Thread: New ways to recycle

Default New ways to recycle

Back in the bad old days, many people had very limited access to recycling. There were all sorts of nasty systems, like tiny curbside boxes that *only* took newspaper and toilet rolls but *not* plain white paper or icecream containers but not yoghurt ones; or places you had to drive with big metal bins you had to chuck your things in one by one (the dumbest system ever for glass which just ended up broken every where).

I think we've come along way since then, and it seems like there are new or novel ways to recycle (or reuse) things. What are some you've heard of or use that other people may not know about?

For eg, my public library has a battery recycling tube at the front entrance. It's just as easy to remember to take your used batteries as it is to remember to return your books, and it seems to be very well used.

Default Re: New ways to recycle

Anyone?

We used to have a reuse shop a the local tip. The tip supervisor would look at what people were bringing and if reusable the item would be put off to the side for sale, rather than landfill. So things like plant pots, fence posts, furniture could be bought at a very cheap price. Sadly it got shut down due to an over the top OH&S concern Most times we would leave with as full a trailer as we went in with (no we did not produce extra rubbish, there is no garbage pick up so have to deal with our own)

Have not come a battery recycling system before - would use it if we had! We have a mobile phone recycling system at work, the local transfer station recyclines pretty much everything they can. I honestly can't think of anything unique though lol

Try Aldi for battery recycling - our local ones have got the bins just inside the entrance.

Pantyhose can be reused for a few things. When I was growing up we used to put our jumpers on one then hang it on the line - no peg marks or stretching. They can be used as plant ties, hanging onions & garlic, a tennis ball in one then tied to the clothes line to be used with a cricket bat, tennis racquet etc or as a toy for the dog.

Spray bottles, relabled and used for spraying pests or cats