Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mum and....mum?

Default Mum and....mum?

Hi all! This is kind of an introduction as well as a general question, so...er, hi!

I've been with my girlfriend for 6 years and we're at the point of planning to start TTC in a year's time. My GF is applying for the police force and wants to have a good solid career before we go to start trying, so in the meantime I amuse myself by buying everything that you normal people all buy when you ARE pregnant...hehe!
    We'll be using a known donor, a very good married friend of ours who is happy to help us out, so we're very lucky on that count

The question that has plagued me for a long time regarding families and such...other lesbian mummies, what do your children call you? Are you 'Mum' and 'Mum'? Or...mummy, mum, mama...? Do your kids have any trouble with the definitions?
    For now, we're both resting on both being 'mum', but I was wondering if it ever got confusing for your children

Nice to meet you all!

My partner and I will have this come up quite soon I think - we have a one year old - and have so far decided on Mum and Mummy... Not sure if that will result in confusion though.

What an interesting question I have no idea myself but just wanted to say hi and a big Hope your TTC journey is a very short one

Nice to meet you! We thought about that too, but I like the use of mummy and would kind of like the both of us to have it as well?
    Your son is just adorable, so cute!

EDIT: Oh, Lily Dust, you ninja posted while I was writing back, lol! Thanks for the very warm welcome! I certainly hope so too, I have quite severe PCOS, so I'm kinda hoping...but not very confident. But oh well, I'll stay positive before I actually begin TTC xx

My lesbian friends are both Mummy.. The child is now 3.. Actually he has started calling one of them babe, cos thats what her partner calls her .. Other lesbian friends decided on Mummy and Mama.. They never ended up having a baby though..

Haha, that's so adorable that he's started calling her babe! Awwww Oh, that's sad that your other friends never ended up having a baby

Mum and Mummy until the little darlings hear a visitor use your given names and decide to use those instead

lol i agree with rumpled elf lol!!! my eldest 2 called me by my first name after everyone else n called my mum "mum" lol i would prob just go along for the ride with the names as they will sort of make up their own minds..
    Hi n Welcome n GL on ttc hope everything works out for u guys

Welcome to BB!!

My niece and nephew call their mums Mum and Mummy. They're interchangeable too unless both of them are present at the same time. Actually 4 year old nephew is currently calling them by their first names!

My friends call their 'birth' Mum "Mum" and her partner by her first name, but that is a little different becuase the kids were fathered by the Mum's XDH.

Mum and mum here. Jazz just calls mum... she knows exactly who she means and most of the time so do we.
    Sometimes she is a little cheek and calls mum, and one of us will answer, and she'll say "No! MUM!" and so the other will answer, and she'll laugh and say "No! MUM!". LMAO!

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!
    Haha Leasha, Jazz sounds adorable! What a little cutie! Wow, it's interesting to hear so many different versions, I think we'll be Mum and Mum too. My partner just said last night that she thinks she wants to start trying now, so I'm quite excited!!

Ooh, that's exciting that you're starting now! Whoohoo!

Just was going to add that unless you really want it, you don't have to stick with "Mum" - a bit different, but a friend's daughter calls her grandma "Emmy" which was a childhood nickname of the grandma. I thought that was a nice touch (the great-grandmother was still alive when my friend's daughter was born, and she was "Granny"). I'd understand if you both want to be Mum though, it's a bit of a special word

Welcome and best of luck TTC.

Oh, Sasha, that's adorable! I do think you're right though - Mum is a special word and we both want to use it. My mum will be called Grandma and my grandma...well, we're not sure yet...lol! She was Nan to me, so that might still be fine

We've given ourselves til January to start, so we can tidy up a few finances and so I can lose a few kilos...lol! Wow, it's so exciting...!

Another question, though. When you have a baby, does the love for your partners change? Do you love them differently...do you love them less? My DP is my entire world...I can't imagine that changing when a baby comes along!

Welcome to BB!! I have a male partner so a bit different, but I find that my 2 kids call me all sorts of different names at different times, I get mum, mama and mummy depending on their mood, so you may find it changes as well for both of you at different times!
    My love for my partner increased amazingly seeing him love and care for our kids. Good luck with TTC!! xoxo

I have worked with quite a few two-mum and co-parenting families. The combos I have heard are:
    Mummy and Ma (where Ma is pronounced by the child as if it is a 14 syllable word. SO cute!)
    Mummy and Mumma
    Mummy and Nickname
    First name (birth mum) and Nickname (other mum) and Nickname (dad)
    Mummy and Mum-Mum - didn't like this one, as can see the kid getting older and wanting to use "cooler" names for each parent.

Started off as Mum & Mama here...... then DS decided we were all Mummy, including the daycare ladies, random women friends........now we are Mummy & Mama
    He is really clear about who is who & would not accept Mum at all, she had to be Mummy! So, perhaps your little one will decide for themselves what your names will be
    good luck & welcome to BB!

Where we swim in glitter and play on rainbows

Mummy and Mumma here as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast