Thread: Pineapple?

Default Pineapple?

I got a mixed box of fruit and veggies from my local fruit shop today and there is a while pineapple in it.

This is a bit shameful but I've never bought a whole pineapple before lol - I always buy it already chopped up or in a tin

So, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what to do with it lol. How do I know if it's ripe? And what's the best way to store it when it is? Chop it up and have it in a container in the fridge or leave it as a whole?

Thanks ladies - how embarrassment!

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

The way I check to see if it's ripe is to look at the seams on the body of it - you know the cris-cross pattern? If it's a darker green, it's not ripe. As it lightens, it's getting riper. I know there's a way to tell by pulling one of the stems out of the top, but I have no idea how so someone else might be able to give advice.

We tend to slice only what we need and put the rest back in as a whole with the exposed fruit covered in cling wrap. And I trim off the edges of the cut pieces before I eat it because I find those bits to be a bit to hard for my liking.

I was never quite sure about a whole pineapple either until I saw one with directions on it! I cut it in quarters long ways and then I wrap whatever I dont want up and put it in the fridge. What i plan to use on a single day I cut up and put in a container and stor it in the fridge too. Easy as. I think they mostly come to the shops ripe so it should be good to go buuuut I think they may have a sweet smell when ripe. Not a hge help but hope it helps a little

Actually once a pineapple is picked it never ripens. So when you pick up a whole pineapple in the store just look at the bottom and give it a smell. If it smells nice and sweet and the outside of the pineapple is golden yellow then it's a good one. If it's green then leave it because it will never ripen.

With regards to cutting it up I just cut the top off and then cut all the outside off. I cut up the flesh and put it into a airtight container in the fridge. Fresh pineapple doesn't last long in this house so I couldn't really say how long it will last for.

Enjoy.

Thanks ladies!

This one is golden at the bottom but quite dark green at the top still - smells nice though. I guess I'll cut it up and give it a whirl - DD loves pineapple so I don't think it will last long once I chop it up lol

Thanks for the tip Aussiegirl - i'll make sure the next time it's already all yellow if there is one in the box.

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

puree and freeze to use for later

if it was warm I'd suggested pureeing and making into icypoles

I was a teenager when I discovered pineapple comes in cans

The way to tell if it's ripe by the leaves is to hold one between your fingers and lift the pineapple up. If the leaf comes out while supporting the whole weight of the pineapple, it's ripe

a lot of places now though, cuts the leafs off... so its harder to check for ripeness.. but the general look and smell of it will help :-D

now if it was watermelon... go for the one that has the most hollow-est knocking sound. (and this is further backed by the fact if you go to cut it then it will basically crack in half.... hmmmmmmm)