Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Severe heartburn attacks :(

Default Re: Severe heartburn attacks :(

thanks Amaunet and Mistyfying, that makes me feel better the surgeon scared me with risks and possible complications !

I didn't even have a drain. Being in hospital overnight was actually really restful (compared to the chaos at my house) and I joked I'd be back in the next week for them to take something else out Severe heartburn attacks :(

I spent 2.5 weeks in total in hospital last year due to gallbladder issues.

If this is the case, get it out sooner rather than later.

I left mine as I had work pressures - and was in hospital for six nights, (two before and four after the operation) and it was done as an emergency one. It would have been much easier if it were planned. And if I hadn't left it so long that it had become a complicated removal.

I felt awful for months beforehand but better afterwards.

I also have post cholecystectomy syndrome. They don't generally tell you about that. Google it.

The sooner it is out, the better.

Amaunet haha I wish I could have that attitude about it

Divvy that sounds awful, at the scan mine wasn't inflammed but had a 'fair few' stones in it, my surgeon did tell me about all the complications which is partially why I'm scared, at the moment I'm not having much pain but I'm scared of another bad attack like I had but part of me thinks that might not happen again for a while and I have time to procrastinate about it.

My biggest concern is leaving my (15 month old) baby for an indefinite time, it was a real struggle to conceive him and then he had life saving surgery at 4 days old so I have a lot of anxiety about being away from him and he is still breastfeeding so that's an extra complication

Get it done before it gets worse. Do you have PHI? The right hospital may let DS stay with you.

No PHI and this hospital definitely won't let my bubba stay with me

*UPDATE
    I just had an ultrasound and I do have gallstones. Have to wait for doctors report to confirm anything though. I'd like to request an endoscopy (??) to double check it's not reflux or GERD. I am having a hard time trying to work out which one it is. What do you think?
    Reasons I think it could be heartburn:
    *attacks happen every 3 months or so
    *Always happen in the afternoon/evening
    *Has happened once after drinking cider
    *has happened once after eating lunch and then having a nap on the couch.
    *Occasionally have had fizzy burps that sting my nose and I don't drink softdrink

Reasons it could be gallstones:
    *attacks are not frequent
    *attacks are severe and lasting longer (from 20 min to 45 min and now 2-5 hours)
    *can't pinpoint any particular foods causing it
    *have never experienced heartburn/indigestion before pregnancy.

I don't want unnecessary surgery so this is driving me insane! But I am so scared of having another attack that I am losing weight because I am scared to eat things. I have a tiny dinner (as to avoid over eating) and then nothing until next morning.

Ah I thought they would find gallstones, that is the most likely cause then of your symptoms, why do you think it could be something else ?

Quote Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
    Ah I thought they would find gallstones, that is the most likely cause then of your symptoms, why do you think it could be something else ?
    Apparently you can have gallstones with no problems/symptoms. You would never know you had them. I think the doctors can see if they have moved or are moving?? Something along those lines.
    I had read on google on a few forums that people had their gallstones removed and still had pain. I really don't want the surgery if I can't be sure.

My gallstone attacks always started feeling like reflux but then progressed from there. Taking Gaviscon normally sorts out reflux in about 30 min, but when I was having the gallstone attacks it made no difference, except for making my vomit all fresh and minty LOL (because gallstone attack always progressed to vomiting and writhing around in pain). And yes gallstone attacks can be intermittent, but they tend to be set off by either fat/oil or alcohol. So no fish and chips.

I think if you're still concerned about GERD, your dr will suggest getting onto a GERD medication. If you've been taking that regularly & then you have an attack that would suggest the symptoms are caused by gallstones.

Marydean my doctor prescribes me Nexium, but I seem to be getting headaches and feeling a bit foggy. Plus I NEVER remember to take it every day. My mind is completely fried after having dd, not joking I used to be sharp as a tack! But I will try and take it every day and see if I have another attack.
    Haven't vomited so far, but the attacks leave me unable to carry on a conversation or do anything other than rock back and forth.Plus the last attack I must have drank 1/2 a cup worth of antacid and it did nothing. But I am sure it has eased it in the past, maybe 30-40 min later. So confused!

Hmmm, tricky. I remember being concerned about a similiar thing (ie, what if the symptoms aren't really from the gallstones) but in the end, the surgeon told me it was the total picture, eg, the blood tests, the symptoms, etc that made him confident that was what the problem was. So your doctor will also have a clearer diagnostic picture than what you can determine by googling (LOL).

Yes I hope so! I have another appointment on wednesday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12