filled cups) baby spinach leaves
    75g (1/2 cup) toasted slivered almonds
    100g feta cheese

Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius (190 degrees Celsius fan-forced). If you are not using a fan-forced oven, move the oven rack to the middle shelf position.

Cut pumpkin into slices about 1.8cm thick, and remove skin and seeds. Cut the pumpkin slices into pieces about 1.8cm by 4cm by 4cm.

Place pumpkin pieces on a large baking tray, drizzle with one tablespoon of oil and toss to coat. Spread pumpkin out in a single layer on the tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cut a small amount off the end of each garlic clove (this helps prevent the garlic from bursting out of its skin when roasting) and put garlic on the tray with the pumpkin. Bake pumpkin and garlic for 20 minutes. Remove tray from oven and set garlic aside to cool. Turn the pumpkin pieces over and return to oven. Continue cooking pumpkin for about 15-25 minutes, until lightly browned and tender when tested with the point of a knife. Allow pumpkin to cool to room temperature.

Make dressing (see instructions below).

Arrange spinach leaves, pumpkin and nuts on a serving platter. Shake the dressing and pour over the salad. Crumble feta over the salad and serve immediately.

Dressing
    Squeeze garlic from its skin into a bowl.
    Mash garlic with a fork.

Place garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper in a screw-top jar (we use a clean jam jar).

Cover jar with lid and shake well to combine the ingredients. If it is a cold day, the honey will take a little longer to incorporate.

From exclusivelyfood - awesome recipe!

Changs Noodle Salad - Recipe is on the side of the Changs dry noodle packets - super yummy!
    Last edited by Beach Mama; November 19th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.

I love salad if it has some sort of fruit and raw corn in it. Something like:

Coriander, chopped
    Red cabbage, raw, finely sliced
    Corn, raw, sliced off the cob
    Nectarine, peach, pear, mango, pomegranate (some sort of fruit) chopped
    Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
    Lebanese cucumber, chopped
    Whatever else you have in the fridge that needs using up.

Dressing: splash each of extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinergar.
    Toss well. Enjoy!

Vegetable korma

50g butter
    2 onions sliced
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    2.5cm ginger grated
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp ground coriander
    6 cardamoms
    5 cm cinnamon stick
    1 tsp ground tumeric
    1 fresh red chilli seeded and chopped
    1 potato cubed
    1 small aubergine chopped
    1 cup beans cut into 2.5 cm bits
    4 tbs natural yogurt
    150 ml double cream
    1 tsp garam masala
    salt and pepper
    fresh coriander.

Melt the butter. Add onion and cook until softened (not too hot we don't want to burn the butter mmkay). Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 2 mins. Add the rest of the spices except garam maslala and cook for about 30 seconds. Add potato and aubergine (and if you want you could pop some other veges in - sweet potato) and about 3/4 cup of water. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add beans (and maybe some other veges - cauliflower). Removed the veges to a serving bowl. Reduce the cooking liquid a little. Season to taste with salt and pepper then stir in yogurt, cream and garam masala.
    Pour the liquid over the veges. Garnish with coriander.
    Serve with naan and/or rice and/or pappadoms.
    When you eat think about the healthy veges not the cream, butter and yogurt

Here are some of our staples. Everything is approximate and just done to taste for us, so there are not really any measurements!

Cobb Salad- hard boiled eggs, iceberg lettuce, avocado, weight watchers ham/bacon, tomatoes and grated low-fat tasty cheese. Chop the iceberg lettuce. I squeeze some lemon on it, or you can use what ever dressing you prefer!

Tuna pasta salad- tinned tuna, grated carrot, corn niblets, chopped celery, red capsicum, cooked pasta, low fat mayo. Mix it all together for a yummy salad! Or if you want lower fat/calorie than that, use lettuce instead of pasta.

Avocado salad- 1 whole avo, ice berg lettuce ripped up, crumbled fetta cheese (you can use low fat), grated or shaved parmesan cheese. Drizzle with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or for the lower fat version, use low fat balsamic dressing.

Cucumber salad- chopped or sliced telegraph or lebanese cucumber, low fat natural or greek yogurt, chopped fresh mint or some dried mint works ok too, a little chopped/minced garlic (I use jarred stuff) salt to taste. Mix it all together and it's a great side with lamb and beef.

Greek-style salad- Mix together some roughly chopped Cucumber (again telegraph or lebanese are best), capsicum (looks great if you use yellow and red), olives, crumbled fetta, finely sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes cut in half. Drizzle with lemon juice, dried or fresh oregano and olive oil. Yum!

Asian style beef salad- Some sort of beef steak, bbq'd and sliced finely, lettuce of your choice (I also used baby spinnach leaves), 1 large red capsicum sliced into thin strips, fresh bean sprouts, green shallots sliced, fresh coriander leaves, shredded fresh mint. Dress with about 1/4 cup lime juice, 1-2 tsp fish sauce, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp garlic (from a jar), 1-2 small fresh red chillies, finely chopped, pinch of caster sugar. Put it into a little jar or container and shake it up and its a great dressing!

Potato and pumpkin bake. Slice up enough potatoes and pumpkin (I sometimes use sweet potato too) to fill a caserole dish. Thinly slice up an onion. Alternate layers of potato/pumpkin/sweet potato and a little onion. Just cover each layer in cream until the last layer, sprinkle a little cheese on top and bake at about 180ish degrees until cooked. You can microwave the veggies first to make the cooking process a bit faster. Not good for the figure but oh-so yummy!!

Carrot, asparagus, broccolini and zucchini stirfry. Slice up veggies to be about the same size. Stir fry in a hot wok or fry pan with sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, a little honey and oyster sauce.

Great thread I am now salivating! I will be stealing some of these recipes

I'm loving it too!

When I am not on my iPad, I will post my Dahl recipe

Annabel langbein has some great veggie meals, google her.
    I also like quinoa with roast vegetable, it's on the ninemsn recipe finder.

I'm on iPad, so if you need the links let me know and I'll find them

To catch the early-week crowd!!

quinoa and roast veg
    Cook quinoa in water - fluff up
    Roast some pumpkins, sweet potatoe and beetroot - all chopped into cubes
    Finely chop 1/2 bunch parsley
    Mix all of this together and add salt and pepper, lots of lemon juice and some olive oil
    (i like to add pomegranate seeds too)
    V yum and super good for you

Orange kumara and beetroot salad

4 large orange kumara
    400g fresh baby beetroot
    1 large garlic bulb (unpeeled)
    2 large red onions
    2 tblspns olive oil
    1/2 tblspn butter
    1 tblspn balsamic vinegar
    1 tspn brown sugar
    60ml olive oil
    3 tblspns lemon juice
    100g baby spinach leaves (stalks removed)
    100g feta

Cut the kumara into bite size chunks & lightly coat in a little extra olive oil. Wash & trim the baby beetroot. Bake kumara, beetroot & whole garlic on an oven tray 180?C for 40 minutes. Remove, peel the garlic & squeeze out cloves.

Slice the red onion into large wedges & saute in frypan with olive oil & butter for a good 10 minutes on a low heat. Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and saute a further few minutes.

Combine the 50ml olive oil with the lemon juice and garlic cloves.

Place kumara, baby beetroot, red onion & spinach leaves in a large mixing bowl. Gently toss through the oil & lemon dressing. Serve on a large platter or individual plates. Sprinkle feta lightly over the top of salad.

Mango, rocket and pine nut salad.

Chop up a whole mango, some cucumber, half a red onion and toss it with some fresh rocket and pine nuts and drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar. Light and fresh at this time of year.