Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Chatter #2

My bread maker totally ROCKS!! Ended up making tomato and red lentil soup for dinner to go with it (and the rain), DP and I demolished the entire loaf with a little help from DD. I will admit it wasnt the best tasting bread Ive ever eaten, but it was so damn satisfying just having home baked bread I didnt care... yes I am totally stoked
    Hope everyone is having a good day!

Oh have any of you eaten at the red pepper in west end? Is it good?

Of course I've only just realised I can't PM anything til I've been here a bit longer and have made 50 posts.

Aliash you can message me using my address which is my username at gmail. Would love to read more about vegan pregnancy/families!

Hi Tron, I will email you today!

Peach, I am so happy that you are using your bread maker. I love mine. I have a wholemeal loaf baking at the moment (with poppy, flax, sunflower & sesame seeds). You have to make calzone! Do you have a recipe for it in your book? If not, I will give you my recipe. I have also made foccacia and date & walnut bread, and I will be making pizza dough this afternoon. I have not bought bread since we got the machine in October! We do not eat as much bread as we used to. If I haven't made any, we don't buy it, so we don't eat it. Oh, and you have to make Cherished's spelt bread (recipe in original vego thread). We can but spelt flour at Woolies now (macro wholefoods brand).

Cherished, did you get the info I sent you? I hope you are well. I agree about the drooling icon.

Oh, it is pouring rain here...a great day for warm bread!

Aliash, I would love your calzone recipie! Yuuuummm. Next thing I want to make it a fruit loaf of some description. A cafe I worked at in Melbourne had the most amazing fruit loaf with apricots and figs oh yeah *intsert imaginary drool icon*

SIL came over today with DDs cousin so I made chickpea and veg soup with my homemade bread,dukkah and a rocket,walnut and balsamic reduction salad, very yummy!

Peach, I make a basic fruit loaf which works really well, white bread base and add a mashed banana, sultanas and vanilla extract. Goes great toasted or fresh. Good to hear your getting the breadmaker happening! I love mine!

Aliash yes hon I did get the email and I've been ever so rude not getting back to you You are a very talanted little cookie writing it

Peach so glad your bread turned out well, you will be hooked now!

tronica how wonderful to have some help TTC and to give up drinking

Smallfryplus I'm gona try that fruit loaf too!

Hello everyone else

AFM I think I have found a herb which is great as a blood tonic I think it's called dongwoo? I cant' remember but I have it written down, so I will see how I go with that

Woo hoo on the dongwoo, Cherished! We knew there had to be another way! Glad you got my email. Sorry for mentioning it, I was just worried it might have been lost in e-space.....

Peach, I am off now to put DS2 to bed. I will be back to type out some bread recipes. My pizza dough turned out really well and made a delicious pizza base. Your lunch sounds very delicious *insert drooling icon here*.

Peach, I have a Breville ikon. The following recipes came with the machine.

CALZONE

Add ingredients to loaf pan in this order:

240ml water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    150g/1 cup wholemeal flour
    300g/2 cups bread flour (ie. high protein flour, I use Lighthouse brand Bread & Pizza flour);
    2 teaspoons yeast

Set machine to Dough-Pizza setting (this is a 50min cycle on my machine).

FILLINGS:
    My faves- pesto, chopped olives, diced capsicum, diced tomato;
    Chopped broccoli, corn kernels, cheezly.
    The possibilities are endless!

*Remove dough from pan and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle of approx. 15cm diameter;
    *Cover half of each circle with the filling, leaving a rim around the edge;
    *Brush edges with water, then fold the uncovered half over the covered half and seal the edges;
    *Place onto a lined baking tray. Use a sharp knife to make a small slit in the top of each calzone;
    *Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 deg for 15-20 mins or until cooked and golden brown.

I know that is a bit long-winded, but I promise, it isn't complicated and it is so worth the effort!

FRUIT LOAF

For 1kg loaf, add ingredients in this order:

330ml water
    2 tablespoons oil
    1.5 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    600g/4 cups white bread flour
    3/4 teaspoon bread improver (I use a crushed vitamin C tablet as bread improver)
    2 tablespoons soy milk powder
    1 tablespoon ground mixed spice
    2 teaspoons yeast
    2/3 cup dried fruit (you could use apricots and figs).

Set machine to SWEET setting. It takes 3 hours and 25 mins in my machine.

Note: I have not made the fruit loaf. I reckon you could add more than 2/3 cup of dried fruit but I have no basis for that thought, just mere speculation.....

Hey Girls,

Aliash Thanks heaps for those recipies, I will definately have to try them yuuuum!

Smallfry- Your loaf sounds delish Ill let you know how I go making it

Cherished- Stoked you found dongwoo! How are you and the Spawn?

I found won ton wrappers finally on the weekend and made the most amazing vego dim sims! DP and I ate all 40 of them Fat Chops just woke up but will post the recipie at a later date, gotta run!

Oh Peach, I am hanging out for your wonton recipe. I love how you ate all 40! I think that is reasonable though. They are only tiny afterall. And that is only 20 each
    You remind me of my DH and I. We used to be like that, but now we have to share with DD and DS1. So I'd be lucky to get 5 out of that lot!

I made the fruit loaf a couple of days ago. I used cinnamon & nutmeg as the spices, and I used Iranian dates, Turkish apricots, sultanas and macadamia nut pieces. It was delicious. It didn't last long.....I am going to make another one tomorrow, but I want to use wholemeal flour. And I did add a little more than 2/3 cup of fruit (and nuts) and it was perfect.

As promised!
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...dumplings.html

Aliash that loaf sounds so nice. Im so hungry right now but we never buy snacks at shopping, only heaps of fruit and veg and things that take time to prep. I should start dinner now before Piglet wakes up otherwise its impossibe when she is climbing up the back of my legs.
    Hope your all well

Hi girls, gee it's been a while since I've posted in here...

Peach I lost heps of my herbs over the christmas/new year period due to so much rain whilst we planted them in good soil, underneath there's a fair bit of clay is with so much rain the soil just didn't drain properly and it drowned my herbies There are still lots that are ok but it killed some cooking herbs like my basil, oregano and even my rocket!!!

Aliash thanks for those bread maker ones, I will try them

OK so I need some help.... I am tired and feel so lazy and to make it worse I don't know what I feel like eating most of the time and to be honest I couldn't even tell you what I've been eating I'm that vague What can I make to keep in the fridge to eat when I don't know what to eat??? I've thought of some filling salads like cous cous with mint, nuts, saltanas etc and maybe one with lentils & chic peas that has more of a tomato base... Any yummy ideas?

I recommend have salads with protein/carbs in the fridge for nibbling on. I've done that over the past two weeks with both a soup and a salad (yes, soup, even in summer). My salad options have either had quinoa as a base or kidney beans (organic tin of), with whatever vegies you prefer (I love carrot - grated, raw beetroot - grated, even zucchini - grated!, capsicums, bean shoots, and rocket/spinach leaves, cucumber).

I make these up and they last for a few days; I'm the only one eating them.

The soups I've made for 4 but been eating just for myself for lunch include curried pumpkin and rice soup, lentil and barley dahl-style soup, and one called a green soup which includes zucchini, frozen peas and split peas.

I've also made sure I've made at least one fresh dip per week (make heaps at once and eat over 5-7 days) to go on rivitas or rice cakes or sourdough bread. These have included the old favourite of homous as well as an eggplant and sundried tomato one, and a vegan pesto, using almonds instead of parmesan and adding a little mustard powder for some flavour!

If anyone wants a recipe, let me know - I'll go fetch any of the above. Hope that gives you a few ideas cherished!

I second tronica on the dips, cherished, they're awesome in the heat too, straight out of the fridge on corn thins, or with bread or something. I always have a straight red lentil puree, then I just stir chutney or some spice or herbs through it to make it yum.

I edited a recipe of mine over the weekend, and it turned out SO well. We had the most decadent meal of the year on Sunday night: Rum Beans with Coconut Rice, corn on the cob and steamed green beans.

Rum Beans:
    1 onion, sliced into half rings. Fry over high heat (I didn't use oil) then toss in 1/4 cup rum & water mix
    (add as much rum as you think you'll like. The alcohol all cooks off, but the sweet flavour is awesome)

Tip this into slow cooker with borlotti beans, chopped celery, diced sweet potato, tomato juice and water - I'm not great at quantities, but it was probably a cup of beans and a total of 1 1/2 litres of liquid. I also added two drops of liquid smoke, but it was unnecessary. The tomato juice was leftover after some Bloody Marys!

