Thread: Quit Smoking Support

Default Quit Smoking Support

Welcome to the Quit Smoking support thread. This thread is for those of you who want to kick the habit but would like support from others going through the same journey as you.

Your Moderators of this forum are
    Niliac - Administrator

For help and advice on quitting, contact the Quit line on 13 78 48 or visit their website here or visit the Australian Government Quit website here

To get you started off in a positive note, below are some of the health benefits to quitting;

• After twelve hours almost all of the nicotine is out of your system.
      • After twenty-four hours the level of carbon monoxide in your blood has dropped dramatically. You now have more oxygen in your bloodstream.
      • After five days most nicotine by-products have gone.
      • Within days your sense of taste and smell improves.
      • Within a month your blood pressure returns to its normal level and your immune system begins to show signs of recovery.
      • Within two months your lungs will no longer be producing extra phlegm caused by smoking.
      • After twelve months your increased risk of dying from heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker.
      • Stopping smoking reduces the incidence and progression of lung disease including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
      • After ten years of stopping your risk of lung cancer is less than half that of a continuing smoker and continues to decline (provided the disease is not already present).
      • After fifteen years your risk of heart attack and stroke is almost the same as that of a person who has never smoked.
    Last edited by Astrolady; August 31st, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

I am a reformed smoker - I quit in November 2005 after smoking for nearly 10 years and was 23 when I quit ( not a good statistic to have... 10 years of smoking at age 23! but oh well). It was not my first attempt at quitting, I had had many unsuccessful attempts over the years and was determined that my 2005 attempt would be my final attempt.

I went through the NSW Health QUIT program and used nicotine patches for 2 months - I stopped using them as they did cause insomnia for me and very vivid dreams but my resolve to quit was strong and I made it! I found the support of the email program and follow up phone calls to be invaluable.

So I would like to offer my support anyone attempting to quit

TK, I too stopped smoking in Nov 2005 but mine was after 15 years of smoking

I stopped cold turkey after finding out I was pregnant. It was definitely easier than I thought it was going to be. I had attempted it in the past with other pregnancies, but always slipped in the few sneaky ones. In the end I thought I would give up when I was good and ready and then made a date for myself in which I refused to be smoking past. I definitely didn't want to be smoking when I turned 30. I found out I was pregnant 4 weeks before my 30th so it was just another reason for me to stop.

Since then I have had a few friends quit too who agreed that they thought it would be a lot harder, and I have also had some friends who have had difficulties. My advice would be to make sure you're going to be 100% committed to giving up. I found being able to say 'I haven't smoked in xx days/weeks/months' was a real boost for me.

Good luck to anyone out there thinking of or about to give up smoking

I think the best way is determination and self control. There are also anti smoking pills in the market but they may have some side effects on your health. Quitting naturally leads to better health conditions. You may get addicted of these drugs instead of smoking.

Congratulations on quitting smoking & finishing your degree Diame! You're very right, little by little it gets easier and the determination is what gets you there in the end. I am still a firm believer that if you have your heart 100% set on giving up it is a much easier battle to win

tried so many times but once I get back to my chair and start working, I start smoking as well..

Subscribing for accountability, i quit after 10 years in 2010, had DS in April 2011 and started smoking when i went back to full time work in September last year. I quit on 27 December 2012 cold turkey and had only a few minor slips so youpretty much smoke free for nearly two months :-)

That is good work so far ~phyrephly~

Default Re: Quit Smoking Support

I quit smoking, but I have no started it up again I am trying really hard to quit again ATM so could use support

Default Re: Quit Smoking Support

How long had u quit for before taking it up again? What worked last time?

Don't be too hard on yourself you can get back to being a non smoker and you'll be so much better for it!

I gave up four years ago and have had one small slip back in that time. It was an extremely stressful time in my life and I started smoking 1 or 2 a day for a few months, my family didn't know not even my husband. I got sick of sneaking around and hiding things from DH so I kicked the habit again and haven't looked back.

Good luck!