Thread: How do i succeed?

Default How do i succeed?

I want to improve my diet in order to begin to recover from chronic fatigue I can no longer work and i am constantly sick and bedridden.
    My question is if you changed your diet how did you stick to it?
    It is going to be really hard especially with 2 toddlers and a husband who likely wont do it with me.
    im really desperate and I dont want to fail this but i feel like such a failure in everything else i really want to succeed and get my life on track.
    Is there a person i can see to keep accountable to?
    what methods did you do?
    I wont be doing a particular diet, or fad i will just be eating fruit veggies all organic increasing water salt and protein consumption and trying to decrease sugar intake.
    How can i reduce sugar intake?What things have hidden sugar?
    Im thinking small goals and small weekly improvements.
    thanks looking forward to others experiences

Default Re: How do i succeed?

What things have hidden sugar? Pretty much everything!!! Almost anything commercially produced will have sugar in it - tomato sauce, pasta sauce, everything. Reading the labels is the only way you will find out and cooking from the scratch is the only way to avoid it!

As far as the salt consumption - great to keep up a good intake of salt as it has important health benefits - I'd go for a pink himalayan one which is supposed to have more health benefits than regular salt. Don't be afraid to add good natural fats to your diet also for healing properties (butter, coconut oil, animal fats).

The 'grandma' philosophy? That being that if your grandmother didn't have it back when she was young then don't eat it. Basically avoiding all processed things and getting back to home made real food.

It is hard going to make the change though since there is so much processed stuff out there and some of it is mighty delicious

Yeah I've been using pink Himalayan salt it's so Yummy

What do I need to look for on labels? Does it just say sugar? Or does it have other names? What's a normal amount of sugar or minimal amount that's achievable ? Or zero sugar in the food?

When you read the ingredients list, they are listed from the most ingredient in the product to the least. If you've got to have something with sugar in it, try and pick something that has it right at the end of the list, definitely not in the first few. It may say sugar, but can also say fructose and corn syrup (it's a really bad one), dextrose, maltose, corn and corn sugar are other forms.

Really, all sugar is not good - even natural ones like honey - though some do use a good pure honey as a sweetner.

Get "My fitness pal" and log everything you eat. When you have to log everything you eat you make better decisions. I just started four days ago and I'm down 600g (on 1500 cals a day). It's a great ap, has the cals of over 4 million foods in it so you can find everything.

Thanks will have a look

I second MPF. I use that too and when I record properly I find myself very conscious about what goes in my mouth. You can change the settings to monitor the levels of what you eat and sugar can be one of them

I would use my fitness pal or calorie king. Calorie king has some great support tools and forums that work wonders when you are having bad days.

I think the best thing is for clean eating is lots of fresh fruit and veges and home made. We even make our one pizzas every now and then with basic healthy stuff and minimal cheese. Just for when we want a treat... I think the biggestbthing for us is portion sizes which calorie king helps with. I know it took us a few weeks to used to it and then we would feel sick when we ate processed food.

My favourites were looking up different salad recipes as well as stir fry

Since my last post in here I'm down another kilo, so 1.6kg down in total. Yay!

Calorie king is good too. I used to use the forums a lot, lots of good food ideas on there.

Sorry haven't replied for a while it's been crazy, I was doing well and seem to have relapsed but I'll get going again tomorrow when the kids are back at daycare and I have time to think smarter about what to buy

I know I relapse every month or so when I go shopping when I'm hungry. I tend to buy crappie foods then because I'm already hungry. I also find writing out what we are going to have for dinner for the period helps cut down on the bad stuff as well as the waste.

I relapse when my weight loss stalls. And it has stalled. Boo I'm stuck on 69.9kg (which is 2kg down in total). I hate this!

I have been doing no/low sugar for about 4 months now. And yes, pretty much everything has sugar in it! I would stay away from anything from a box or packaging. The problem with My Fitness Pal and those sort of apps is it's difficult to get correct answers unless your scanning barcodes from a box. I did substitute with honey, try stay away from artificial sweeteners if you can. You would likely be setting yourself up for fail by cutting all sugar AND fats etc. So maybe cut out sugar first, but still allow some fats (provided it's not take out every few days lol) I found cutting sugar made a huge difference in my belly. The bloat went away and it's almost flat now.
    I make these choc truffle balls with dates and they are delish. Just boil a good hand full of dates in a bit of water to soften and puree with a stick mixer. Process some oats until fine (bout 3/4 cup) Chop some walnuts or macadamia nuts or any nuts and add about 3 good tablespoons of cocoa. Mix all together and roll them in coconut and store in the fridge. The dates give it the sweetness so you don't even need honey.