Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Edible garden chatter

we have a few things on the go. capsicums have only just stopped producing, mostly just peas and carrot. we've ripped everything else, and need to plant the "green manure" seeds in the next week or so (it's basically a grass sort of thing that you turn back over under the soil later to enrich with nitrogen and replace all the stuff that the vegies take out)

Default Edible garden chatter

We have recently moved to property and planted lots of vegies none are ready for harvest yet as they have only been in the ground 3 weeks. However on the property is a 2 massive lemon trees that have so so much fruit, 1 mandarin tree which is just starting to fruit, 1 orange tree with lots of oranges. Also 2 macadamia trees which has produced well. There is a mango tree here too so hopefully we get mangos come summer. I've also planted 2 banana trees so hopefully bananas in summer too just need to build a garden box for strawberries now. When's the best time to plant strawberries??

I pulled up a row of capsicum plants the other day, and picked half a shopping bag full of fruit at various stages of ripeness. This morning I made pepperonata, a slow-cooked mix of peppers, onion and garlic. Yum! Also regularly harvesting kale, chili, eggplants, purple beans, beetroot, fennel, celery, rocket, and... that's probably about all at the moment.

I also have potatoes which need another layer of soil every few days at the moment, carrots which don't look like they're forming much of a root, lettuce which bolts before I manage to harvest from it more than about 3 times, and jerusalem artichokes which don't seem to be sprouting at all. In place of the peppers I pulled up, I planted broccoli and sugar snap peas, and I have a bed of dwarf beans which are not flowering just yet.

I'm not sure about the strawberry planting time, danita, but my plants (in Perth) have just stopped sending out runners, so I presume that means it's a good time to plant them, and so I did that last weekend! It's a whole different climate to Darwin, though.

Default Edible garden chatter

Oh I'm back I'm NSW. Should update my profile sounds like your getting lots of vegies

Ok, with spring here and some great weather here in adelaide the past few days, I have started thinking about my garden again this year. Last year was my first year growing anything successfully, but I started a bit late so didn't grow much. Does anyone have any tips on what I should be doing now to ensure a better harvest this year?

Get started asap, grow from seedlings rather than seeds.

Feed the soil, not the plants. Good soil makes ALL the difference.

Don't forget to water them.

Give edibles that produce over a longer period (like beans, peas, tomatoes, etc) some seasol or fetilizer every now and then, and you'll get much better crops.

Hope that helps!

Meanwhile, in my garden, we're eating lots of beans and celery, plus the usual array of herbs. A few carrots, beetroot and spring onions still to be harvested. Lots and lots of rocket. Swiss chard, rainbow chard, tatsoi, spinach and mizuna in the leaves bed. Waiting for my winter broccoli and cabbages, still. Getting a pea every 2 or 3 days... not enough to collect, so i just eat them straight from the vine. They're doing badly because the soil is terrible there and I didn't give them any worm juice at all. Jerusalem artichokes still haven't come up. Potatoes are looking amazing above ground, just hoping they're doing their thing below ground as well. Occasional strawberries. Blueberries a little light on this year, because I accidentally let one of my plants die last summer.

Wow! Your garden sounds amazing! We have a tiny backyard and not much space for the pots that I try to grow stuff in. I tried growing beans a few times over the winter, but for some reason they didn't work. Is there anything you recommend feeding the soil with? It's all just potting mix (although used before, or should I replace the mix??).

I'm just gonna sit down and work out what I can grow in my limited space this year...

Wow! Your garden sounds amazing! We have a tiny backyard and not much space for the pots that I try to grow stuff in. I tried growing beans a few times over the winter, but for some reason they didn't work. Is there anything you recommend feeding the soil with? It's all just potting mix (although used before, or should I replace the mix??).

I'm just gonna sit down and work out what I can grow in my limited space this year...

I'm here now! I've planted 2 tomato bushes - a Roma and a Big Red - as well as chives and rosemary. I've got onions, carrots, sweet basil seeds growing at the moment, although I'm not sure they've all taken, I'm gonna hafta try a different approach methinks.

The other day I got my worms! We ordered 2x Little Rotters, which are in-bed worm farms which come with 1000 compost worm bombs each, and 2000 garden worm bombs. So I've put them in today, the eggs will take a couple weeks to hatch, and then another 6 or so weeks to grow to maturity. I'm getting dirt under my fingernails every weekend and I'm loving it!

Good on with with your worms, Keike.

Chody, the bigger the pots, the better, and yes, you'll need to refresh the potting mix, for sure, with compost/manure. One lot of plants will use all the goodness in the soil, leaving it depleted for the next lot, especially in a pot where the roots have limited spread. When I say feed the soil, what you want is organic matter (compost, manure, worm poo, that kind of thing) that has plenty of microbes in it - all the little tiny living bacteria that make the soil function as it should. The soil life is what makes the nutrients in soil available to plants, they transform them into a format they can access. So if you're reusing potting mix, especially if it's dried out between uses, it's not only depleted, but dead as well. There's a newish fertilizer called Troforte, which is meant to be full of all these living goodies (think probiotics for your soil), which I am trying for the first time now.

I just harvested a few months supply of potatoes, also getting rainbow chard, celery and fennel still, plus all my usual herbs. I have 4 type of tomatoes which have just gone in, malabar spinach, eggplant cuttings (not sure if this will work or not), and basil seeds. Hoping to get cucumbers, watermelons and rockmelons in this weekend. And maybe corn. And pumpkins. Ooh, lots to do!

Any experience with blossom end rot on tomatoes? I have just picked my first tomato only to find it rotted at the bottom. What can I do to fix the problem and save the rest of my crop??

Can I pick them when they are still green? Or will they rot off the plant as well as it ripens??

Woo hoo, a gardening thread!

2CM - Do you mean like a little discoloured softening? We had that on our cherry tomatoes before Christmas and it was a bug that had gotten in at the bud stage, so too late to do anything. Not sure about other causes...we find seaweed, kelp or worm tea helps disease resistance.

About our veges - Because we're renting, have crappy sand instead of and our shedful of gardening stuff is interstate, we decided to keep things simple. Our veges are all planted in bags of potting mix with holes in the tops - no pots even. We have a herb planter and a wheelbarrow/cart type thing we're using for carrots this spring as its deep. Our carrot and mixed lettuce seeds have just sprouted, beans, cucumber and zucchini have flowers and buds, and cherry tomatoes are a few weeks off being ready. We also have a few shallots and some ancient leeks from last year that haven't really grown.
    The garden itself already has a giant lemon tree, olive tree, rosemary bush, grape vine and lemongrass. This is the first time we've seen grapes on the vine, so aren't sure what type they'll be, but hoping for something edible (rather than wine grapes!). Any grapevine tips? We are using snail baits around the veg for salters and snails, but any natural tips gratefully received.

So the seeds didn't take, none of them. I had them in individual peat pots, so I thought I'd try sowing them straight into the garden beds - and now I have heaps of little green onion shoots coming up, and I have no idea how to thin them out! Do I literally just gently pull out the extra shoots, and replant them in an extra row? I don't wanna throw them out...

And I've got some nice tomatoes on my Roma, but it hasn't gotten any bigger like my Big Red has - BR is twice its size! Is that normal?

I'm like you - hate the thought of throwing out perfectly good seedlings when thinning out....I've tried replanting but they always die....but I still do it every time!

I think Romas are generally a smaller plant than BR.

My carrots and lettuce seeds have sprouted...DH planted one side and DS the other, but only DH's seeds have sprouted...not sure what happened with DS' as I supervised! Not one carrot or lettuce, lol!

My cue's and zucchini are flowering but not pollinating...mostly male flowers too. Any ideas why I'm getting mainly male flowers?

Default Re: Edible garden chatter

I'm thinking heaps ahead here, but tempted to have our family Christmas prezzie next year being some above ground garden beds ... maybe 2 for veggies, one for herbs... ?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213