Thread: Books/ Children's stories

Default Books/ Children's stories

I've just finished going back through ll the threads in this forum. There is so much helpful information in there. Thank you so much to the experience mums who have shared their information with the newbies (including me). lol

Someone mentioned a book that they read to their kid that helps explain where they came from or how they were made.

I was wondering if we could put a list together of children's books that explain IVF, home insemination, IUI, donors and so on...

And also a list of where to get them from.

Or is there a list of these book somewhere already?

Question

Hi Everyone,

that is a really great idea of JoRach- i have been on this ivf/home insemination journey for the last 8 years really - and i must admit i haven't come across many books, stories that explain ivf, donor children etc well.

i vaguely remember PlaySchool getting into some trouble a few years ago - for reading a book about a little girl that had two mummies. Although the name of the book escapes me.

I am at the stage of development with our children where questions are being asked - two children with the same anon donor through a clinic and one child with a different donor who i know - conceived with a syringe at home. My son who has the known donor - is very curious to know where his 'dad' is and why he isn't around. The other two children dont' seem to care or want to know.

so if anyone has some suggestions of books for the 3-5year age group - id love to hear your ideas.

the only books i have are some books i ordered from the States about 5 years ago - on Lesbian parenting etc.. they have been helpful in some ways - but are not child appropriate.

I live in Brisbane and haven't discovered any bookshops that are quite like the ones that I am use to in Newtown -Sydney etc

Cheers
    Levi

I reread through the posts to try and find the name of the book I saw.
    It was called "where do i really come from". No author was mentioned. Might Google it.

It was posted by Leasha

http://www.parentlink.act.gov.au/parenting_guides/specific_issues/donor_conception

My story, Infertility Research Trust, 1991, children’s book about donor insemination.

Our story, Donor Conception Network UK, 2002, series of three children’s books dealing with donor conception in different family contexts

Where did I really come from? Narelle Wickham, Allen and Unwin, Sydney, 1992.

How I began: the story of Di, Infertility Social Workers Group NSW, 1988.

Let me explain: a story about donor insemination, Jane Schnitter, Perspectives Press, 1995, suitable for primary school-aged children.

Another website http://booksfordonoroffspring.blogspot.com/

Some might not be appropriate... I haven't read up about them
    Last edited by JORACH; January 21st, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

We have 'Where do I really come from', its amazing, it is in Jazzy's book shelf and even though she has no idea what it is yet, she flicks through it from time to time and I just love the matter-of-fact way it describes it all.

The book son Play school were the four "Learning to Include" series by Vicki and Brenna Harding (Rainbow Cubby House, Koalas on Parade, My House, Going to Fair Day). We have those too, they are so cute!

We have a bunch of Todd parr books to, they are fun!

Theres also a HUGE range of children's books at the GLBT online bookshop 'Hares and Hyenas' (google it) in the 'Parenting' section. I can't wait to get 'Mommy, Mama, and Me', and I really want 'The Duke who outlawed Jellybeans' although it doesn't have rave reviews. Still looking for a 'pushing the boundaries' kind of fairytale book where princesses marry princesses LOL

I work in early childhood education and I read these books with my kids. The 2 to 3 year olds love 'we belong together' and it's a fabulous book about families of all shapes and sizes. It's written in a way that really involves younger kids, and the pictures really grab their attention. 'I call my grandma nana' is not about children conceived in different ways, but is a beautiful story about the differences from family to family. I haven't read Mommy, Mama and Me but I've heard great things about it. All of these books are available on a website called Fishpond.com.au which is a great site.

We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families
    By Todd Parr

I Call My Grandma Nana
    By Ashley Wolff

Mommy, Mama and Me
    By Leslea Newman, Carol Thompson

King and King. (For a fairytale where the prince gets to marry his hansome prince)
    by Linda de Haan

And Tango makes Three. (true story about two male penguins at a New York zoo)
    by Justin Richardson

These are on Amazon.com, there is heaps more there.