Thread: Plantar faciitis treatment advice

Default Plantar faciitis treatment advice

I was just 'officially' diagnosed with plantar faciitis (swelling and pain in the ligament that joins your heel to the ball/toes in the foot). I've suspected I had it for a fair while and have been trying to help it myself at home with some massage, stretching and strengthening. I have also lost a little weight, which may help too. The pain has lessened, though not gone entirely.
    The sonographer has booked me in to get some steroid injections, which is a way to treat the pain and swelling. I have an appt with my GP on Monday to go over it and discuss if I really need the injections. I would prefer to try other treatments like physio before going for injections.
    Has anyone had any experience with this? What did you do about it? Anyone have advice?
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Plantar faciitis treatment advice

I took nurofen 2-3 times per day for about 2 weeks and purchased a pair of asics (I think) trainers that are designed to support the arch and heel of sufferers properly.
    I found a 95% improvement just in these two things.
    Spend the $ on shoes/inner soles.
    It's so well worth it.
    I had suffered for approximately 8 months and it had become really debilitating.
    I only have flare ups now if I wear the wrong shoes and am on my feet all day. I take nurofen straight away and that seems to relieve a lot of the inflammation.

Thanks Livinthedream. I don't find much relief in taking paracetomol or ibuprofen. My GP said that's fairly common with Plantar faciitis though. I do find relief with supportive shoes. I will be visiting a podiatrist once I have a bit of spare cash. It's all going to cost money, which we just don't have right now!
    Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm still unsure if I should have the injections or not?

Have you tried the ibruprofen 3xdaily for a week?
    That what I did.
    It's not for it's pain killing properties, it's more for the anti inflammatory response

I got it quite suddenly after buying a pair of unsupportive runners. I walk for 40 minutes every day wearing ASICS shoes normally. Going back to the ASICS relieved it quickly. Sounds like yours is more chronic but the supportive shoes was the key for me.

I had the same thing and it caused me no end of pain. I refused the injections offered as I knew it would only be a short term fix, and went to a physio, who gave me some easy exercises to do, and when in got really bad, I would roll a cold can under my foot for relief, it worked for me! I also invested in a new pair of runners, I couldn't afford anything too expensive, so ended up with some from Skechers, which worked a treat, they were from the local DFO outlet and drastically discounted, I think they were about $40, but they were from their shape ups range, which are shaped differently and gave me the support on the arch that I needed. It only took a few weeks of wearing them and I was back to normal!