Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast Check

Default Breast Check

Hi girls,

This is almost embaressing to ask. How do I check my breasts? I'm not sure why I have never been taught how!!

Is there a specific way to do it? What am I looking for?
    Last edited by Aimz; July 21st, 2008 at 03:20 PM.

Amy, I recommend you go and ask your GP to show you. It is very important to do it every month and to do it correctly. This is a pet topic of mine as mum has had breast cancer and I have had a precancerous lump removed already (about a year before conceiving DS1).

The best time of the month is early in your cycle, a few days after AF starts, as this is when they are less lumpy. Lift one arm above your head, and with your other hand gently start under your arm and work your way around the whole breast. You are feeling for any changes or lumps (a lump might feel like a pea under the skin, or just like a lump. If you are not sure if something is a lump or not, go and get it checked. It is better to be on the safe side.

Good on you for asking this question. As well as helping yourself, you might be helping someone else who doesn't know too!

Thanks heaps Manta. I'm not sure why I've never been shown how! My grandmother died of breast cancer when I was three and my Mum has also had a precancerous lump removed. A close work colleague was also diagnosed with breast cancer and has been in remission for 5 years. I've never really thought to check my breasts (being only 23) until now when I realised that breast cancer can still occur in women in their early 20's.

My GP has never asked me if I check my breasts, nor has my gynaecologist. I'm not sure why Mum never taught me either - I'll chase her up when she returns from overseas!

Thanks heaps for giving me some info. The next time I am at my GP I will ask.

Dr Chris Steele demonstrates how to examine your breasts

Don't forget to check up under your pits and the area near your neck.

Thanks heaps for that link Dach. Very informative.

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

Hi ya Amy, ... I had my 1st scare at 26 & actually had breast cancer surgery at just turned 34

My SIL is 26 & found out she had breast cancer in March, she has one more round of chemo to go.

My older sister had surgery last Wed & finds out tomorrow if they got it all ... Fingers crossed for her

To be honest Amy I myself can't tell one lump in my boob from my next so I get my GP to check them for me. She does it when I have a pap smear

The GP takes it quite serious if there has been breast cancer history on your Mother's side of the Family. Therefore usually you can have a mamogram at an earlier age in your 20's

Yeh, your GP is the best person to ask in how to go about checking them as they can do you a demo, which is easier to see it been done on yourself !!

(Don't forget those armpits too !!!!)

I think it's good to do it yourself as well as getting your GP to do it.
    Your boobs are lumpy normally but in a few months you'll know what is normal for you so you'll notice any changes.
    Your GP can feel any lumps that have a non-fleshy consistancy but she doesn't know what is normal for your breasts so she might miss a change that you won't.

I think that is why I am confused. My boobs have many lumps and bumps anyway and I'm not sure how to determine what is a normal part of my breast and what is not. Will a suspicious lump sit closer to the surface?

I think you mainly need to look for changes in colour, sensitivity, discharge, unusual textures, new lumps and so on. Familiarity with your own breasts means that you will notice subtle changes.
    There is an article from The Mayo Clinic HERE that explains breast familiarity.

That is incredibly helpful - thanks Dach.

Off to do my very first official breast check now!

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

Good on you Amy

... I just treat it no different than getting a pap smear - It's just a part of a woman's life & looking after herself without getting yourself all worried about it.

Sadly to answer your question, myself & SIL both had the lump at the back wall cavity. No where near a surface

Cheers for now from Lorelle

the neighbour lady next to my dh's parents just found she has breast cancer and told every woman she knew to get checked, regardless of age... I was going to start a thread but found this! Thank you!

as with amysarah - mine have always been lumpy. had a "breast check" type thing not long after ds was born... she didn't mention anything. Could the lumps that I have be nasty, but just feel like normal lumps? I'm not worried - but if I was that type of person, just thinking that could flip someone out!

I don't have "lumps" as such. Its more just that there is so much stuff that makes up a breast, I wouldn't know what is normal and what is not. The link that Dach provided is helping me learn about my breasts and to familiarise myself with what is normal and therefore will be able to notice any changes in future.

I did my first breast check last night and just as Manta said, because I am on CD6 my breasts were a lot softer and nowhere near as lumpy as they would be later in my cycle.

I think I've got this thing figured out now!
    Last edited by Aimz; July 22nd, 2008 at 08:27 AM.

My grandmother died of breast cancer. My mum,aunt and sis have all found lumps but they were all ok. Me i have found nothing but i get worried when my boobs get sore.I am not sure if its the muscle and the bra's not right? Ive never been checked by the dr but i have to get a referral so may ask.

Hello ladies , i just come across this thread....

my boobs have been really tender the past few days... and when i woke up this morning, for some reason i felt my left boob on the side closest to my arm.... it felt abit hard.. it went away and comes back now and then.... most the time before AF my boobs get tender but not this tender my right boob is just tender no hardness in that
    So i'm a little concerned

Hi Retrogal - please report ANY breast changes to your doctor - the vast majority of breast changes will be harmless but you don't want to risk that eeny tiny percentage that it's not. I had a mastectomy recently and at one of my appts I heard the breast surgeon talking about another patient she had to get special permission to operate on because she was SIXTEEN. So it can happen at any age. Your dr will probably examine the area and may order an ultrasound or other tests to confirm everything's ok. It could be something like a cyst or whatever but you won't know until you get it checked out.

Thanks Marydean

I called the local medical centre they werent taking anymore patients.. as they close at 11:30. But she did however give me the hospitals number and told me to ring after 1pm to see when the next consultant would be on.. i have a million things running through my mind right now

Quote Originally Posted by smiles4u View Post
    The GP takes it quite serious if there has been breast cancer history on your Mother's side of the Family. Therefore usually you can have a mamogram at an earlier age in your 20's
    This applies if you have a history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer in either your Mother or your Father's side of the family. There are a few indicators they look at such as the age at which the family member got cancer.

If you meet the criteria, you can get an appointment to a familial cancer centre who can work out your risk of getting cancer, and assist in getting screening mamograms etc.

For info on familial cancers, see the brochures at GHSV and contact your local genetic centre.
    Genetic Health Services Victoria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast