Thread: Introducing D&M

Post Introducing D&M

Hello Everyone

We are a Lesbian cpl, I am Marlo 32 and my partner is Dan 41. We are pleased to have found a site where we can find relevant information about pregnancy that is in Australia!! Anyway.. we will be trying to conceive in about a year, in the middle of building houses running businesses and building careers..(you can never find the right time!) I will be the baby machine (Dan said that) and Dan will be nodding and smiling lol We have been a cpl for 4 years and we look forward to beginning a family together. We will be using a known donor which we feel is the right path for us to take. I spoke to my GP the other day about wanting to conceive for the first time and she was really excited (lets see how she feels when she meets Dan!) lol Speaking of which, the doctor spoke of getting a full check and making sure rubella and what not was up to date but she also mentioned a hep A vaccination, is this a standard procedure?? Any thoughts or questions or advise would help us greatly. We don't have any children as yet, so any advise would be appreciated. We just have a mass of animals so far, who we adore. ok, thats us for now..we look forward to sharing our thoughts and reading yours.

Bye for now Marlo & Dan

Hi and welcome to Belly belly Marlo & Dan i'm sure you will find all the advice and info you need here it is a wonderful caring site

Hi Marlo & Dan!! There is a lot to prepare for when TTC, its such a good idea to start this early with vaccinations etc for the both of you, no matter who is carrying as your partner will have close contact with the child as well whilst he or she is unimmunised. Myself and kim had our blood tests to see if we were immune to Rubella & Chicken Pox. We both were immune to Rubella just, from when we were immunised in high school, but we both topped up and got an MMR vaccination just in case (Measles, Mumps Rubella) DTP (Diptheria, Tetinus & Pertussis) as well as the Chicken Pox vaccine. Its so easy to catch and is really a no no during pregnancy.

Never checked out Hep A tho, i guess what ever you can be vaccinated against ahead of time is a good idea, although i dont believe in unnecessary vaccinations if you aren't at high risk of contracting the disease.

Pertussis is particularly important as it is something you can get vaccinated for now, before pregnancy, otherwise you have to be immunised immediately after the birth so your baby doesnt contract it before their first immunisations. Whooping Cough (pertussis) is a nasty one for the little ones. I work at a childrens hospital, its horrible to see.

Come and join in on the Gay and Lesbian General Chatter Thread, its a bit quiet!!!

Hello :-) Welcome to the site! Glad you found it...
    I don't really know about the Hep A vac. I know the other ones are pretty standard. If you're at risk of Hep A I think you should get it done, otherwise I'm not really sure if you'd need it...

I've never heard of needing a Hep A vax for conception. If you are at risk for eg. travelling to an area where Hep A is endemic, working in the waste/medical/horticultural industry, or one of the services then maybe, but for the average person Hep A isn't really an issue. I've been vaccinated but I was a medical scientist in my previous life (before becoming a Mummy).

Good luck with your journey into Mummyhood and family life, you'll love it!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello and welcome and i hope your ttc journey is a short one

Hi and welcome, agree with all the details from twomums. Would also add the suggestion that you check to see if you've already been exposed to toxoplasmosis (blood test). You mentioned animals- biggest risk of toxo grom cats and especially their litter trays, you definitely do no want to be exposed during pregnancy. If you have not been exposed thne as far as I am aware there is no vac. but would suggest that whne u r preg you do ont change kitty litter etc. Anyway, this must all be quite overwhelming as we have been bombarding you with info, so enjot your preconception preparations.