Thread: Recycling old computers and bits

Default Recycling old computers and bits

What did you do with your last computer?
    We have just purchased a new computer and need to get rid of the old one. The store did offer to do a cash back thing, but we weren't eligible because it needed to have a working battery - we failed that test, so that means we are stuck with this massive pile of useless plastic and assorted nasties that are inside. As well as the battery which is still a battery, even though it no longer works.

Our council will collect them on hard rubbish day, but that's a year away. It's also not the safest option when it contains lots of valuable information - even though I would wipe it as much as possible.

It's useless to pass on to anyone -we don't know many people who are less techie than us - we are the last to upgrade. And it would be no good to a charity without a battery that functions.

I know I can send my old mobile in to Mobile Muster free of charge. But what do I do with my old PC?

Thanks in advance.

our local council has just updated details to say they will take all computers/tv's free at the transfer station - they send them off somewhere and they are stripped back to components and recycled. it was literally last week they changed it (before then they charged $10 minimum to get rid of something)

Donate it to a TAFE for spare parts in a tech course?

I worry about clever techies getting their hands on my private bits Keike!
    Might have to drive poor old pc to your neck of the woods BG! LOL.

Our council shut the transfer station to put the Peninsula link in. Then didn't open another one. But then it's the least of our concerns - our MP is Geoff Shaw - it's surprising we have anything at all.

That aside, I have googled even more and it seems Officeworks 'might' accept computers and Harvey Norman 'might' accept TVs. I will ring Officeworks in the morning.

Regardless of what you are doing with it, I'd take the hard drive out and destroy/dispose separately or store it. Even giving it to Officeworks, council etc does not guarantee your data is safe from being stolen. (We have a stack of old hard drives in a box in our ceiling )