Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox problem...

I realise they are a pest and a danger to wildlife, so should probably be trapped and destroyed.

i just think it's kind of cute that it's attacking soccer and tennis balls

It is pretty cute. Maybe it can be lured into a trap with soccer and tennis balls lol.

Default Fox problem...

I thought it was cute too

Maybe I should set it up an obstacle course

I'll admit I don't like the idea of it being shot or baited. But then I'm a bit of a sook. And yes I realise they are a pest.

they can carry mange - so if you have dogs they can get it from them.

I've seen two foxes where i live. and more dead ones then care to count.

They are introduced and kill native animals and farm animals and not for "food" they are thrill killers i've had one chook taken by one - found it on the fence line dead, not eaten or anything, aneighbour has lost her entire flock - not eaten just killed (and the stupid thing came back when her son left some roosters he had as bait and shot it)

They need to be shot IMHO, not baited as thats cruel.

We get them a lot around here and one even dug a hole in the side of my dressage arena! One of my friends on the central coast has had problems with them giving her dogs an itchy skin condition.
    Our dogs tend to scare them away from the house but I have seen them at one stables I work at being VERY bold and out and about during the day and not afraid to nip people because they are being fed.
    I understand from an old farming bloke that if you pee outside it discourages them from hanging about........so send in the boys to "mark their territory" and see if it's and old wives tale............

The only good fox is a dead fox IMO. They are cruel mo-fo's and we actively hunt them because of how destructive they are. They are nocturnal predators and while you may think they are harmless enough, they are doing untold damage to native wildlife - because I'm guessing you don't feed it so how do you think it gets fed? I really would be calling the council and having it removed.

Where I grew up there were fox carcasses perpetually hanging in lines on the outer fences of surrounding farms. My mum used to tell me it was to warn the other foxes to stay away. They are cute, but they are vermin. They will kill small animals (including cats) And they are diseased (which can spread to domestic pets).

We see a few around here. A few as road kill as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    Where I grew up there were fox carcasses perpetually hanging in lines on the outer fences of surrounding farms. My mum used to tell me it was to warn the other foxes to stay away. They are cute, but they are vermin. They will kill small animals (including cats) And they are diseased (which can spread to domestic pets).

We see a few around here. A few as road kill as well.
    The people who live around us do it and it's to show you how many they have killed on your place. They do smell though so maybe there is some truth to that old wives tale.

I am an animal lover but i also think that foxes are an environmental nightmare and are right up there with feral cats in the damage they do. I would call the council and get them to remove it.

Foxes in the UK have been known to attack babies, so I wouldn't put it past them to nip the kids.

Thanks Nai. I'll call the council today. I prefer the less redneck approach. Obviously.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

How did you go Rouge?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I dont think shooting a fox is a red-neck thing todo. one bullet one kill. its humaine for them and saves native aniamals and farmers stock. I see them lined up along fences around here or hanging off tree's besides the skelp and tail there is no money to be made off them - at least rabbits the meat is used and the fur too.

Feral cats are as bad - i have seen a few that where shot, 3/4 the size of a fox o.0

Yep, not a redneck option. Bullet, gone. Certainly around here there is no council trapping of foxes and not even feral cats anymore, basically left up to the farmers and hunting community to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    Thanks Nai. I'll call the council today. I prefer the less redneck approach. Obviously.
    Yeah thanks for calling me a redneck. Obviously they can't just shoot it in your backyard and more than likely they will euthanase it like they would at the vet, but calling us rednecks for saying they need to be hunted and killed isn't cool.

The council will trap it and shoot it just like 'the rednecks'. It's the cheapest, quickest and most humane way.

Ok before ya'll jump on me. Especially those that should know me better than that. I wasn't saying SHOOTING a fox was redneck. Stringing up a dead animal like its Blair Witch is. Next time if you're confused as to what I mean please ask me and don't assume

Also shot plenty of animals in my time. Grew up in redneckville. What else ya got

Well you could have just said that in the first place I don't see what they do as being redneck, it's just a better way of them letting you know how many foxes they shot on your place instead of knocking on your door at 2am to let you know

I'd prefer a note in the letter box thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast