Thread: Introducing Me and my family!!!

Talking Introducing Me and my family!!!

Ummmm

Ok obviously my name is Ursula and my partner's name is Mandy. We have been together for 11 years, living together for 9 years. Mandy has two daughters from her previous relationship - both live with us. We have a 8 year old son who was conceived with known donor sperm via at-home inseminations. James only took four individual attempts over a period of 6-7 months. This time round things took a lot longer, over a period of 27 months, dealing with issues of PCOS, being overweight and just at times really bad timing I am very pleased to be expecting our second child together - with only 4 weeks to go. Our little girl was conceived using the same known donor as James so we feel very fortunate to have been blessed twice over and I am so happy that James and MJ are biologically brother and sister. This is our last pregnancy...................

That's abt it - thanks to Kelly and other board members who decided to make this thread available. Having somewhere to go and just let it all 'hang out' so to speak is very liberating.............

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Hi Ursula,

this is the first time I've read about your family so I'm really glad for your post!

yay ursula!!

*waves* I've never met you, so hello!

Wow, only 4 weeks to go! How exciting! Its extra special cos he took so long to make! (I think he's a he!) lol

Can I ask... do you have a donor agreement? Does he play a role in your child and child-to-be's life?

Claire Guest

Hey Ursula - I didn't realise that James and MJ are biological brother and sister - that's really really cool

We have a verbal agreement as such nothing formal.

When we first started out he agreed to be there as the donor for any and all future children. He has two boys of his own (no wife or partner - she left) who are close to DS's age in fact his youngest is just 3 months older than James. He visits us occasionally and James and his boys get along really well but have no clue they are related. We always said that if DS or this child (DD) wanted to know more than we would tell and our donor would also be acknowledged but so far DS is very content and hasn't asked any questions. He refers to DP as his father he calls her Dedee and shares this info with his friends and their families and they are all very supportive and recognise us as a family unit. On the birth certificate I have no biological father listed - the space is empty.

Hope that makes sense - very hard to put into words rather than just speech.

ETA - Thanks Claire - we think we are very lucky as well

Yep that makes lots of sense

We are a little worried about what would happen if our child even asks "who's my dad" as we are using an unknown donor, but hopefully we will be ok. We plan on being very open about how they were conceived (age approriately lol), but still wonder. I think there are some really good books out now which are good... we are getting one or two for our neice and my bro (who is 6) to explain it all when the time comes. Anywho, this could be a WHOLE other post! Just wanted to let you know that yep, it all made sense to me. And how lucky you both are to have someone willing to give you such a gift!