Thread: Sore back relief :(

Default Sore back relief :(

Over the past 2 weeks my back has been so sore. It's my lower back and it's a dull ache, hurts more when I bend certain ways. Last night it woke me up several times and I felt I couldn't get comfortable. I suspect this is from lifting dd as she is now about 12 kg. I don't really do anything else that involves heavy lifting nor have I had any injuries to it. So what do you do for a sore back? I know exercise and keep moving (not hard with a toddler lol) I have a wheat pack, any good to use it? Physio or chiropractor are absolutely not in my budget at the moment so they are a no go.
    What other ideas does anyone else have?

Default Re: Sore back relief :(

Yes for the wheat pack. Also some voltaren gel, deep heat or nurofen gel to rub on it may help.

Thanks Artechim! I have one of those heat pad things that stick to you on. It seems to be easing the pain a bit. I think I might have some voltaren gel somewhere to now that you mention it

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I use ice packs when I get that low niggle pain - Chiro advice; pillow between knees at night as well - seems to help keep spine better aligned (doesn't seem to get worse)

I get you on the lifting child thing - fairly sure that's why my back isn't quite settling at the moment, a somewhere around 13-14kg semi-clingy nearly 3yr old isn't helping me for now

Look up yoga stretches on YouTube. I find that the back stretches work wonders. That being said, not sure how much time you have...

I have a 23kg 3yo, so I'm hearing ya
    I also have an injury from the spinal insertion when she was delivered.
    Recently I have been doing some core and back strengthening with my PT. My sore back has improved a thousand fold. She really has me working on my posture too. Google some pilates exercises for back and core. Cost nothing and need no equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by leckert View Post
    pillow between knees at night as well - seems to help keep spine better aligned (doesn't seem to get worse)
    Yes! I have been doing this and think it has helped. Well I haven't woken during the night with a sore back since

Will google some yoga and some pilates stretches too. Trouble is by the time I actually get to sit down after work, daycare pick up, dinner, dishes, bath, reading and bed, I am knackered!! But I will try my best. Don't want this to get worse later on.

Thanks ladies

I twinged my back getting out the car this afternoon sitting with ice pack on back now. Was also going to start core strengthening exercises tonight (plank hold mainly) to help my back but not game to tonight (thankfully I can do Chiro tomorrow afternoon)

Ohhh the plank hold! My core is so weak so this is a real challenge for me. Sorry you hurt your back too! The deep heat patch thingie gave me some relief. I had it on for 8 hours

Planks might not be so great without someone to make sure your technique is spot on. Bridges (with your shoulders on the ground) or reverse planks are better. There's heaps on pinterest.

I was going to try the lady version (ie knees not toes)