Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breast Check

Try not to worry too much. Most changes in breast tissue aren't cancerous (click on the link). If you have a regular GP that you trust, it might be worth making an appt with them for Mon or Tues rather than waiting for ages at the hospital which can be stressful in itself, and they may not even be as helpful (your GP will be able to follow up on results etc better than a random hospy dr). If you don't have a regular GP, now is a good time to get find one that you really 'gel' with. I know better than anyone how hard it is to wait when you're worried, but get some support, and do lots of nice things this weekend to distract yourself.

Hello ladies..
    Just wanted to let you know that im going to the clinic at 5pm at the hossy..

The hardness has gone now but i think i will still go and get it checked out. just to be on the safe side....

Retro - let us know how you go - I agree with MD that you need to find a good GP and being newly moved now is the time to suss out the good ones

Ring me if needed

Retro - let us know how you go - I agree with MD that you need to find a good GP and being newly moved now is the time to suss out the good ones

Ring me if needed

Evening ladies. i just wanted to let you know that i went to the after hours clinic at the hossy AND i have an infection in my breast... i dont know how i got it. i have antibiotics to take and the doctor said that if it didnt go away after the course of the antibiotics then to make and appt with a doctor..

I bet you are feeling relieved . Be sure to follow up if it doesn't get better in a few days.

Will do. Yes i am relieved actually.
    Thank you for your advice

I can't recall if I have mentioned this in another thread but:

About 6 months ago I had a very sore left breast. It felt hot and i was aware of discomfort even when not touching it. By the time i got around to thinking about making a doctor's appointment it had passed. Then it flared up again right before my next period. I waited until my period was over so that i could determine what was hormonal tenderness and what wasn't. But then time passed and it was forgotten (DD was causing us huge stress and we were organising her to move interstate etc). Next month just before my period, same thing but now no hotness just tenderness.... and so a pattern started. I have never really had tender breasts like most women do before their periods but i was wondering if this was just a normal thing settling in. I knew how to do breast checks and there didn't seem to be any definite lumps. My nana had breast cancer in her final years though so I know i am probably a candidate. Anyhow finally life calms down and about 3 weeks agoI get to see my GP about it. She examines me and whilst doesn't seem to feel any definte lumps she books me in for an ultrasound which i had about 10 days ago. I've done that but i'm now too chicken to ring up and ask about the results! From past experience my GP just calls me if any result is out of order.... so i am assuming that this time 'no news is good news". is this safe to assume? We really can't afford another $20 (gap fee) for her to tell me that the test was clear.... that sounds bad doesn't it?

Personally i think i had a lingering breast infection. Last period i had no pre AF pain.... also had a cold that had turned into a respiratory infection and i suspect that the large natural dose of antibodies might have helped to clear away any bugs in my breast tissue. It's been over 2 months since i have felt any kind of discomfort... when i check myself now it feels perfectly fine.

Bath, is your GP one that you can ring and ask if there is a need for you to attend an appointment? the GP may be able to ring and give you a yes or no on whether you need to come in... i wouldn't assume it's a "no news is good news" thing though...

BG: no... they have receptionists who only seem keen to make appointments. They might interrupt a GP to ask about a script but not about test results (from past experience). I have to return in about 3 weeks for another GP appointment for another issue anyhow... i was just going to wait.

I do my check monthly, but every day I look at the texture of my breasts as I massage oil into them, to see if anything has changed.

I'm also off for my first mamogram tomorrow.

Just thought I'd this...it's so important!!

Now, I've got huuuuge breasts. As in 18GG. I REALLY can't tell anything when I examine myself. There are lumps everywhere and wayyyy too many to remember. I start on the outside of one boob and by the time I reach the inside I have completely forgotten what lumps there where on the outside They are just too big. I mean I have to examine about 4kg of breast tissue. That's A LOT! Can I maybe get a mammogram done? How often would I do that to be able to pick up on lumps on time? Also, how much does it cost? My doctor examines me every two years when I'm there for my pap smear. But How will she know whether there are changes in my breast when not even I can notice?

I would advise that you continue with your monthly self exams, but when you next go to your doc, talk to her about what your options are. I will be. Plus I will be doing regular checks cause I have been lazy lately! My boobs aren't necessarily huge, but they are lumpy naturally and I can't tell what's abnormal. Maybe just because I've never had anything abnormal (I hope!) and maybe if there is something abnormal I will be able to tell...but I will be speaking to my GP about what other options there are or what to look out for when doing checks.

I have actually never spoken to anyone about it, I find it kind of sad that it's not something my doc asks me about regularly, or even ever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12