Thread: Flowers and Fruit issues

Default Flowers and Fruit issues

Hi
    Looking for some advice on two different matters please.

Have bower jasmine that we've had for a few years not. Inherited from a friend of mine when it was in a very large pot. Put in garden in sunny spot (but not sunny for all of the day) and left in pot. Grew really well along garden wall and trellis but little or no flowers. Thought it might be pot bound as had now spread considerably and took out of pot and replanted. Didnt see to mind change but still don't have any flowers. Any ideas? We haven't but it back atall and I am no wondering if I should give it a really good prune and perhaps this would encourage growth. it has heaps and heaps of new leaves and shoots but now flowers?

Any ideas?

Also have lime tree which refuses to produce limes. Has again grown fairly well from when we planted but has only ever produced a handful (in total) of limes. Is now probably 2M tall (maybe a little bit more) and was 1/4 to 1/2 M when we bought. It is planted beside a lemon tree which produces the most enormous lemons. So assume soil is okay. Lemon tree probably gets bit more light than the lime stree as there is Lilypilly on its other side which towers over.

Again any ideas?

PS Loving all the colour in the garden at the moment. My morellas have just produced the most amazing flowers and my iris are going off like crazy. May need to post a question about them as they are walking Iris' and are producing lots of new "legs" that have no where to go.

Some citrus trees can be a bit slow to get going, you have to patiently watch them grow for several years before you get any fruit.

Having said that, plants need phosphorus and potassium to set flowers and grow fruit. Fertilizer (or compost) that is high in nitrogen will give them plenty of lead growth but won't help with flowers. Giving them a dose or two of an organic fertilizer for veggies and flowers will help.

Thanks MD the lime tree has been in for 5 years plus so i still be patient lol? Will check the type of fertilizer we are using and give them an organic dose. Should i prune back the jasmine at the same time?

I'm not sure about pruning, give it a go I suppose.

The lime tree needs to be pruned at the end of summer to middle of autumn. Citrus needs a good cold winter to get good fruit. Also make sure bugs and bees aren't eating the flower buds, as these are what turn into the limes.
    Also you should leave the first fruit to fall off on a citrus, never pick it. And they don't usually produce fruit till their 2nd or 3rd year planted.
    As for the jasmine, it also sounds like it needs pruning and prob some maxi food.
    Pruning helps re circulate the water so the plant doesn't waste energy (literally) on dead ends.

Hope this helps.

Our lime is having doing the opposite and fruiting a massive amount so ill let you know what we've been doing in case any if it helps

It's in a pot so needs a bit of different care to a ground planted tree but here goes. It gets seasol once a fortnight when the veggies are fed. Rooster booster once every three or four weeks, a liquid iron supplemenr once every six weeks or so and a designated citrus feed every three or four months. It seems like a lot I know, but because everything here is in pots we take extra care with them I guess. It's obviously paying off as the last time I checked one branch has something like 50 small limes starting out. The tree is only about 1.3m high...

Given yours is planted near your lemon it may be that the lemon, as the stringer tree, is sucking nutrients from the ground that the lime needs. So you may need to supplement a bit to help it set fruit.

As for the jasmine, give it a hair cut. Big time. See what happens. If its not flowering it may just keep growing out of control if you don't hard prune it. Hate the stuff. Lovely to look at bit can get out of control so easily and I am highly allergic. We had to rip out fenced to get rid of it at our last house as it had wound itself so tightly around it. Once we realised that was my allergy trigger...