Coconut Rice:
    1 1/2 cups long grain (couldn't cajole DH into brown.)
    2 hadnfuls almonds, chopped
    1 tbsp turmeric
    1 good handful of sultanas

1L liquid, which included:
    1/2 can coconut cream
    Tomato paste (leftover from something? Probably about a tablespoon)
    Basically I tipped these two into a jug and made it up to a litre.

Both dishes smelled SO good while cooking. We hardly ever have tomato paste - what an awesome treat! I actually think it might sort of be a good cheese substitute - all salty and good. Had to have the extra vegies to balance out the richness of both dishes - totally wicked!

Anyway, we're back home now, into the swing of it. A friend is making us some vegan lamb chops as an Australia Day present - nicest thing ever! I'm more excited about the gesture than anything else. We're going to an all-day sort of a barbecue, so have some leftover salad from last night's Tofu Awesome Wraps, which we'll do with barbecued tofu, and I'm making a Chickpea Salad to take to have with our "lamb chops"

Ohh, also, making Beetroot Dip. I think I've posted it before for you Cherished, but will do so again, since you're probably all baby-brained (yay!)

Beetroot - can use boiled fresh, or drained canned. Doesn't matter. Whatever quantity - it all balances out!
    1 clove garlic
    Toasted cumin seeds
    Toasted coriander seeds
    Walnuts
    Silken Tofu
    A few fresh coriander leaves.

My friend Harry once came over and had this, and I remember him asking "would it be bad manners to eat the rest of this with a spoon?" He loves it so much! He will be there today, so I'm pretty much just making it for him.

Happy Australia Day all.

Well happy Australia Day to you too SnugBug and thanks for those recipes

tronica Your salads sound yum and I think I will make some and dips too! Yes I imagine they will be yumo with my spelt bread...

Now I just need the energy to get off my butt go to the store get ingredients and come home to make them... Oh woe me

Well I"m very impressed with myself! I've made a pasta salad with olives, sundried tomatoes, loads of fresh basil, nuts etc I also made a potato salad which is totally yummo, I made the dressing with natural yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar and some honey, than I cooked some almonds and mustard seeds to throw in, plus some red onion and some regular & hot mint from the garden (thankfully something which is hard to kill so it's still alive)! I also made some curry rice salad with vegies etc in it and dried figs which are so soft and yum!... Then I made some spelt flaxseed bread (which I must have mucked up cause it came out half the normal loaf size) but it still tastes good... And now I am about 2 minutes away from taking some muffins out of the oven YAY, I made some blueberry and some banana and walnut ones

Friday will be dip day and more salads

WOW Cherished, I am very impressed! Well done. I only managed to make one thing for the fridge today - a babaganoush.

Hey SB, it is great to 'see' you again. Your Rum Beans sound delicious. How was your BBQ today? Your friend sounds very generous. I like how you are having a vegan version of the meat that has been promoted for Australia Day. Poor little lambs. My local butcher has a sign out the front saying ' 1/2 yearlings $300'. I hope Harry was stoked about the Beetroot Dip. I can also personally vouch for your Beetroot Dip.

Tronica, Hi, I would love to have your pesto recipe...I make a raw Basil and Maca nut pesto which is delicious. But I am always looking for new vegan pesto recipes.

We had a quick visit to Sydney on the weekend. My sister took us to a cafe called Naked Espresso. They do a vegan breakfast on the weekends. They have a dedicated coffee machine that has never had cows milk through it. The premises are used as a Pizza cafe in the evenings (and they do awesome vegan pizzas apparently). Anyway, the vegan b/fast was delicious. I had Redwood sausages, hash browns, baked beans, wilted spinach, tomatoes, sour dough bread, scrambled tofu...and Vanilla Slice! I have not had vanilla slice in about 14 years. The woman who made it has taken some time to perfect the recipe. She has also written a recipe book called Vegan Indulgence (published by Aduki independent press) but unfortunately the vanilla slice isn't in there. So, I still don't know the secret recipe!

Is anyone going to the Green Earth Festival in Brisbane?

Aliash - my sis is vegan, has been for donkeys years. She is addicted to sweet things so always makes different cakes and stuff vegan. I know she has a vanilla slice recipe that is apparently quite good. I've never been a fan of the stuff vegan or otherwise so can't give it a personal rating. Will see if I can get her recipe off her for you.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast