Thread: Your favourite vegetarian recipes

Default Your favourite vegetarian recipes

Please post a couple of your favourite vegetarian recipes.

A old, unhealthy favourite that I recently resurrected is vego nachos. I used to make these at uni so they are pretty cheap.

You need
    Onion
    Kidney beans (you can soak and cook them or use a tin)
    Either a jar of salsa sauce
    or
    a tin of tomatoes
    capsicum
    cumin, ground coriander, garlic, ginger, chilli.

optional
    corn
    sliced mushrooms
    sliced green beans

Corn chips (unflavoured)
    Avocado
    Sour cream
    Grated cheese

Chop up the onion. Fry it a bit, add kidney beans and salsa ingredients. Heat everything through. Taste. add extra chilli, salt, pepper etc.

Put corn chips on a large plate with a thinner layer in the middle. Throw about half the cheese on (at this stage you can chuck the plate in the oven for a few minutes to semi-melt the cheese. Then layer everything else on top of the cheese. Then put more cheese on top. Cook at 200 for about 10 minutes. Check and if it isn't done cook it some more.

Put mashed or diced avocado on top and sour cream (or natural yogurt is ok too).

Eat. If you eat all the beans and veges and let your companions eat the chips and cheese it isn't quite so fattening

Nina?s Buranee Banjan

2 eggplants
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
    Salt
    Cayenne pepper (optional)

Trim stem off from the eggplant. Do not peel. Quarter eggplant lengthwise (half and then in half again lengthwise). Sprinkle with a little salt and leave in a colander to drain for about 15 minutes. Rinse the eggplant and then pat dry with paper towel.

Add oil to large frying pan and fry eggplant on both sides until they begin to turn brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from frying pan and set aside.

Using the oil that stayed in the frying pan and adding more if needed, saut? onions until they start to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes or so.

Place fried eggplant on top of the cooking onions and tomatoes, add 1 cup of hot water, salt and cayenne pepper (optional) to taste. Let cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until water has dried out and eggplant is falling apart.

Transfer eggplant to serving plate. Top with plain yogurt or garlic yogurt sauce with mint

Garlic Yogurt Sauce With Mint
    This sauce also goes well served with lamb dishes or combined to diced cucumber making a delicious summer salad.

About 1/2 cup plain yogurt
    Minced fresh mint to taste
    About 1 garlic clove crushed or to taste
    A dash of salt

Pour the yogurt into a small bowl. Mix in the crushed the garlic, mint and salt. Cover and chill.

Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni

Ready Made Pasta Sheets (we use the lasagna ones because it seems to fit better)
    Spinach (usually use the frozen kind)
    Ricotta
    Parmesan

Tomato Base Sauce
    We make ours with 2 cans of tinned tomatoes, 2 zucchinis, 2 carrots, onion, garlic, basil and oregano

Make sauce, mix together cheese and spinach. Put a thin layer of sauce on a large baking dish then wrap the mixture into the pasta sheets and place on top. Finish with the rest of the sauce and then some cheese sprinkled on top. Put in the oven 180 for about 30-40mins.

Pumpkin Salad

Pumpkin
    Baby Spinach Leaves
    Other vegies optional - we like Capsicum and Semi-dried tomatoes
    Feta or Parmesan
    Pine Nuts
    Pesto (make or buy)
    (Non-vegetarian Alternative is to add some Bacon)

Fry up the pumpkin (or roast) adding the pine nuts towards the end to toast a little. Throw all ingredients together and dress with pesto.

Roast Vegie Couscous

Pumpkin
    Sweet Potato
    Capsicum
    Tomato (roast fresh or just use semi-dried)
    Zucchini
    Garlic
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Nutmeg
    Lemon Juice
    Couscous

Coat the vegies in some olive oil, roast in bit size pieces with the garlic. Cook couscous (instructions usually on the packet) and stir in spices (if using fresh, toast them in a pan a little) with a tablespoon butter after cooked. Add vegies and drizzle some lemon juice. Can add some chilli flakes to taste.

Spinach and Feta Couscous

Spinach
    Feta
    Semi-dried Tomato
    Couscous
    Lemon

Cook couscous, dress with lemon juice, add feta, spinach and semi-dried tomatoes.

