Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Chatter #2

Oh, Smallfryplus thanks so much. I appreciate your offer. My DH was always a big fan of vanilla slice, so I will be able to surprise him.

Vegan pesto - from Vegetarian Cooking Without, Barbara Cousins, p.140 (adapted)

1 bunch fresh basil
    1 spring onion
    1/2 tsp mustard powder
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup almonds
    juice of one lemon
    2/3 cup good olive oil
    salt and pepper

After washing/preparing, place all ingredients in food processor until smooth!

We had it over pasta and roast veg.

Aliash, I just got my 'Becoming Vegan' book in the mail. Excited to read it! Also, I just got offered fulltime permanent work in my field. Excited about that although will make it harder to finish phd; I guess, it will just take longer.

The important part of course is that I can relax a bit about income and know that *when* DH and I are successful on the TTC front, perhaps in 6-12 months, I'll be eligible for maternity leave. And we have some chance of moving into a new home too with more income. Phew

PS. Aduki press are great. I know the woman who started it up (Emily). I've never explored Sydney so I'll have to remember that recommendation when we go!

Thanks Tron! Sounds delish....

I am glad you got your book. I have found it very helpful. I read it cover-to-cover when I first bought it, and now I refer to it from time to time. Have you read The China Study? ( by T.Colin Campbell). Such a great read, lots of useful info.

My DD will be using my Aduki calico bag as her library bag when she starts school next week! It is the perfect size....and unique too.

The cafe that I mentioned, Naked Espresso, is having a Bake-off on Valentines Day. Aduki are involved too. I so wish I could be in Sydney for it. Mmm, what dessert would I enter, if I was? Maybe a lemon baked cheeze cake or my faithful staple, a decadent chocolate cake....I think I would rather be a judge than an entrant!

Well done on the job front too. That's great. I can just imagine you, in the final weeks of pregnancy, hurrying to get your PhD finished! I so hope that is the case....Sending pregnancy vibes your way!

Hello Peach...I hope you are well. Not long until DD's first birthday! Did you decide on a cake recipe?
    Last edited by *Ash*; January 30th, 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: vocab!

I have news... well, a basic recipe anyway! Spoke to my sis about vanilla slice and she said it's simple, just blind bake two sheets of puff pastry and make up some very thick custard using whatever method you use to make vegan custard (she's in the middle of moving house so didn't go into details but I assume you can get vegan custard mix and make it up with soy or rice milk? I'm not a custard fan so have never looked into it). Put the custard between the two layers of pastry and put icing on top - lemon, plain, chocolate, whatever flavour you want. Oh, and the custard needs to be sweetened so add sugar to it when it's being made. Set it in the fridge and away you go rumoured to be very yummy!

Aparently it's a messy job cutting it and the best way to cut it is to use a hot knife.

I have news... well, a basic recipe anyway! Spoke to my sis about vanilla slice and she said it's simple, just blind bake two sheets of puff pastry and make up some very thick custard using whatever method you use to make vegan custard (she's in the middle of moving house so didn't go into details but I assume you can get vegan custard mix and make it up with soy or rice milk? I'm not a custard fan so have never looked into it). Put the custard between the two layers of pastry and put icing on top - lemon, plain, chocolate, whatever flavour you want (don't forget the passionfruit pulp if you like that too!) Oh, and the custard needs to be sweetened so add sugar to it when it's being made. Set it in the fridge and away you go rumoured to be very yummy!

Aparently it's a messy job cutting it and the best way to cut it is to use a hot knife.
    Last edited by LittleOnes; January 31st, 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Most commercial custard powders are vegan. They seem to need more sugar than the recipe recommends though. The other option is Cottee's vanilla pudding mix. I make that up with Bonsoy (speaking of which, what happened with the recall? We were away) a little thicker than normal, for my vanilla slice Vanilla slice is on my top 5 of things I miss.

I made a cookies and cream cheesecake on Wednesday. Had to take something to a party for Thursday night, and Wednesday was so hot that I couldn't even LOOK at the oven, let alone turn it on! Recipe still needs some perfecting, so might tweak it a bit and get back to you. Base was basically half packet digestive biscuits, 60g melted chocolate, 1 tbsp vegie oil, and a few drops of water. Pressed into spring form tin, chucked it in the fridge while I made the filling.
    Filling was 1 packet silken tofu, 1/2 tub tofutti cream cheese, pinch salt, full packet Oreos (guilt guilt guilt!) ground up, 5 tbsp icing sugar, dash of vanilla essence, and 2 tsp cornflour in a soy milk slurry. Wizzed it all up and poured in the mould. Chilled overnight.
    Unfortunately the Brissie weather made it a bit oozy at serving time, but if serving straight from the fridge, it is perfect.

Dinner tonight is moroccan apricot chickpeas with lime and pistachio couscous.

Hi girls Cooking Without also has a a recipe for vanilla custard p. 181

600ml soy milk
    1/8th tsp stevia
    4 tbsp unbleached corn flour
    1tsp vanilla extract.

Place all ingredients into a pan and beat to blend in the corn flour, bring to boil, stiring constantly and simmer for 2 minutes.

I've never make it before but though anyone wanting to try out the vanilla slice might want to make the custard?

good job with the custard options gals I'm pleased someone knows about them as I'm lousy like that!

Yum, yum, yum....

Thanks SFP for the recipe. Sounds great, and not too difficult to prepare. Thanks for your recipe too, Cherished (how is bubs?)

SB, yet again you have me salivating! DH and I used to be serious Oreo addicts. The cake sounds delish. I will try that.

I have a yummy recipe for Lemon Baked Cheesecake:

BASE
    125g nuttelex
    200g McVities Digestive Biscuits, finely crushed
    2 tbs soft brown sugar

FILLING
    2 containers of plain Tofutti cream cheese
    2/3 cup sugar
    4 tbs fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup water
    2 tbs cornflour

METHOD

Base - Brush a 20cm spring form tin with melted nuttelex or oil and line with non-stick baking paper;
    Melt nuttelex in a pan, add the biscuit crumbs and mix well;
    Stir in the sugar;
    Press half the biscuit mixture into the base of the tin, and gradually press the remainder around the sides, using a glass to firm it in to place, but not all the way to the rim;
    Refrigerate for 10-15 mins.

Filling

Process the cream cheese in food processor, add sugar, lemon juice, salt;
    Process again;
    In a large mixing bowl, whisk water and cornflour until it forms stiff peaks;
    Fold the cream cheese mixture into the cornflour;
    Pour in to crust;

Bake in a pre-heated 180 oven for about 45 minutes, until golden brown. Then leave in oven for 10 minutes with oven turned off;
    Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.

Hello Ladies,

How is everyone going?

Thanks for posting your cheesecake recipie Aliash. Would love to try it, considering I cant even get muffins to work out in my oven maybe I should wait till we move(which isnt really on the horizon)

Snugglybean- I was going to make apricot chickpeas that you mentioned ages ago but the only tin stuff I could find was apricots in syrup, would that be ok to use? Oh yum that cheesecake sounds delish.

Cherished- How are you going? I seem to be seeing you around everywhere these days

Hi to Littleones,Tronica and any lurkers

Things here are ok, we have been sick which is so rubbish. Ive started taking a multi too, just feel like maybe I dont eat enough good stuff and especially with BF DD I want to make sure Im getting everything I need.
    Hope your all well*

Hey girls, hope you are all going well.

Aliash, I read all of 'Becoming Vegan' - cover to cover, it is such a great book! I recomend it to anyone - even if you are just vego, it's written really well. It is, however, now 10 years old - so I hope they do an update. I'm sure science would have changed over that period. One thing I noticed wasn't mentioend in vegan health was good bacteria - I decided to start taking 'Fast Tract', which has much more of the good bacteria than yoghurt ever could. I feel good but hard to know if that's the sole reason for it.

