Thread: Hi - I'm new with some questions

Default Hi - I'm new with some questions

Hi,

My OH and I are in the middle of moving to Australia (she's Australian and I'm English) on an interdependcy visa and we're wanting to get started on IVF (to have our own baby) within the year.

I've already got 3 children from a previous marriage and my OH doesn't have any - what we're wanting to do is to use her egg and for me to carry the baby using donor sperm. I can't have anymore children of my own the traditional way due to a tubal ligation 9 years ago and as I have a much higher risk of neural tube defects (have already lost a baby to anencephaly) I'm not happy about using my own eggs - plus OH wants a genetic baby of her own.

Am I right in thinking that we can access Medicare funding for the procedure which will just leave us paying the top-ups? Can anyone recommend a good clinic in NSW (Newcastle area) that is lesbian friendly?

Thanks,

Fiona

hello there and welcome! Im not sure of about newcastle for fertility clinics but there are definately a couple in Sydney, we are going to be using a clinic in sydney ourselves. As far as the cost goes, you will still have out of pocket expenses after medicare, medicare doesnt cover administration fees either, so when you refer to top ups, you are paying the difference, yes. You will need to apply for a medicare card as soon as you arrive. I did have a question though, why doesnt your partner have the child? Im just curious! What a move for you also! huge infact, are the children excited? congratulations anyway and I wish your family the best of luck settling into a new life together!

Hi hun, thanks for your reply

Yeah - sorry, by top up fees I meant out of pocket expenses, yet another English/Australian difference!! I'm eligable to join medicare and will be doing that asap once we've landed, along with a huge list of other things. The first couple of days in the country aren't going to be relaxed at all!!

Hope's on some pretty hefty medication so can't carry a child herself (and due to her past she wouldn't cope at all well with the invasive nature of childbirth - she'll just about cope with the transvaginal scans but certainly not the possibility of a strange mans hand up inside her). I'm more than happy to carry the baby - I love being pregnant and giving birth so it's a good deal for both of us.

It's going to be odd making the move - Christmas in the sun?? How bizarre!! Hope's been living with us for almost 3 years now and its time to give up on England and head 'home'. Today it's a 'super hot day' according to the radio and it's 24C!

hello there again! I thought I would fill you in on what I learnt today. I was speaking to medicare today and I found out that my partner and I now qualify for a family medicare card, which reduces the threshold, as we are now identified by the government as being in a *defacto* relationship. I questioned the *family* title as we do not have children, but they said regardless, whether you are hetro or gay/lesbian, with or without children, as long as you are in a *defacto* r/ship, you are entitled to this type of medicare. So there ya go, thought you might be interested, this is a good thing!!

I also contacted the fertility clinic we are using for the first time, as we have changed our minds regarding clinics. They were so helpful, we are out of town, so being able to go to sydney regularly isnt convenient, so they are going to work with us and our doctor. I was so pleased, it takes away a lot of pressure and our *normality* isnt massively impacted. Im sure that sounds silly, as creating a life isnt exactly part of our every day life, but maintaining as much of our normal existence is really important to us while we go through the process of falling pregnant. We were going to wait until next year to start but we have decided to just go for it, so in a few months depending on when we can get an appointment, we will be well on our way to making our beautiful family. wootwoot

By the way, jet lag may hit you sideways for the first few days, so take it easy and breath our australian air in first before you go mad organising things. I remember when I moved to edinburgh, I was such a workaholic that I went looking for a job the morning after I arrived, I got one but had to pass it up as I was completely hit by jet lag the same afternoon and couldnt work the first shift lol

You should also google the gay and lesbian lobby NSW, this will give you some info on all the new legislations that are in place now or about to change.

ok, time for me to head off, take care