We also do just general stirfrys over rice, rice noodles or couscous. We just kinda try to get a variety of colours - so say brocolli, baby corn, carrot and red capsicum. Can make a billion different flavours from satay to teriyaki but that's DPs specialty so I'll have to ask him the specifics.

Pasta with tomato sauce

200gms plain flour (plus extra for rolling)
    2 large eggs
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    500gms cherry tomatoes (can use any, but my local grocer sells cherry tomatoes mega cheap)
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    Large handful of torn basil or oregano (or both, or dried herbs if fresh not available)
    Salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste
    Parmesan cheese to serve

Sift flour, make well in centre. Stir eggs in with a fork. Knead into soft dough, if too dry add a touch of warm water. Roll through pasta machine according to instructions, or roll in batches with rolling pin then cut into 0.5cm strips for fetucinni (easiest pasta to do without machine). Cook 3 minutes in salted boiling water.

Heat olive oil, add tomatoes, stirring until collapsed. Add remaining ingredients, taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Stir through cooked pasta, sprinkle with cheese to serve.

Could also add your choice of vegetables (or meat - I use cacciatore), just cook to your liking before adding tomatoes. Another idea is instead of pasta, use a potato peeler to peel thin slices of zucchini, cook this with the tomatoes.

Roast Capsicum Soup

4 red capsicum
    2 tomatoes
    1 red onion
    2 sticks celery
    2 cloves garlic
    Olive oil
    Dried basil and oregano
    Salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste
    Tomato paste
    500mls vegetable stock (I find Massel brand the best)

Roughly chop veggies, drizzle with oil, sprinkle on herbs and season. Roast for 20 minutes at 180 degrees. Cool slightly, blend in batches. Add to pot with stock, bring to boil and add small amounts of tomato paste for richness to suit taste. Serve with crusty bread.

I have too many to list. My favourite site is veggienumnum, it's awesome I cook from there all the time. especially eggplant balls, with tomato pasta sauce and spaghetti. YUM YUM!

Carrot and Coriander Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 brown onion diced
    3 sticks celery diced
    3 cloves garlic crushed
    1kg carrots
    Birds eye chillis (optional),
    3 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon ground tumeric
    Salt and pepper
    Approx 500mls veggie stock (again Massel brand) you only need enough to just cover the veggies in the pot so it can vary
    1 bunch roughly chopped coriander leaves and root (approx a cup)
    200mls cream

Roughly chop all veggies and sautee in oil. Add spices, frying until fragrant. Add stock, bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes or carrot is tender.

Cool a little before blending with coriander in batches. Return to pot, gently heat and stir through cream. Do not boil as it spits every where.

Those are my 3 favourites. but I often make heaps of veggie stir fries, curries, broth soups, frittatas etc if you'd like one of these recipes let me know also have a Vietnamese Noodle Salad recipe but too long to type.

Will add this disclaimer:
    ALL measurements are approximate, I make it up as I go along. I hope they're not too way off!
    Last edited by lady_neon; November 17th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Spinach and Feta Triangles

You can use either filo (which I find fidly) or puff pastry for these
    3 cups shredded spinach (if fresh and uncooked) or 1 cup frozen (squeeze all the water out)
    1 tablespoon onion flakes
    1/2 block feta cheese crumbled
    1/2 tub cream cheese
    pepper to taste (salt if you like, but feta is salty)
    If using filo you will need melted butter

Mix all ingredients until well combined. If using filo, brush each sheet with butter and layer till you have 5 layers.
    Cut pastry into squares of desired size (mini ones or bigger ones, etc) and fold into a triangle, sealing edges.
    Bake in a moderate oven until golden.

Pumpkin and Feta salad

2 cups diced pumpkin
    1/2 a large sweet potato diced
    1 bag of baby spinach leaves washed
    1/2 block of feta crumbled

Dressing
    1/4 tea sesame oil
    1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
    4tabs olive oil
    2 tabs red wine vinegar
    brown sugar to taste to balance

Drizzle veges with a little olive oil and toss to coat. Roast till tender. Allow to cool slightly.
    Combine all dressing ingredients and mix well.
    Combine veges, spinach and feta and toss dressing over.

I have also made a version of this with roasted fresh beetroot instead of other vegies and also made it with quinoa and left out the feta.