I've started fulltime work whilst completing my phd which is busy; not having as much time to sleep or do much else. Perhaps it's a good trial for a baby?

I've also been overjoyed by AF coming this week! I have PCOS and have only gone off the contraceptive pill since 1 Jan. I followed and recorded cervical mucus and thought I had a fair idea of when I ovulated, and I was right! Exciting for me because I had the impression it would take much longer to ovulate and was told I'd likely need Clomid to conceive. Perhaps I can avoid that and just get there naturally. Yay! My cycle may be about 45 days long, but at least it exists which is more than I expected.

Respect Tronica! Phd and full time work is insane. Thats great you can track your cycle, best of luck with it all*

So I completely forgot in my post before, I need more lunch ideas for DD pretty please? I feel like I am just feeding her the same things. Keeping in mind I am very lazy TIA

Been quiet in here lately!
    On kids' lunches, Peach, I've been going made for bean spreads lately. You can use soaked or cooked beans, and blend it up with some flaxseed oil, olive oil and water. I often also add a flavouring, like lemon myrtle, or a bit of chutney. It adds a good boost to your sandwiches.

Dinner tonight was mushroom risotto with a mix of forest mushrooms, roasted tofu and a rocket pesto. Yums. DH wanted something really carby after his 100 mile ride today.

We've been going crazy on smoothies too, because we've had heaps of bananas lately. And avocadoes have been cheap, so we're buying 10 at a time!

I also made up a roast vegetable and couscous salad - just chucked heaps of vegies in a roasting pan at 220, stirred them through uncooked couscous, then added 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, then the boiling water. Covered and fluffed through with flawseed oil and pistachios. That will be lunch tomorrow.

I love food.

Oh, in other news, it's DH's birthday tomorrow, so I have bought him a breadmaker! Prepare thyselves for a barrage of questions!

Hey Audax!

I hope your DH has a great b'day. I love my bread maker.
    Congrats on your pregnancy! Beautiful, wonderful news. I am very happy for you.....
    We have been getting beautiful, sweet, local bananas for under $2 a kilo lately. Love it!

Yum, I wish I could join you for lunch tomorrow! Sounds great. You are such a good cook.

Hi Peach and Tronica

Hi chickies! I haven't been in here for aaaaages! I've been lucky to eat anything because I just haven't felt like anything even though I was starving! I've just started to get my appetite back over the last week and enjoying food again YAY.

Audax I still love our bread maker, what brand did you get, yell out if you want a couple of tested recipes

It's a Ronson. Hit me up with all your best recipes! I will at the very least start getting the good ingerdients together.
    We just went to Mrs Flannery's and spent $35 - this has to be a record breaking minimum spend! Mostly on snackies for the weekend - we're going camping. We're pretty well stocked at the moment for all our beans and nuts. Except pine nuts - my $25 worth from this time last year finally ran out. Have to go back to Mick's Nuts in West End for some more. They are the best.

Question Cookies & silken tofu

Hi girls,

This is a great bread for toast or sandwhiches

1 1/4 cups pure water
    2 TBSPS extra virgin olive oil
    2 TBSPS maple syrup (can substitute)
    2 TBSPS Soy milk (can substitute)...*I used organic Oat milk
    1 tsp sea salt*I used regular table salt
    1/2 cup organic flax seeds
    3 1/2 cups of organic spelt flour (unbleached as finley milled as possible)*I used 1/2 wholemeal spelt and 1/2 white spelt flour
    1 1/4 tsp yeast

Put it into the bread maker in the order listed, I cooked it on the wholemeal setting, medium crust and 1000g loaf size

I have another one which is crusty on the outside and light and soft in the middle which is great for soups and stews and I have another one I love which is great to add herbs to etc and eat it with a fresh salad, if you are keen for those let me know.

? Does anyone add silken tofu to their soups, if you do what purpose does have other than adding protein, ie does it thicken it up? Also what are your fav vegan cookies you like to make that are quick and don't use an egg substitute either?

Thanks and i hope you are all having a great weekend

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast